Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I fvcking hate it when Leicester fans speak for more than themselves.

It's just odd when your disdain for a certain person within the organisation somehow magically manages to dominate your passion for your club.

Imagine me developing a dislike for Neil Plumb, just because I hate his pictures. lol

Leicester City's resurgence has caught the attention of the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/15/foxes-of-leicester-city-have-a-chance-to-pull-off-premier-league-miracle/

There are some good stuff for stattos there, with stats showing Leicester are doing a much better job creating scoring opportunities, and an interesting take on the Nigel Pearson sacked/not sacked controversy (did Leicester get the best of both worlds?).

• Like 1

Leicester City's resurgence has caught the attention of the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/15/foxes-of-leicester-city-have-a-chance-to-pull-off-premier-league-miracle/

There are some good stuff for stattos there, with stats showing Leicester are doing a much better job creating scoring opportunities, and an interesting take on the Nigel Pearson sacked/not sacked controversy (did Leicester get the best of both worlds?).

Thing is, all of us fans new we had good attackers on their day, but not many other clubs knew much about us and the thing i've noticed about the prem is that a lot of the clubs and their fans are very insular, believing their clubs have far better players because they are more expensive and more well known. I think i saw something about stoke fans thinking they'd hammer us at their place because we had no star players. When we played Utd, everyone stood up and took notice, which meant our attackers became targets for other teams to nullify, which is what happens in the prem. Look at burnley, which are basically a one trick pony, mark Ings out of the game and they become shit. Now we seem to have a few more options. Last week against southhampton, vardy had defenders all over him, but marhez was left unmarked and scored the goals. When we played swansea who attack down the wings, they would have set up to target Konchesky feeling that was our weakest and slowest side and low and behold up pops schlupp at left back running with strength and pace at their defence. There does seem to be a lot of complacency and lack of homework done on us, and now we're at the business end of the season, i think we're taking advantage of that.

Thing is, all of us fans new we had good attackers on their day, but not many other clubs knew much about us and the thing i've noticed about the prem is that a lot of the clubs and their fans are very insular, believing their clubs have far better players because they are more expensive and more well known. I think i saw something about stoke fans thinking they'd hammer us at their place because we had no star players. When we played Utd, everyone stood up and took notice, which meant our attackers became targets for other teams to nullify, which is what happens in the prem. Look at burnley, which are basically a one trick pony, mark Ings out of the game and they become shit. Now we seem to have a few more options. Last week against southhampton, vardy had defenders all over him, but marhez was left unmarked and scored the goals. When we played swansea who attack down the wings, they would have set up to target Konchesky feeling that was our weakest and slowest side and low and behold up pops schlupp at left back running with strength and pace at their defence. There does seem to be a lot of complacency and lack of homework done on us, and now we're at the business end of the season, i think we're taking advantage of that.

I think you're right about fans being insular. Interestingly enough television ratings figures suggest fans prefer more familiar teams and more predictable matches more and more whereas in the past fans used to watch more unknown teams and more evenly-matched teams.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/10/premier-league-tv-viewers-sea-ingle

Anything that's unfamiliar, and especially anything that comes up from the Championship, is assumed to be poor, and despite the PL-FL divide, that's not so in every case.

I can understand fans (and the media) dismissing Leicester's attacking chances offhand. What I almost can't understand, though, is how opposing managers and players have been caught off-guard by a resurgent Leicester City. Not only do some of these teams have great managers (e.g. Southampton), but every team also has a wealth of scouting resources and they'd all played Leicester once before. And even teams that hadn't seen, say, Leicester play 3 in the back with Huth and/or an in-form Vardy in their first meeting could have still watched video of games in the beginning of this run to get some idea of how Leicester are going to line up and play... But some of these teams have just went out and looked absolutely confused with how to deal with this.

Most of our good luck is our own doing. Some teams may be able to afford to not do their homework but we certainly can't, and it's shown.

I think you're right about fans being insular. Interestingly enough television ratings figures suggest fans prefer more familiar teams and more predictable matches more and more whereas in the past fans used to watch more unknown teams and more evenly-matched teams.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/10/premier-league-tv-viewers-sea-ingle

Anything that's unfamiliar, and especially anything that comes up from the Championship, is assumed to be poor, and despite the PL-FL divide, that's not so in every case.

I can understand fans (and the media) dismissing Leicester's attacking chances offhand. What I almost can't understand, though, is how opposing managers and players have been caught off-guard by a resurgent Leicester City. Not only do some of these teams have great managers (e.g. Southampton), but every team also has a wealth of scouting resources and they'd all played Leicester once before. And even teams that hadn't seen, say, Leicester play 3 in the back with Huth and/or an in-form Vardy in their first meeting could have still watched video of games in the beginning of this run to get some idea of how Leicester are going to line up and play... But some of these teams have just went out and looked absolutely confused with how to deal with this.

Most of our good luck is our own doing. Some teams may be able to afford to not do their homework but we certainly can't, and it's shown.

I don't think you should be looking at other teams failure in this regard but our success. These teams will of watched us play our most recent 2 or 3 matches, absolutely no doubt, all of them, and that will of trickled down. I'm sure even John 'Pearson' Carver told Collocini how to deal with Vardy, but good luck with that.

The thing is while we're playing how we are we have various attacking options, down the wings with Schlupp or Albrighton, industry of vardy and nugent (when playing) down the middle and the target of Ulloa who can hold up and score from deep crosses. Close one avenue down we find space in another, last week was an example, Southampton tried to do a job on Vardy and Albrighton only for Mahrez to pop up down the middle.

COME ON CITY!!!!!