Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

3 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Wish Nico would stop the we are a  young side no overseas player etc he keeps trotting out Derby have made the QF with no overseas player and a squad no stronger then ours

Nixon's untouchable because he's Nixon. Fair play, he's a club legend but he gets a free pass from everyone. If he was PDB he'd have been getting hammered from all angles for these performances.

6 minutes ago, Narborough Bod said:

Nixon's untouchable because he's Nixon. Fair play, he's a club legend but he gets a free pass from everyone. If he was PDB he'd have been getting hammered from all angles for these performances.

Totally agree loved Nico has a player and he's a great guy but everyone who follows the club know Ali Dearden Klein are nowhere near good enough why not look at Alex Evans Nick Welch etc look for free loans look at guys without Contracts elsewhere Michael Richardson Mark Footitt  Chesney  Hughes etc don't just play players who offer nothing game after game

Feels like we are close to the last chance saloon. Somehow we need to find 2 or 3 players who can contribute in all formats next season, and Tom Taylor to stay fit. A proper top order batter and a decent bowler. Hopefully an overseas with a strong work ethic. It must be a pretty tough gig working at the Club at the moment with so little end product to promote.

The club are nowhere near sharp enough when it comes to recruitment. Get stuck with players on long term deals and leave themselves with no options. 

Overseas players you can get discounted if you take a look at touring teams or their touring a teams. 

We seem not give any 2nd players in decent form a go. 

To be honest I’m actually quite pleased with that T20 campaign as I went in to it not sure if we’d win a game. At least we saw some wins, record crowds and a few fantastic moments. In the end it’s the same points as last year but slightly closer to the top four.

People are right about passengers and it’s sadly quite obvious who they are. I know it’s to do with money but can’t help but think if Abbas was in instead of Klein we’d maybe at least have got those two extra wins and snuck into that fourth place.

On the Nixon good will, a lot of that is also down to what he achieved in the county championship last season. It makes the dip after that first game this season so disappointing especially with the extra place available for going up this year. Next year (presuming he’s still around) will be an important one for Nixon in terms of his own coaching career but as many of you have already pointed out, the recruitment side needs to improve massively.

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The club are nowhere near sharp enough when it comes to recruitment. Get stuck with players on long term deals and leave themselves with no options. 

Overseas players you can get discounted if you take a look at touring teams or their touring a teams. 

We seem not give any 2nd players in decent form a go. 

On your point regarding the 2nds they’ve topped the North Championship group and play Hampshire next week for the title .

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

What's the general budget for a cricket team these days? And what's Leicestershire's approximate budget? I know we're financially struggling so getting someone in, even a quality overseas player, is going to be difficult. 

Our wage bill  for the playing stand was almost £2M last year higher then most in Div 2 that's why we are skint Khan handing out big contracts left right and centre.With a smaller squad this year the likes of high earners like Carberry Pettini Delport gone and Horton and Dexter on much less then the original contracts will be much less then that this year.

• Like 1

I agree with much of the above. Those people on here all the time know I was an advocate of Asad and I know Welch to be a very good player. I also think one of Stevens or Trego would be useful for a year. Chesney Hughes, Karl Brown both decent. 

Next year Evans should be playing. I also think Lilley should be playing until the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, Cake said:

I agree with much of the above. Those people on here all the time know I was an advocate of Asad and I know Welch to be a very good player. I also think one of Stevens or Trego would be useful for a year. Chesney Hughes, Karl Brown both decent. 

Next year Evans should be playing. I also think Lilley should be playing until the end of the season. 

Nico don't seem to rate Evans at all.Read on Twitter that our great new signing Rhodes don't even produce much in club cricket sure he's wrong that lad will play for England Lol

• Haha 1

This month's Cricketer reports that Colin Ackermann is looking to secure a long term deal as an overseas player, rather than on his EU passport. This is because all players that aren't England qualified will be exempt at the end of the 2020 season, once we leave the EU (unless the ECB change their rules). Therefore there will only be one spot for an overseas player and it's why players like Harmer at Essex are contemplating residency and indeed being available to play for England at the end of next year. 

The T20, despite finishing bottom, hasn't been a complete non-event. We've beaten three teams who qualified and were well in contention in the final week of a very tight group. It is certainly no Glamorgan who managed their only win in the last game.

If Nixon goes, he goes. We are likely to finish bottom in all three events which isn't a good look. I just don't know where we go.

2 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

This month's Cricketer reports that Colin Ackermann is looking to secure a long term deal as an overseas player, rather than on his EU passport. This is because all players that aren't England qualified will be exempt at the end of the 2020 season, once we leave the EU (unless the ECB change their rules). Therefore there will only be one spot for an overseas player and it's why players like Harmer at Essex are contemplating residency and indeed being available to play for England at the end of next year. 

Seems a very baffling article for Ackerman to get a visa  to play as an OS player  he needs to be a current test or international or have played test or ODis in the last 18 months which won't happen he's not good enough to play for SA plus unless he's had a change of heart he's due to play International cricket for Holland in October in the World T20 qualifers.No County would sign him as an  OS player  anyway useful as an EU passport holder but that's about it

7 hours ago, everton carr said:

Seems a very baffling article for Ackerman to get a visa  to play as an OS player  he needs to be a current test or international or have played test or ODis in the last 18 months which won't happen he's not good enough to play for SA plus unless he's had a change of heart he's due to play International cricket for Holland in October in the World T20 qualifers.No County would sign him as an  OS player  anyway useful as an EU passport holder but that's about it

It's a good point, he could be clutching at straws himself and I'm not sure playing for Holland would count in terms of being an overseas player as they are not test playing nation.