Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Wilfred Ndidi

16 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Suffered badly during covid. 

Still hoping the player he was will return but he was painful to watch at times last season.

One of my fav player's I've seen in the shirt. 

Fully agree with you @themightyfin

At his best, he was incredible. He’s clearly struggle for 18 months though. Whether that is the injuries catching up with him in terms of overall fitness, or simply restricting his overall reflexes and agility. 

He was one of the best destroyers in the world, with some incredible stats. 

He isn’t that player and it was a hard watch at times last season. If we can get money for him and find a suitable replacement, another member of the squad that will be on a heavy wage, moving on. 

Take the money and run if the rumours are true. Do it early so we have some cash to splash while the window is open. 

but, you just know we will agree to terms on the last day of the transfer window and the shelves will be empty. 

• Like 1

Probably resulting from Brendan's tyranny, Ndidi looked so shot of confidence that he became quite difficult to watch towards the end of the season.

He seems like a really decent person and I wish him well - filling Kante's boots was pretty much impossible, but for a while, Big Wilf managed it. 

• Like 2

The most likely scenario is, as Babylon mentioned, he's probably older than he claims to be. But even if he's 5 years older the decline is still pretty drastic.

8 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Was it Wilf of the African contingent that they questioned his age or was that Musa?

Age was questioned mate yeah. Think it was his Nigeria U17 squad that came into question as they failed MRI scans 

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don’t particularly blame Rodger’s trying to make him play more with the ball the actual problem with Ndidi. Yes it didn’t suit his game but he’s physically no where near the same player. No dominance in his game no assurances he’ll make that decisive tackle that he used to be capable of. If Rodger’s had succeeded it actually would’ve prolonged ndidi’s career but now it seems to me he’s in a unstoppable decline and the Saudi league or of similar ilk are his only true options 

23 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's going to be interesting to see how the PL handles not being top of the money tree anymore. The whole USP of the league will be gone in a few years imo

Yeah losing Wilfred Ndidi must be a major wake up call to the Premier League

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ah yes because that's exactly what I meant 👍

No but what you meant was equally daft.

The Saudis don't really want to try and replace the Premier League, if they did they wouldn't be buying in to it. They can't really place the Premier League, I think even with extreme hubris or intense naivety they'd still have the common sense to appreciate that the "soul" of English football is part of the product. Fans around the world are invested in Liverpool and Anfield, United and Old Trafford, the history, the rivalries, the identities and iconographies of those clubs matter. We might cringe and roll our eyes every time BT Sport roll out the same tired, deluded tropes about how the atmosphere at Anfield is so special but a lot of the international audience laps that shit up.

Nobody's going to care about generic Saudi football club they've never heard of #1 and because nobody is going to care, they aren't going to attract the best sponsorships, they aren't going to attract the best players. There's a reason they're targeting high profile OAPs and mercenaries. Yes, they want to raise the profile of the Saudi league and probably make it the biggest outside of Europe but they're going to be well aware that the "real" products are the Premier League and the Champions League and that's not changing any time soon.

The Chinese (whose economy is vastly greater than Saudi's) tried for all of about 5 minutes before giving up and going back to investing in European football instead.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

Much of his decline was due to Rodgers trying to play Ndidi as something he's not, a ball playing midfielder.

When all his job was to tackle and pass to Youri, that was when he was at his best. 

He was great under Rodgers for a season or two. People forget but Puel tried to play both N'didi and Mendy together and it was horrific.

58 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

A year left on his deal, we need to sell regardless- hopefully get a decent fee but I’d only expect around £10m max now 

Still talk of big money for him, as the stats still stack up.