Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Chelsea away, Tues 18th May (For Ric Flair)

Just looking at Chelsea’s team. It is pretty young. They’ve no real leaders in the team at the moment which is probably why they’ve been inconsistent. 

Silva, Rudiger, Alonso, Kante and Giroud are obviously experienced, but I wouldn’t class any as leaders.... Silva was part of the Brazil team that was dismantled by Germany a few years ago. 

As we’ve seen with us, a young side can be very inconsistent, and it’s probably why Chelsea are struggling on big occasions. It’s okay being full of talented players, but it’s usually the old guard that drag you through. As we saw on Saturday, big performances from the likes of Kasper, Vardy’s tireless running and Albrighton’s energy and effort all helped in my opinion. Chelsea don’t strike me as having anyone like that, and sometime younger teams can be a bit over zealous which can cost them. 

Im not saying tonight won’t be tough because it will, but Chelsea might come out the blocks too hard, too fast and leave themselves exposed? 

It’s going to be interesting, I think we will come away with something, but I also would not rule out a win either. 

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Just looking at Chelsea’s team. It is pretty young. They’ve no real leaders in the team at the moment which is probably why they’ve been inconsistent. 

Silva, Rudiger, Alonso, Kante and Giroud are obviously experienced, but I wouldn’t class any as leaders.... Silva was part of the Brazil team that was dismantled by Germany a few years ago. 

As we’ve seen with us, a young side can be very inconsistent, and it’s probably why Chelsea are struggling on big occasions. It’s okay being full of talented players, but it’s usually the old guard that drag you through. As we saw on Saturday, big performances from the likes of Kasper, Vardy’s tireless running and Albrighton’s energy and effort all helped in my opinion. Chelsea don’t strike me as having anyone like that, and sometime younger teams can be a bit over zealous which can cost them. 

Im not saying tonight won’t be tough because it will, but Chelsea might come out the blocks too hard, too fast and leave themselves exposed? 

It’s going to be interesting, I think we will come away with something, but I also would not rule out a win either. 

I don't entirely disagree with the thrust of your post, but I can't let the comment about Silva slide. The guy has captained Milan, PSG, and Brazil to many trophies - one terrible result doesn't make him a poor leader. I'd also class Azpi as a leader, even if he was looking a bit leggy in a demanding wing back role on Saturday.

The game will certainly be tough but as you say - anything could happen.

Edited by egg_fried_rice
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

You conveniently left out the actual captain, Azpilicueta, who’s pretty universally acknowledged as a strong leader.  And Silva has the rep of a guy who’s grown into a leadership role after some ups and downs.

10 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

You conveniently left out the actual captain, Azpilicueta, who’s pretty universally acknowledged as a strong leader.  And Silva has the rep of a guy who’s grown into a leadership role after some ups and downs.

Azpilicueta doesn’t play all that often though does he? Granted I overlooked him, but, I can’t see him playing tonight. I think they will bring Christiansen back in to the back three. Kante might miss out apparently and Kovetic is injured isn’t he? 

It will be interesting. I fancy us. 

Like, I really want to be up for today's game, but I feel a sort of football-related post-coitus relaxation which is stifling my excitement completely. 

Feels like a bit of a nothing game in comparison to Saturday although it completely isn't. 

Daft though it sounds, after winning the FA cup, as a lifelong City fan, I’m satisfied. I can grow old in the knowledge that we’ve got the cup that has eluded us for decades.

Therefore... I’m not too concerned now if we don’t make top four.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for us to play in the CL but if we don’t quite make it now, the blow would be more than cushioned by lifting that trophy last Saturday

My head says that we’ll lose tonight and Liverpool will sneak in. I just think Chelsea will be out for revenge and tonight’s game is going to be very very tough

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Azpilicueta doesn’t play all that often though does he? Granted I overlooked him, but, I can’t see him playing tonight. I think they will bring Christiansen back in to the back three. Kante might miss out apparently and Kovetic is injured isn’t he? 

It will be interesting. I fancy us. 

As lovely as it is to see Kante, that would be delightful! 

We are 4/1 to win this, very nice odds. Tempted to stick £20 on us for £100 returns. We've had long odds for both matches so far this season and beaten Chelsea in both of them.

Chelsea fans on their forums don't seem overly confident

Tuchel made a mistake taking a lot of speed out of his team on Saturday. He played James as a CB to cover Vardy but this left them with Azpi at RWB which was easier to defend. 

They will have Havertz, Chilwell, possibly CHO all in. Lots of pace. So we are likely to play deep 

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Really can't lose this game if we're going to get champions league as it'll be out of our hands with Liverpool's goal difference as well.

Crystal Palace used to be Liverpool's bogey team at Anfield. With luck, maybe Palace will surprise us all again. They also have that 7-0 drubbing at Selhurst Park earlier this season to avenge.

6 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

We are 4/1 to win this, very nice odds. Tempted to stick £20 on us for £100 returns. We've had long odds for both matches so far this season and beaten Chelsea in both of them.

Chelsea fans on their forums don't seem overly confident

You can get 9/2 in some places.

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Here we go again then. Just don't lose. We can beat Spurs on Sunday.

Jesus I wish we hadn't dropped so many points to the dross earlier this season. Fulham and Newcastle at home in particular. 

I know - but we did. I agree with just about all the differing opinions in this thread. I reckon there's a shock win on tonight, be hopeful :) 

16 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Like, I really want to be up for today's game, but I feel a sort of football-related post-coitus relaxation which is stifling my excitement completely. 

Feels like a bit of a nothing game in comparison to Saturday although it completely isn't. 

Sort yourself out. I e got a slab of beer chilling in the fridge, 100 fags at the ready. I should be good for the first half at least. 

Come on, THIS is the big one now. Let’s get it ON!!!!

Oh yeah, just remembered, I don’t smoke so not sure what the fags are for really, other than a banter point. 

Edited by ARM1968

31 minutes ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Whatever the result tonight and against Spuds, I really hope that no one starts knocking any of the players or BR if we end up outside the top four.

Disappointed of course, but an FA cup win and European football guaranteed, how is that not a successful season ?

I say if we don't make top 4 let's go all out and win the europa league because has we all know anything is possible let's dare to dream foxes never quit

• Like 1

Chelsea need to win, huge pressure on then, if we can get a goal they will need 2, huge pressure, nick early goal or keep it tight and let them attack more at end, then sneak a breakaway goal, spurs away the year we won the league was a masterclass, this can be too