Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

You won't be because that's not how football works, funnily enough. 

When you're surrounded by better players you're more often than not going to improve your game and be a better player. Not to mention you don't always play with a man less each game. That was one game. Since then anyway, Southampton were one of the form sides for the rest of the season so would he not be part of the reason for that as well? Or is it just the 9-0 that he gets remembered for? 

I just remember a scene where he was too slow to react and the ball slipped past him to Nacho.

But hopefully you are right.

OK. So Southampton fans generally were pleased to sell and recoup most of the £18m for him. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, but let's not expect too much. The Southampton fans all say he's slow. They also say quite a bit that he gets beaten a fair bit in the air.

That's still ok by me. Different team now (with all due respect to Southampton), different playing system, different manager...I could go on. The thing they did say about him quite a lot was, they're going to miss his balls out from defence, pinging diagonals etc. They all seem to appreciate he has some good skills too. We've had slow defenders before, we must have factored this in when watching him. 

I'm pleased with him signing. 

54 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

OK. So Southampton fans generally were pleased to sell and recoup most of the £18m for him. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, but let's not expect too much. The Southampton fans all say he's slow. They also say quite a bit that he gets beaten a fair bit in the air.

That's still ok by me. Different team now (with all due respect to Southampton), different playing system, different manager...I could go on. The thing they did say about him quite a lot was, they're going to miss his balls out from defence, pinging diagonals etc. They all seem to appreciate he has some good skills too. We've had slow defenders before, we must have factored this in when watching him. 

I'm pleased with him signing. 

Not really quick like Huth, Morgan and Evans to a degree.

Little Wes (when fit) and Soyunchu love to attack as do our wing/full backs, we need someone intelligent to hold fort

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Defenders don't always need to be quick. I'd rather have one that knows WHEN to push and hold than one that's constantly legging it back for a last ditch tackle.

Agreed. Hopefully, he'll read the game like Johnny Evans 🤞

Honestly, I've always had my reservations about Vestergaard. I'm in some ways surprised he was such an integral part during the Euro's. He probably hasn't developed as much as expected after his move from the Bundesliga, but even there I thought he was error prone or just not as solid due to his lack of pace/agility. He'll be decent for us and will likely shine in the games against the Burnley, Everton, Brentford etc who use big strikers and his ability on the ball is deceptively good.

The Athletic article about Vestergaard signing does not make encouraging noises about Jonny Evans. This signing was clearly a dynamic change of direction, as the article highlights how it differed from the original plan (another Fofana) and the need for experience due to Jonny’s questionable fitness.

Rodgers will sort his positioning out and he’ll be a monster for us. Can see he’s in there to Marshall our defence and take some ownership of the line.

Early signs of really strong ball playing skills too.

2 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We were warned he was rubbish by saints fans on SaintsWeb forum, and they were begging him to be be sold for over a year, but fans on here really thought he would be brilliant

I’m sure this was his first game for us…

• Haha 1