Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Redouane

Everton

I would make some changes, but not wholesale. Some of these players need to keep going.

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan (if fit) Amartey if not

Benny

Chilwell

Albrighton

King

Ndidi

Gray

Slimani

Vardy

Subs: Zieler, Amartey (Huth), Fuchs, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Musa, Ulloa

36 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

So what do we do, stay with a strong team and keep the momentum going or rest players and forfeit the game ?

I think we at least start with the strongest possible team to give ourselves the best chance of scoring first or at least being in the match at HT.

Then take it from there.

There's 5 days to go, still a decent amount of time for training (possibly even light) and recovery. I just think momentum is everything and if there are no new injury worries, it's worth the risk. Also, should we get a result at Goodison, not a bad team for our best players to have played well against - confidence wise - before Madrid.

28 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Anyone who says play a weakened side and then makes out it's not a forfeit is kidding themselves.

Pathetic attitude. They don't need a rest, they never have done.

Its probably not more of a rest but more that they dont get injured for 2 of the biggest games in this clubs history 

I would agree with playing the strongest team...except that we looked absolutely shagged after the Seville game against West ham...Don't want a repeat against Madrid

So would rather rest Vardy/Mahrez and even Shinji/Fuchs and have them fresh for the Madrid game 

Park the bus, reserve energy, play to try and nick a 1-0 but will take a draw playing away to Everton and Madrid game in the week. 

Maybe rest a few players by dropping them to the bench, 37 points means pretty much safe and can give it our all in champions league. 

I'd rest Fuchs Huth Simpson and bring in Chilwell and Morgan for a run out before Madrid and partner him with Amartey in Centre of Defence and move Benny to right back.

Rest DD and bring in King with NDidi and Albrighton.

Up top Vardy and Gray and Slim

KS

Benny

Morgan

Amartey

Chilwell

King

NDidi

Albrighton

Slim

Vardy

Gray

33 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to play a weakened team in the league. I'm sure you could get away with a few changes but not loads.

I don't know about that.  You have to name a 25 man squad and if you're playing in the Champions League then you are entitled to use that squad.

Rest the knackered ones - Shinj and Drinky spring to mind.  Gove Musa another go, he likes Everton and Slimani to start for match sharpness.

My team:

Scmeichel

Amartey

Chilwell

Bennalouane

Huth or Morgan if fit

King

Ndidi

Musa

Gray 

Slimani

Mahrez

Nothing to be gained with stressing the first team. Tonight showed they need a bit of a rest and we've got enough points already to declare. Play the rezzers and give them the opportunity to make a statement for Atletico. Remember the FA Cup... Musa's on fire,  your defence is terrified!!!! 

It's a really difficult decision and just from posters on here, you can see the divide in opinion. I would probably go somewhere inbetween, i.e rest 3-4, rather than 6-7 players.

------------------Schmeichel-----------------

Danny------Benny--------Huth--------Chilwell

Albrighton-----Amartey------N'didi-------Gray

---------------------King-----------------------

-------------------Slimani---------------------

We really need Vardy 100% for the Atletico match and doing what he does best and charging down every ball. 

I think Okazaki was off it tonight due to tiredness and we also need him at full fitness to hassle and close down. 

Drinkwater wasn't great tonight and I think a rest will do him good as he will need to be at his best again. 

I'd give Albrighton 50 minutes and then change for Mahrez and perhaps look at dropping King to CM 2nd half allowing N'didi to go off and Kaputska or Musa to come on.

Listening to his interview afterwards, Shaky's  clearly not made up his mind what to do about his team choice for Everton yet.

The big relief to me is that we've left ourselves with any option we choose because we did win the league matches against Stoke and Sunderland that so many people assumed we would win but might not have gone quite as planned.

And there's no doubting that our match schedule - particularly with three successive away game - is demanding.

But the decision's not simple .Players like to play and even more so when they're winning and working well together. They're often a suspicious bunch and some might hate the idea of changing something that's working even for a seemingly good reason and especially, if, like Vardy, it's been so hard getting into a good run of form.

If we can win five on the trot we can lose five and will we take a greater risk of doing that by changing the team or sticking with our strongest available starting X1.

I don't pretend to know the answer and it's the first time I've ever felt that way. My instinct and belief has always been to go with the best team. I think the confidence that comes from winning games and playing well together as a group that understands each other is a fragile utopia that is too easily thrown away.

If players are injured, off-colour or suffering from knocks then there's reason and excuse to be cautious but  how many of our regular side will want to be left out of the team to play Everton? Not many, I suspect, but wouldn't be surprised if Shaky talks to them all first - either personally or via the skipper - to ascertain the mood and views on the subject.

Some will say the Everton game doesn't matter much now. But lose and we could voluntarily start a negative sequence we can't stop. On the flip side, risking fatigue or unnecessary injuries after Everton might just cost us too dearly before what we know will be another demanding test against Atletico in Spain.

So it's a difficult decision and one made harder because none of the regular players will want to do anything rash against Everton that might cost them their place in the team that heads for Madrid. And if Shaky did pick his best side he'd need to guard against that and make sure everyone was focused on Everton being the next match and herefore the only one that counts right now. .

If there was another day's grace, I might think differently but as it is, and with the players having focused so emphatically to earn a bit of leeway, I'd break the rule of a lifetime and let anyone rest who needs it, providing we can still field a competitive side against Everton and genuinely compete for points.

No, I'm not at all sure I'll be right. But I think it will probably give us the best chance of continuing our Champions League adventure and, this once, I'd be prepared to accept that the players have done all they can to make the first Atletico encounter the one we need to most focus on now.

And I'd ask the "reserves" for want of a better word, to take a rare chance to force the way into my thinking for the CL match by playing out of their skins against the Toffeemen.                   

56 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I don't want to play a particularly weaker team really. I want to win it.

Could Ndidi play 45 minutes, and Albrighton too? Wes surely needs 45 minutes?

Is there a sensible point in Slimani and Ulloa up front and not Slimani and Musa?

I wish Mendy wasn't injured.

Nah no sensible point in putting those two up top together really. But as someone has already alluded to, would be a right laugh wouldn't it..

Yeah lets get the second team out. Would happily chuck this game if it meant we could guarantee a goal in the away leg. Would be nice to get a result but this is a pretty unimportant league game all things considered.

54 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to play a weakened team in the league. I'm sure you could get away with a few changes but not loads.

Take the fine.

We played a weaker team in the FA cup and it did us ok there.

I'd still like us to go there and give them a proper going over but since we are practically safe, the benefits of the CL games outweigh our current predicament in the league, so I say sod it, play a second string team and rest the players for the midweek fixture and have a right go at Athletico Madrid.  They deserve a going over more than the Everton tbh.

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think we've got to rest players. We've put ourselves in a great position in the league now. Top half! Who could have seen that coming before CR was sacked?

We'll have much better opportunities to win points than Everton away. We could be safe already, and there'll still be another 7 games to pick up the few we might need.

Got to focus on giving ourselves the best chance to progress in the the CL. Give the fringe players a chance to make a case for picking them.

I get the momentum argument, but I think the momentum will still be with the first team players if they're not involved in this and we lose. I think the argument for rotating outweighs the argument against, anyway.

Schmeichel

Chilwell

Amartey

Benny

Simpson

Kaputska

King ndidi

Grey

Slimani

Musa

6 changes for me gives us a chance of getting something, while also giving rest an some of the squad players more game time.

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

I would make some changes, but not wholesale. Some of these players need to keep going.

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan (if fit) Amartey if not

Benny

Chilwell

Albrighton

King

Ndidi

Gray

Slimani

Vardy

Subs: Zieler, Amartey (Huth), Fuchs, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Musa, Ulloa

I generally agree with this but I would rest Vardy. I think there's potential for a Slimani Musa partnership, nevermind what happened last time. And of course keep Vardy as a sub

Archived