Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Bernie

2 minutes ago, boots60 said:

I'd love to say get well soon Bernie but unfortunately with dementia that is never the case. 

Great that he saw us win the league before his illness set in.

A character in the days of too few characters.

I think the illness set in a long time ago!

I didn't know about his lifelong compassion for City up until recently, and based on my personal encounters with him - which were luckily rare - I'm one of those who felt a little put off by his behaviour. Well, more so by his body odour. :ph34r:

But I'm also glad he was able to witness our move to the top before this hideous illness got hold of him for good.

I do hope he'll be able to cherish the memories for as long as possible.

• Like 2

Don't know anything about his background apart from articles posted on here about him, but can imagine his decline came after some personal tragedy? Seemed quite intelligent of him as a young middle-aged individual from the image on the last page or so.

He's a different character, but preferred him to some of the regulars now that complain and moan at everything.

Can only presume he's receiving the best possible care he can have.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Sorry to hear. Bernie is a club legend. Have encountered his shouting on a few occasions but he was always approachable (as long as you didn't mind his ranting).

It's hard to get your head round the transformation from Bernie in the programme to the Bernie we were used to seeing around the place.

The thing which makes me most sad is seeing some of the videos of young lads (mostly) taking the piss out of him. Very distasteful to do, although I can see how he could be an easy "target" for a group of 17 year olds who've shared a 4 pack of Stella, but the act of uploading and sharing it is so cruel.

Dementia is a terrible, terrible illness having seen members of my family get it.

Also have some experience of having a relative in a old peoples home in Quorn (not sure if the same one as Bernie), and seeing the treatment by their "carers" it was quite possibly one of the most degrading and disgusting things I've ever witnessed in my life. Would be kinder to shoot me before I ended up in there.

Good luck Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I know little of dementia because, thankfully, I've never had any close personal contact with it as a disease.

However, I know that some of the most treasured and special snapshots of memory are the last to go, and that music is something that is particularly powerful. Hopefully, however poorly Bernie gets, hearing Nessun Dorma will bring a smile to his face for however long he has left.

Dementia is absolutely awful. Sounds weird to say but I hope I never get it. 

Pleased that he got to see us win the top flight though. Nobody can take stuff like that away.

• Like 1

My Grandad passed away a year ago having suffered with Dementia. He was a big city fan and he was ultimately the man that got me into it. It really gets to me that he followed the club through torrid times but wasn't in a fit enough state to experience us winning the league. It's a truly horrendous disease which leaves you with absolutely no dignity. Really feel for Bernie at this point. 

He was sitting in his usual seat today, front row near corner flag in  SK 1, he was clean and in clean clothes etc.  And after the match he was walking arm in arm with a man and his son... wondered if he was from the care home perhaps... he did not look well though but bless him, we did say hello to him and wished him well.  

• Like 1

There can't be many City fans who don't know Bernie, and he'll be remembered long after most of us have long gone.

I think it's somehow the quaint familiarity that's almost comforting.

A few years ago, I was on Lewes staion after an away match at Brighton.   Bernie was walking up and down the platform saying to himself "Barnsley.   ahhhhh. you're sshhhiiitttt"

Three young Brighton fans had that unmistakable expression of "Dad.   Why's that man going Barnsley.   ahhh you're shhhiittt ?"

I just smiled back at them, as if to say "that's our Bernie"

• Like 2

Can you imagine the passion and love this guy has for his football club?It's easy for people on here to spout shit about how much they love the club more than the next person but Bernie is a true fan and it's people like him who are the real stars of football. Without the fans there's no football. I bet he's not missed many games in decades. Image the changes he's seen over the years. Hopefully he's enjoyed some great scenes of jubilation over the last few years which bring a smile to his face when he's in a bad place.

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2