Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Norwich v Leicester Pre Match Thread 28/08(3.00)

18 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

My point though is that whilst he looks inconsistent, he's actually posting good stats, the same level as Barnes who doesn't seem to get the same scruitiny.

Where are you getting these stats from out of curiosity? I was sort of surprised so looked at the Premier League stats and I'm not sure how they represent performance. Albrighton beats Barnes on all criteria except goals. And many not marginally either. Albrighton and Mads are much closer (excluding goals lol) and in many important criteria Albrighton beats Mads. I think it's simply that Barnes makes runs and scares defenses, gets the crowds up on their feet. He adds that extra dimension that means he escapes the scrutiny in the same way. Maddison's best stat' and the one he beats either player by is passes... but if they're mostly sideways or safe then so what? 

He goes missing way too much for his inconsistency to be some mental anomaly I'm imagining. 

People don't like us playing out from the back and I totally get it, but it's high risk high reward. If you beat/play through their press, you put yourself in a really good attacking position. We have players like Maddison and Tielemans who are so good on the ball and should be pivotal to beating the press, so we have to have confidence in our own ability to do so. We've definitely had more success from it than failure, but it just sticks out when it doesn't work. 

6 minutes ago, shailen said:

People don't like us playing out from the back and I totally get it, but it's high risk high reward. If you beat/play through their press, you put yourself in a really good attacking position. We have players like Maddison and Tielemans who are so good on the ball and should be pivotal to beating the press, so we have to have confidence in our own ability to do so. We've definitely had more success from it than failure, but it just sticks out when it doesn't work. 

It’s more of a the fact we don’t like Daniel Amartey playing from the back! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shailen said:

The reason why at times playingout from the back doesn't work is because at times we are to slow, just look at the west ham game ,we are better than that 

10 minutes ago, John rayner said:

The reason why at times playingout from the back doesn't work is because at times we are to slow, just look at the west ham game ,we are better than that 

Do you think it's possible with teams that sit back like that, playing with a more creative midfielder than Wilf may be beneficial? He's great at breaking up play  the best, but we maybe better playing with a more forward thinking midfielder there against teams likely to sit back. I thought that's what soumare was for

14 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s more of a the fact we don’t like Daniel Amartey playing from the back! 

13 minutes ago, John rayner said:

But what is the alternative. Launch it long towards Vardy or Barnes. We're just going to give possession away and struggle to create anything of note playing that way. Teams will just stay deep and compact to nullify our threat. I agree with the point about it being slow and predictable against West Ham, that was our downfall, but I don't think we give it up totally but instead work on making it more effective. 

22 minutes ago, shailen said:

But what is the alternative. Launch it long towards Vardy or Barnes. We're just going to give possession away and struggle to create anything of note playing that way. Teams will just stay deep and compact to nullify our threat. I agree with the point about it being slow and predictable against West Ham, that was our downfall, but I don't think we give it up totally but instead work on making it more effective. 

I don’t disagree, playing out from the back is the best way to begin a phase of possession…

It just so happens, that we’re bereft of defenders, and we’re frankly wank at it at the moment, when we’re out of form we’re so static that we don’t move enough into space and just end up surrendering possession and having to defend. 

West Ham was just highlighted how weak we are at the back at the moment, a team presses us, we will make a mistake and we will end up conceding.

We just need to out score Norwich at the weekend!

• Like 1

Weren't they equally as bad and couldn't score for love nor money last time we met?

That day, Rodgers put out a very negative side out and we lost. Arguably and certainly for me, that was the start of our downward spiral.  No excuses this Saturday, we need to get straight at em!

433 for me please, release our new players on them from the start and last seasons top scorer!

Schmeichel 

Ricardo Armarty Soyuncu Bertrand 

Soumare Tielemans Ndidi 

Daka Iheanacho Barnes

Subs: Ward, Vardy, Maddison, Castagne, Thomas, Albrighton, Benkovic,  KDH, Choudhury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

Where are you getting these stats from out of curiosity? I was sort of surprised so looked at the Premier League stats and I'm not sure how they represent performance. Albrighton beats Barnes on all criteria except goals. And many not marginally either. Albrighton and Mads are much closer (excluding goals lol) and in many important criteria Albrighton beats Mads. I think it's simply that Barnes makes runs and scares defenses, gets the crowds up on their feet. He adds that extra dimension that means he escapes the scrutiny in the same way. Maddison's best stat' and the one he beats either player by is passes... but if they're mostly sideways or safe then so what? 

He goes missing way too much for his inconsistency to be some mental anomaly I'm imagining. 

Purely talking goals&assists which obviously doesn't tell the whole story. But TransferMarkt.

Norwich away 2 years ago is firmly under the 'when we're bad under Rodgers, we're ****ing terrible' category. In fact both games against Norwich that season we were pish. 

Hoping Rodgers has learnt lessons since then. I don't think we could've asked for a better game to bounce back in than this fixture after the West Ham game. Would like to see Daka and Vardy in a front 2. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 09:26, volpeazzurro said:

Great idea, we've already seen this idea last season. Wilf is no centre half and no better in that position than Armarty. Being our best midfielder also it weakens it drastically. Then you compound the problem by sticking Castagne there who was an absolute disaster and his stats proved it. You've also put him in perhaps the most combative position on the pitch for his first appearance after serious injury wearing a face mask, that's bound to bolster his confidence. 

If you think our defence is weak, you've effectively weakened it more. We could try picking a decent midfield line up to both protect the defence and support a talented front line. We haven't tried that one yet.

We're playing bloody Norwich and it was Rodger's piss poor lack of ambition tactics that lead to such a poor and non scoring team get a result against us last time. 

I see your point !

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Norwich away 2 years ago is firmly under the 'when we're bad under Rodgers, we're ****ing terrible' category. In fact both games against Norwich that season we were pish. 

Hoping Rodgers has learnt lessons since then. I don't think we could've asked for a better game to bounce back in than this fixture after the West Ham game. Would like to see Daka and Vardy in a front 2. 

:wes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shailen said:

I'm not a manager, but the way we play causes me concern at times.

Schmeichel has the ball - he'll roll it to Soyuncu, who in turn will roll it to Amartey, who again will roll it back to Soyuncu, (post shortened due to boredom, but the ball ends up with Schmeichel, who will start the whole thing again). This causes panic to a large number of our supporters, who are aware of how many times we lose the ball in midfield and the attacking third, and don't see any good reason why we should come perilously close to losing the ball in defence as well, especially when we don't need to..

I take on board the playing out from the back thing, I am well aware that we have strong midfield players who can pick a pass or two. However, I have to ask on what number of occasions Schmeichel has had the ball and it ends up in the opposite net without an opposing player touching the ball. I would guess it's only two or three times a season. Doubtless someone will have the stats, which would interest me.

I can't work out why Schmeichel has largely given up the habit of kicking the ball into touch round about the half-way line. It causes lots of people a muttered swear word or two, but providing we get the press right, it gives us a 40%-50% chance of winning the ball back in an advantageous position. I do not see what is wrong with this.

Maybe it's a sign of Rodgers being as near as possible to being the perfect manager, which may come in handy for his next job at PSG or Bayern. We do well with it sometimes (hence the FA Cup and 2 top 5 positions) - but I can't help thinking that there's an element of shithousery involved at Leicester City, and we would do well to remember that.   

• Haha 1

Part of the problem is that the all the main CBs that could/would come out through the defence and lay off a decent ball are injured. Big Dan did try it once on Monday night and did ok getting up the RHS, but he hardly anyone to pass to. Vestergaard can do this as well, but he's currently out. Bertrand can do it, hopefully he's over Covid and will be back on Saturday. No one seems to want to take the risk of pushing forward and possibly losing it, but also possibly setting the attacking midfield on their way. Evans is good at coming past the the opposing attack and then spraying a ball forward, but Cags doesn't really do that, Big Dan doesn't usually do that (probably down to his confidence). By the time they've finished passing about and are set to move forward the opposition have set themselves and most forwards passes are not viable. RiccyP and Thomas are at their best when they're already moving forward and can run onto passes and progress up the field, but to get them going we need to be able to start with the quick one-touch triangles so they can move on into that space.

BR did say in the interview after Monday that we needed to be quicker moving the ball and I have to agree, but that also means that the midfield and attack have to be in position and wanting the ball. We need (as a team) to quicken it up straight away as soon as we win the ball back. Sometimes we're so lethargic we may as well hoof it and go from there.

Edited by blabyboy
grammar

6 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

Evans is good at coming past the the opposing attack and then spraying a ball forward, but Cags doesn't really do that

Yeah he does, but not so much lately. Possibly because his confidence is at a low ebb - but mainly I'd suggest, owing to the absence of Evans alongside him. 

• Like 1