Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

20 minutes ago, KingsX said:

If you have the Athletic, there’s an analysis of Jannik’s play with his own input:  https://theathletic.com/2329997/2021/01/22/vestergaard-interview-southampton-hasenhuttl

He paints himself as a Maguire-like player.  Former mid, good on the ball (and thinks highly of his own ability in that regard).  Prolific with the long diagonal out ball.  If we can release Ricardo early, it will be second nature for Jannik to hit him deep and in stride.  That may help make up for our shortcomings on the right wing.

He’s also got the turning rate / recovery speed of Maguire.  But it seems he’s good, not great in aerial duels.  You just can’t get away with takedowns in the box if you’re not wearing a United shirt -- or if you’re 6’6”.

Probably the end of Tarkowski’s Leicester Dream.  Poor guy.

Doubt it, ever chance that Soyuncu becomes a target of one of the bigger teams, and Evans is a year older.

Experienced PL defender on a free only 28, think we will still be interested.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Why only three years ??

either he thinks he can get a big deal somewhere at 30 or we are seeing him only as a fill in ……

(and I think someone tweeted it was three years yesterday so that officially ITK status! ) 

Could've got a big signing on fee. Higher salary. Club have a 5 year plan and Fofanas injury has had a knock on effect onto Vestergaard's contract length. Who knows. Happy days though.

Edited by UHDrive

41 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So why only 3 years? Most signings seem to be 4 years plus unless the player is in his 30's.

Vestergaard is only just 29.

He's not a player we in normal circumstances wanted or had budgeted for. I guess 3 years is the minimum we could attact him.with and preserve his reslae value if we cut him.loose next summer or summer after. 

Hopefully he'll however fit in snug as a glove, Evans and Albrighton style

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mark said:

Soyuncu at RCB though? ☹️

I was more thinking if we are ever subjected to 3-4-1-2 again. Vestergaard is actually good with his right foot too so if Soyuncu honestly struggles in the RCB role then they could swap but I think he'll pair up well with Ricardo and it won't be a problem. 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I was more thinking if we are ever subjected to 3-4-1-2 again. Vestergaard is actually good with his right foot too so if Soyuncu honestly struggles in the RCB role then they could swap but I think he'll pair up well with Ricardo and it won't be a problem. 

I thought vestergard was right footed

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Vestergaard and Bertrand, in their departure messages to Southampton, were quoted as saying 'if you can't beat them, join them. Enjoy the relegation battle suckers!' 

:ph34r:

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Vestergaard and Bertrand, in their departure messages to Southampton, were quoted as saying 'if you can't beat them, join them. Enjoy the relegation battle suckers!' 

:ph34r:

The fact that Vestergaard played as CB in that game left me think since news emerged we are getting him extremely concerned. Why are people so excited …? I don’t want to be receiving end of 9-0 …

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

The fact that Vestergaard played as CB in that game left me think since news emerged we are getting him extremely concerned. Why are people so excited …? I don’t want to be receiving end of 9-0 …

You won't be because that's not how football works, funnily enough. 

When you're surrounded by better players you're more often than not going to improve your game and be a better player. Not to mention you don't always play with a man less each game. That was one game. Since then anyway, Southampton were one of the form sides for the rest of the season so would he not be part of the reason for that as well? Or is it just the 9-0 that he gets remembered for? 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Officially classed as " both " footed which I think is the same for Jonny Evans too. Vestergaard favours his left foot but only just.

In that Athletic article posted earlier he says lots of his teammates assume he's left footed, but he's actually stronger with his right. So he can play RCB with Cags at LCB, or probably the ideal quarter-back-style central defender in a three at the back. Spraying passes all over the shop.

• Like 2