Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

See, that is a move I could completely understand and would have no issues with him taking

It is the Daily Mail so you have to take it with a pinch of salt but it says he has one or two grumbles over recruitment. WTF I’m pretty sure he rated both Vestegaard and Bertrand and probably played a part in us acquiring them. He can’t be against us signing two highly rated young players in Daka and Soumare, surely ? Doesn’t make sense…

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It is the Daily Mail so you have to take it with a pinch of salt but it says he has one or two grumbles over recruitment. WTF I’m pretty sure he rated both Vestegaard and Bertrand and probably played a part in us acquiring them. He can’t be against us signing two highly rated young players in Daka and Soumare, surely ? Doesn’t make sense…

Yeah, thought the same. 

Perhaps he wanted more funds for a winger? Or more likely, the Daily Mail is making things up for controversy. 

The Telegraph article leaves no doubt he’s staying and committed to us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

...I  would think he is alluding to the Berardi's and Gosen's types we failed to pick up due to failure to qualify for Chamipons League. 

Said before that he would  be coming out with this, it was always going to be his go to as a reason for any short comings.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 11:42, Aus Fox said:

So Brendan with the 7th most expensive squad finished 5th last season.

Potter with the 13th most expensive squad finished 16th.

Who is better at getting the best out of what they’ve got?

Price tags can be irrelevant at times and total nonsense. It's not the value of the squad that counts, it's the quality. 2015/16, Leicester City 21.5m, Manchester City 300m, so how does that work then?

Of course, more money spent sometimes/often equals success but not always does it. How much have Manchester United spent since Ferguson left and how successful comparatively in return have they been? Also just because we bought Vardy and Marhez astutely for about 1.4m doesn't mean now that Brighton or any other club could buy like for like at a similar price.

Also, Rodgers got lucky with the squad he inherited when he arrived, what did Potter have to deal with at the time he arrived there? It really isn't that simple. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwiturk said:

If you look at that way. Brendan should get us into top 3 according to wages he receives.

No need to be moron here. In Real world,  when the heavily paid corporate person or CEO' s receives that kind of money and not delivered a desired outcomes, they get fired.

So far Burnley, Crystal Palace, BHA and Legia Warsaw games was a huge let down and we are sitting at the bottom of the EL table.

By the way, I don't think Potter is the right person as well.

Time to bring a Champion coach..

In the real world the person who is outperforming the resources they have at their disposal is doing a great job - Brendan is outperforming his resources.

By your logic, if Pep went to Norwich tomorrow and became the highest paid manager in the league there, they should win the league - reality is they have the worst squad in the league and if he kept them up he’s achieved his target.

For me, when you look at the money and the squads the top 4 have, our target is to be the 5th best team in the country.

To do that, we need to put perform Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Everton who all have similar, if not great budgets to us. 
This season so far has been a disappointment, but no business in the world (maybe Watford FC aside) sacks a higher performing manager for a disappointing quarter - it happens success isn’t always linear.

There needs to be setbacks, there needs to be things learnt, and then we kick on from there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

There's absolutely no way Newcastle will be competing at the top end of the table within 3 seasons btw. We said all this with Everton who have also spent a fortune and the best they'll probably do is this season where they'll be 6th or 7th.

Newcastle is going to spend a lot more than Everton.  That's still no guarantee of CL-level success by a long stretch, but the comparison doesn't really hold.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Newcastle is going to spend a lot more than Everton.  That's still no guarantee of CL-level success by a long stretch, but the comparison doesn't really hold.

Mate they can’t 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ FFP rules mean they can only be 200m in the red over the next 3 years

the comparison holds up completely …:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, enmac said:

Journo on Talksport says Man City are interested in him to eventually replace Guardiola. 

Why would he go to a club with no fans and no history to replace possibly the best coach European football has seen 

Rodgers is accused of being deluded but is he that deluded ?? 

Moyes took the Manchester bate and it almost destroyed his career ! Took him 10 years to get over the failure of replacing a Great manager in Manchester 

• Like 1

Newcastle this, Newcastle that. It’s getting annoying. They want success straight away, but to attract big players you need to be playing in big competitions, Newcastle haven’t managed that in…well decades.

We tried the throw everything at it when we had Sven. ‘Big manager’, money on players. Didn’t work. Brought back Pearson and a more measured approach applied, result…. progress, promotion, then thanks to his foundations, premier league.  

it’ll take this season to sort out the mess, next season to stabilise then they can push on.

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

FFP means Newcastle can’t do that their estimated over spend is £200m inc wages, that’s about 3 players of a top level

Newcastle are never going to be a top 4 team in next 5/6 years owing to FFP 

just isn’t happening 

As I clearly say though, there are tons of players out of contract next summer who can move around for free. 200m will get them a lot more than 3 players.

Just now, FoxyJim1987 said:

Yeah I think the manner of that final day defeat showed just how far off the top they were though.

It was an effect of the existing owner the former Thai PM about to leave as he was on the run. They were actually way up the table that season until about February and fell off a cliff. Managed to beat Man United home and away. 

I ****ing love Brendan, I’d take a bullet up the ah-rse for this one. I’d take an effing truncheon up the ah-rse for this one. Or an umbrella. I would open up an umbrella up inside my ah-rse for this one.

Edited by ScrumpyJack

Sorry to disappoint you but he's staying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Grumbles over recruitment? His mate is in charge of recruitment.

Is it any surprise, he was so bullish about staying when he dismissed the Spurs links. We all thought we'd be properly going for it in the summer for him to be that so assured. Yet circumstances prevented us getting in the targets we probably had earmarked. Not really anyones fault except that twat at Villareal and possibly the training methods. So he can't be too irked at those above him in regards to recruitment.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lionator said:

Honestly think we're underestimating what we have at Leicester. In out and out league terms we're not going to be competing year on year. But we have a squad to compete for cups, we have not only great owners but great staff on the board and most importantly we have stability. Not many clubs actually have stability. Only a fool would walk out of such stability, unless of course there is a much much better offer (which Newcastle isn't, yet). 

Any manager is only 3 or 4 losing games away from the sack. In that sense there is no such thing as stability for a manager. Seen the flack BR has been getting in recent weeks?

• Like 1

Whoever takes the first Newcastle job now will have a tough job. They have to recruit really well, fan's expectations are through the roof and their squad needs a complete overhaul, so I'd think it's a poison chalice for one of the top managers in the league. 

It's an exciting prospect but I don't think it's primed for Rodgers yet even if he was tempted. Give it a few years and maybe his head could be turned but I'd seriously doubt he'll go there now. 

16 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Any manager is only 3 or 4 losing games away from the sack. In that sense there is no such thing as stability for a manager. Seen the flack BR has been getting in recent weeks?

That's the thing though ,some of those who desperately hope he won't go to Newcastle will join the throng of those calling for his sacking if we lose even two in a row. We won't sack him  of course ,only a slide into the bottom three would make that likely.

Newcastle are suddenly not going to become champions league qualifiers. Top players are not going to take a gamble and sign for suspect owners and a club currently near the bottom. Plus their squad has been named and they can only sign more players if they sell current ones. Long way to go for them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Why would he go to a club with no fans and no history to replace possibly the best coach European football has seen 

Rodgers is accused of being deluded but is he that deluded ?? 

Moyes took the Manchester bate and it almost destroyed his career ! Took him 10 years to get over the failure of replacing a Great manager in Manchester 

ManC history wasn't comparable with the best before they sold out to UAE but it was way better than no trophy since 1955 Newcastle.