Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Southampton away pre-match

Whilst I appreciate no one wants to be cocky (including me) with our team/form we should be winning the next two and all but seal CL before we face much sterner tests.

Not saying we will - nothing is guaranteed in football, apparently some 5,000 to 1 no hopers won the league not so long back - but we should.

15 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

Its the lack of any liquid in take that has the effect. 

As someone who's fasting as well during Ramadan (and playing 30 mins of football at the weekend), its no easy task, and clearly I can't compare that to the intensity of a Premier league game where little Wes is getting up at some time around 4 o'clock in the morning to pray and then playing a 90 min Premier league match and having to train hard with no food or water every day too.

I've seen him make the odd stray pass, and that's all I'm doing in the games I play at the weekend (I'm not brilliant at the best of times, but dehydration makes it harder to concentrate). I find around 7 o'clock I hit a wall, as too do other family and friends fasting. I'm sure Little Wes is in much better condition than me, so maybe he doesn't do that, but I'm certain he'll feel the effects in some way.

He seems to be doing a great job and luckily in last nights game it was agreed he could break his fast and got liquid in take after 35 mins, but, as we saw when he came off after 60 mins against West Brom, its going to have an effect.

I'm a huge fan of Little Wes, and can't see him being dropped, but not sure I totally agree that it won't have any affect. Food fasting, maybe, but no liquids all day ... thats the hard part.

Great insight that, thanks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, reynard said:

Another simply massive game. I really feel we need to win. Anything less will put us under a lot of pressure in the last three matches.

Agree Reynard

With the last three opposition, I think Fri is the proverbial must-win game. Not only will that take pressure from us, it’ll put pressure on the chasing teams 

21 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I was having a whinge about Maddison last night, he kept coming so deep for the ball it compacted everything leaving no ball through the lines for Ndidi and Tielemans. 

I’m not sure how fit he looked, I wonder if Perez will get a run Friday has not got 2 hattricks against Southampton? 

Maddison wasn't great v Palace but I certainly wouldn't ever be jumping to replace him with Perez unless absolutely necessary because of a lack of fitness. Maddison is several levels better than Perez in terms of creativity and goal threat.

I did notice him coming deeper v Palace; in his really good run of form before his injury he was virtually playing as a second striker. The emergence of Nacho and the change in formation to a front 2 means that he can no longer do that. He now needs to find space in the lines between Youri and Wilf and the front 2. What we don't want is his getting in the way of Youri or duplicating the latter's role. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Maddison wasn't great v Palace but I certainly wouldn't ever be jumping to replace him with Perez unless absolutely necessary because of a lack of fitness. Maddison is several levels better than Perez in terms of creativity and goal threat.

I did notice him coming deeper v Palace; in his really good run of form before his injury he was virtually playing as a second striker. The emergence of Nacho and the change in formation to a front 2 means that he can no longer do that. He now needs to find space in the lines between Youri and Wilf and the front 2. What we don't want is his getting in the way of Youri or duplicating the latter's role. 

...Madders at times has a tendency to drop so deep in order to find the ball, and this has caused problems before!!!

Perez is more robust than Madders and this I suspect is being rewarded by Rodgers. Maddison had picked up his game being braver when contesting the ball but has recently reverted to ducking out and at present Rodgers will opt to keep Perez in, as he knows what he will get as opposed to Maddison.

15 hours ago, Blarmy said:

The thing is, we aren’t the players. So it makes no difference whatsoever how confident we are as a collective group of City fans and forum users. 

The fans affect the team, the mentality and the club. We don't operate in a vacuum.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The fans affect the team, the mentality and the club. We don't operate in a vacuum.

And how would that manifest itself in the real world? Someone on here saying “I’d like us to finish 2nd” would somehow reduce the chance of us getting CL?

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

And how would that manifest itself in the real world? Someone on here saying “I’d like us to finish 2nd” would somehow reduce the chance of us getting CL?

The players go out onto the pitch after seeing the word "fearless". Words and expectations influence behaviour. I'd call that the culture of the club.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Perez playing in behind the strikers. Madders should start to get fitness and sharpness up to speed but Perez has impressed me with his work rate, skill on the ball and tackles.

team for me would be the same team that started against Palace. Give Thomas a run of games, I think he’s done well and will only get better.

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-press-conference-live-5351499

13:54JORDAN BLACKWELL
Iheanacho record?
“Firstly to him, he’s very talented. His mentality is to work hard every single day. I remember coming into here and he wasn’t playing so much, there were doubts about whether he could play to the level, but I think that was because he hadn’t play regularly. But he was always confident. When he did play with Jamie, he showed they can play together. It was never about ability, it was about his resilience to keep going until he got that chance. We all love him here, he comes in with a smile. You see how courageous he is. He does a lot of finishing exercises. He wants to get better and the coaches are great with him.”

Vardy helping Iheanacho?
“I would say so. The two together, their strengths complement each other. Both can threaten in behind. They have a synchronised way of playing. Jamie hasn’t scored the goals but his movement has created space and that’s helped Kels. My only worry with him is that he is running out of celebrations. Hopefully he can keep scoring and keep celebrating.”

Resilience v Palace?
“You need that if you want to be a top team, being able to win in different ways. Everybody who has played against Palace knows how tough it is. You have to work to get a result. To go 1-0 down and score two goals, I was so happy for the players. I’m really pleased with how calm we were and the patience we showed.”

Feel for Hasenhuttl?
“I always have empathy for managers. I sent him a message afterwards. But their response showed how good a manager he is. They have quality players and they came back very well.”

13:53JORDAN BLACKWELL
9-0 v Saints?
“We set a record that evening. We played very well, we managed the game well. We could have scored more goals. We had 20 minutes where we didn’t score. The weather was awful but that’s in the past. That result will have no bearing on the result at all.”

Out of Euros?
“Yes. It’s a shame because he has been outstanding. The most important thing is to get his knee right.”

Barnes close?
“No, he’s had a slight setback. He’s just gone in to have a second minor operation to clear up some of the damage in his knee. That will rule him out for the rest of the season. The plan is to get him fit for pre-season.”

13:30JORDAN BLACKWELL
Good afternoon!
Hello there and thanks for joining us.

Rodgers has just sat down, so updates will come through in around 20 minutes.

• Thanks 2

On 28/04/2021 at 03:45, Mehrez said:

I hope it rains and Southampton pick up an early red card

Forecast is that there's a chance of rain.

We can do it on a sunny afternoon at Wembley, but can we do it on a rainy Friday night in Southampton? :whistle:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Maddison coming deeper was reminiscent of the times when Chilwell reached a dead end about 10 yards into the opponents' half and needed to make a short square pass; either Maddison or Barnes had to drop back to receive it. 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Good lord, absolutely no excuses not to tear these a new arsehole tomorrow tonight. Missing 4 key players and horribly out of form. If we turn up fully on it we'll ravage these.

3-0 loss, Che Adams hat trick

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

where have you read this? Can't see it anywhere. Bloody hope so though! 

Hasenhuttl announced it in his press conference.

Although despite mentioning Redmond, I think that may have been a slip of tongue:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-04-29/team-news-southampton-vs-leicester-city-premier-league-ralph-hasenhuttl

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2