Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

A  more balanced opinion piece on Vardy's achievements and discretions:

http://www.thefootballramble.com/latest/entry/well-this-is-awkward

I don't think it is fair to put him in the same bracket as Tyson Fury who said something pretty unpleasant, not because he was angry or drunk or in the heat of the moment, but because he genuinely believes it.

It is a fair point to make the distinction between celebrating someone's achievements, and agreeing with their personal opinions and choices, having said that I still can't listen to the Lost Prophets.

The problem for me though if we're comparing who we're allowed to admire - 

- there is no proof that JV meant any harm by saying what he did. I personally had no idea that the term used was offensive until it was all over the papers, and I'd assume he didn't know either

- Fury publicly condemned gay people and those that choose to have abortions. That is proof that his views are what you might call unpalatable, or if not his actual views then he is willing to say offensive things to get in the limelight.

- Ian Watkins did rape children. Arguably the most disgusting thing a human being can possibly do, not even remotely comparable to saying something offensive in public or private

If I were a total outsider, I'd say

- Vardy's outburst was stupid yet forgivable, especially seeing as he immediately apologised, met up with the man in question and paid into a charity of his choice by way of apology. Offence: 1/10

- Fury: Would probably never have respect for him as a person, but can still appreciate his achievements. Offence: 3/10

- Ian Watkins: death penalty. Would ideally never hear about him again. Offence: 10/10

Glenn Hoddle got (rightly) hounded out of management for making astoundingly stupid comments yet Fury's still going strong despite making even worse ones (imo) and a few no-marks are choosing to focus their energy on the world's most popular sport's man of the moment despite his transgressions being fewer and despite his attempts to atone for them.  We all know why.

- there is no proof that JV meant any harm by saying what he did. I personally had no idea that the term used was offensive until it was all over the papers, and I'd assume he didn't know either

- Fury publicly condemned gay people and those that choose to have abortions. That is proof that his views are what you might call unpalatable, or if not his actual views then he is willing to say offensive things to get in the limelight.

- Ian Watkins did rape children. Arguably the most disgusting thing a human being can possibly do, not even remotely comparable to saying something offensive in public or private

- Vardy's outburst was stupid yet forgivable, especially seeing as he immediately apologised, met up with the man in question and paid into a charity of his choice by way of apology. Offence: 1/10

- Fury: Would probably never have respect for him as a person, but can still appreciate his achievements. Offence: 3/10

- Ian Watkins: death penalty. Would ideally never hear about him again. Offence: 10/10

Of course, I would probably push Fury up a couple to a 5, but all of that is subjective, which is why I can understand why Jonathon Liew would be a bit  more sensitive to Vardy's comments, in the same way a devout Christian might think Fury's views are less offensive. (I hope nobody disagrees with your Watkin's rating, other than to push it to 11)

It's just interesting what someone has to do for their achievements to be totally overshadowed by their views.

Excellent post, fully agree with it. Vardy was stupid and his behaviour shouldn't be condoned but he has tried to make amends and not hide behind excuses like banter or whatever. I think the club handled the issue very well.

Here if anyone wants to pile in, he is getting a lot of flak, and not undeserved, he seems like a typical self promoting journalist bringing it all up again to get a load of attention which he now has:

https://www.facebook.com/jonathanliewjournalist/posts/1282684545127511

He hasn't helped himself with some of his comments:

Jonathan Liew Wow, it's like a Lynx advert, but with all the hot women replaced by bellends.

It has been done to death on here, but I agree with him all racists should be shunned, but this is one of those cases where people forget what real racism is and using a nasty word in an argument does not make someone a racist, racism is believing one race/creed/colour to be inferior.

What a complete and utter tit this so called journalist has lost all credibility with this bullshit it's like a vendetta against Jamie Vardy this bloke is the lowest of the low in journalism and also to boot is a Utd fan who worships Roy Keane !!

Says it all really !!

This has probabaly already been posted but after looking around the intenet I find it funny that now vardy is doing very well other clubs are saying that they could of signed him. Well guess what you didn't and thought he wasn't good enough. They were all wrong and are now jealous of the fact they could of had him. Vardy is our's so they can all just fùck off.

Diego Costa has £28m release clause that Atletico Madrid may activate. In which case, Vardy is definitely worth £30m.

Why would Chelsea have put in such a clause for a player who was one of the best in Europe when they signed him? Is this a clause that is only activated in his 2nd/3rd season? Seems bizarre.

Why would Chelsea have put in such a clause for a player who was one of the best in Europe when they signed him? Is this a clause that is only activated in his 2nd/3rd season? Seems bizarre.

Probably Costa's agent put it in, he had a release clause at Atletico  Madrid, although it appears that his release clause at  Atletico was £32m so it is bizarre that his release clause  at Chelsea is less than that.

It is probably all press speculation anyway.

Probably Costa's agent put it in, he had a release clause at Atletico  Madrid, although it appears that his release clause at  Atletico was £32m so it is bizarre that his release clause  at Chelsea is less than that.

It is probably all press speculation anyway.

Yeah you'd not put a release clause in for less or similar to what you've paid for a player when a) you're a top club and b) the player you're signing is very sought after at the time. Fair enough if the release clause was say £50 million but even that seems odd for a relatively young player (birth certificate wise not looks wise)

Does seem odd. Pretty sure there will be some stipulations like Only if you have a ginger haired player in your u14 team. And if you do you can have costa for 28 mill. 

Clever way for Costa to either get a move if things go stale or an offer of a bigger contract if someone comes in with an offer...

Yeah you'd not put a release clause in for less or similar to what you've paid for a player when a) you're a top club and b) the player you're signing is very sought after at the time. Fair enough if the release clause was say £50 million but even that seems odd for a relatively young player (birth certificate wise not looks wise)

He's 27 isn't he? Not that young.

My point is that Vardy is 28 and while Costa has been on the big stage longer, but Vardy has been superior to him in the PL. So if Costa is worth £28-£32m then Vardy is too.

He's 27 isn't he? Not that young.

My point is that Vardy is 28 and while Costa has been on the big stage longer, but Vardy has been superior to him in the PL. So if Costa is worth £28-£32m then Vardy is too.

He was 25 when they signed him though and paid about £30+ million for him so why would there be a clause for less or a similar amount for a player with many years ahead of him? Seems odd. But back to your point, if he is worth £30 million then right now you'd have to say Vardy is as well.

If I was owner of a so called top club, I wouldn't be asking my staff to go after Vardy at all costs, maybe offer

a cheeky sum, thats all.

I love what Vardy has done, and the hights he as reached, but he has a 1/3 of a season,thats all in an enviroment he

grew into.Many of these top clubs already have their team infrastructure in place, I dont know if a player

at Vardys age , after this season, could further their 2-4 season outlook.

Plus could they guarrantee him immediate automatic 1st team selection.

Playing at Leicester from a top 8-4 position, being part of era-building,or going to a traditional famous club

crimping out a chance to become 1st choice.No doubt he would be financialy rewarded, but maybe for only

2 seasons not 3-5 seasons.

Archived