Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Harry Souttar signs!

• 1 month later...

https://thewest.com.au/sport/soccer/souttar-wants-to-stay-and-fight-for-leicester-spot-c-12581338

Souttar wants to stay and fight for Leicester spot
Anna Harrington
AAP
Thu, 16 November 2023 4:34PM

Socceroos defender Harry Souttar insists he wants to stay at English Championship leaders Leicester City and fight for his spot, rather than seek a January loan move for more game time.

Towering centre-back Souttar has been a fixture of the Socceroos defence since making his debut.

He earned a dream move to then Premier League club Leicester after excelling at last year's World Cup, and played 12 games.

But since the defender's January 2023 move, Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers was sacked, the Foxes were relegated to the Championship and Souttar has fallen out of favour and rarely sighted.

The 25-year-old has made just one Championship appearance under Enzo Maresca and had one other start in the League Cup, but has largely been relegated to the bench.

After scoring a superb header in the Socceroos' 7-0 World Cup qualifying win over Bangladesh at AAMI Park on Thursday, Souttar addressed his club future.

"I definitely want to stay and fight for my place, for sure," he said.

"Obviously, I know it's difficult with the results we've been having.

"But I've had a good couple of conversations with the manager and he knows that whenever he needs me, I'll be 100 per cent ready.

"They're flying at the moment, top of the league, so it's hard to get in.

"But all I can do is keep my training levels up, keep my fitness levels up, and, when called upon, be ready and hopefully perform well."

Souttar will hope to earn more game time before January's Asian Cup.

In September, before Australia's friendly against Mexico, Arnold urged Souttar to use the Socceroos as his "stage" to show his coach how good he was and prove he should be playing.

That's the sort of faith Souttar is determined to repay.

"I feel fortunate that I've got the boss backing me and keeping his faith in me even though I've not been playing football. I know that," he said.

"He's been very good with me and to me in terms of starting me in games when I've not been playing club football.

"It's kind of a frustrating time but I can't really complain too much because they're top of the league and the boys are flying.

"It's just great to be back on the grass with the boys and I just love every minute of it."

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/soccer/souttar-wants-to-stay-and-fight-for-leicester-spot-c-12581338

Souttar wants to stay and fight for Leicester spot
Anna Harrington
AAP
Thu, 16 November 2023 4:34PM

Socceroos defender Harry Souttar insists he wants to stay at English Championship leaders Leicester City and fight for his spot, rather than seek a January loan move for more game time.

Towering centre-back Souttar has been a fixture of the Socceroos defence since making his debut.

He earned a dream move to then Premier League club Leicester after excelling at last year's World Cup, and played 12 games.

But since the defender's January 2023 move, Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers was sacked, the Foxes were relegated to the Championship and Souttar has fallen out of favour and rarely sighted.

The 25-year-old has made just one Championship appearance under Enzo Maresca and had one other start in the League Cup, but has largely been relegated to the bench.

After scoring a superb header in the Socceroos' 7-0 World Cup qualifying win over Bangladesh at AAMI Park on Thursday, Souttar addressed his club future.

"I definitely want to stay and fight for my place, for sure," he said.

"Obviously, I know it's difficult with the results we've been having.

"But I've had a good couple of conversations with the manager and he knows that whenever he needs me, I'll be 100 per cent ready.

"They're flying at the moment, top of the league, so it's hard to get in.

"But all I can do is keep my training levels up, keep my fitness levels up, and, when called upon, be ready and hopefully perform well."

Souttar will hope to earn more game time before January's Asian Cup.

In September, before Australia's friendly against Mexico, Arnold urged Souttar to use the Socceroos as his "stage" to show his coach how good he was and prove he should be playing.

That's the sort of faith Souttar is determined to repay.

"I feel fortunate that I've got the boss backing me and keeping his faith in me even though I've not been playing football. I know that," he said.

"He's been very good with me and to me in terms of starting me in games when I've not been playing club football.

"It's kind of a frustrating time but I can't really complain too much because they're top of the league and the boys are flying.

"It's just great to be back on the grass with the boys and I just love every minute of it."

Better defender than Vestegaard and a half decent passer, would be nice to see him play more if Vestegaard won’t sign a new contract. He’s the future!

• Like 1

Great attitude but I just don’t think the system suits him, I also don’t think it suits Vesty although he’s been a revelation compared to recent years. 

We have too many defensive mistakes in us and often gift 2-3 clear chances just from us losing concentration every game. 

Our system requires players to be able to play with 50 yards of space behind them and Souttar and Vesty can’t do that long term. 
With that in mind though, it really does depend what long term looks like for us tactically, should we get promoted we won’t be able to sit so high up the pitch in the top flight. So then the question becomes is he good enough for the top flight? 

Souttar should ideally get some game time but if Coady can’t even get into the squad I don’t think Souttar is going to get the nod ahead of him any time soon. 

Great attitude though. 

It's a really complex conundrum. I like him. And defensively.from set pieces he's a god send. 

But Wout Faes is on another level. Vestergaard is playing an almost unique quarterback role. And we need pace or a.left footer in that third slot. 

The thing in his favour is Vestergaard is off in the summer (or even January if we got offered money) and I personally would invest more efforts in a.okayer who has years left with us 

Edit, tbh, he's well above Coady (who I have never really rated) in skill set..apart from Leadership, Coady was always an incongruous sorta signing) 

Edited by Paninistickers

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

It's a really complex conundrum. I like him. And defensively.from set pieces he's a god send. 

But Wout Faes is on another level. Vestergaard is playing an almost unique quarterback role. And we need pace or a.left footer in that third slot. 

The thing in his favour is Vestergaard is off in the summer (or even January if we got offered money) and I personally would invest more efforts in a.okayer who has years left with us 

Edit, tbh, he's well above Coady (who I have never really rated) in skill set..apart from Leadership, Coady was always an incongruous sorta signing) 

Let's be honest, getting 5 mil for Vesty in January would be a hell of a bonus. Coady or Souttar could easily finish the season.

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hard to take Australia seriously as a sporting nation when our fourth choice centre back is the best player that's ever played for them.

Appreciate you're just fishing for reactions here and I've bitten but Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka and Tim Cahill say hello. Pretty sure he's not even the best player in their current team.

All that said I do rate Souttar and can see him stepping up to first choice at some point if he can bide his time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Appreciate you're just fishing for reactions here and I've bitten but Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka and Tim Cahill say hello. Pretty sure he's not even the best player in their current team.

All that said I do rate Souttar and can see him stepping up to first choice at some point if he can bide his time.

Danny Tiatto and Spider Kalac will be offended when they see this.

44 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Definitely the best player they have right now, certainly not close to the best player they’ve ever had.

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

tbh, he's well above Coady (who I have never really rated) in skill set..apart from Leadership

Harsh on Coady. Coady is a better passer of the ball, for starters. 

This is someone who's won several caps for England, don't think Souttar has ever been at that level. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He says they twice and we once. We to refer to the club having good results and "they've been flying". Pretty obvious that they means the starting lineup rather than being a hidden "I actually want out" meaning 

I still thought it was quite telling. It stood out for me too. It's still an obvious separation between himself and the players that are currently playing. 

I dont think Coady would have been referring to the team as "they" while he was on the sidelines watching. He very much inserted himself in to it and made himself part of the whole squad experience. 

I'm not trying to psycho analyze and condemn Harry Souttar over semantics but it did leap off the page to me as well tbf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I still thought it was quite telling. It stood out for me too. It's still an obvious separation between himself and the players that are currently playing. 

I dont think Coady would have been referring to the team as "they" while he was on the sidelines watching. He very much inserted himself in to it and made himself part of the whole squad experience. 

I'm not trying to psycho analyze and condemn Harry Souttar over semantics but it did leap off the page to me as well tbf. 

One the theme of Australia, I think we should nickname Coady, Conor Coadfish after Toadfish from Neighbours. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Harsh on Coady. Coady is a better passer of the ball, for starters. 

This is someone who's won several caps for England, don't think Souttar has ever been at that level. 

Coady is a better player. His positioning alone is better.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 14:25, Fox92 said:

Coady is a better player. His positioning alone is better.

His he.….:dunno:

Coady is at the end of his career…

Souttar 25yrs, a baby for CB,he still has a long journey before him…

I hope he can push his cause like Vestergaard has these 15 games,and steps

into being a major cog for our successful Era Enzo builds for us..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Another goal today - got to be knocking on the door for his aerial ability from set plays alone!!! 

Following 2 defeats in 2, with the 'success' that both Harry Souttar and Daka have had during the international break, both should be given serious consideration for a start against Watford, imo

• Like 1

I absolutely wouldn't be against Souttar getting more pitch time this season, and his size and presence would be useful in both defending and attacking set pieces. But whilst he does carry an aerial threat offensively, his international scoring record shouldn't be a justification for him coming back into the team. A couple of goals against Bangladesh and Palestine won't change make Enzo flinch. If he comes in it'll be for other reasons.

His international scoring record is good craic though. He had 4 goals in his first 2 caps from CB with braces against Nepal and the Chinese Taipei. Will be an actual f**king giant made of f**king bricks to them! lol