Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Matty James to ......?

Matty James is and always has been a solid midfielder. He isn't great, he's never been great and I doubt ever will be great.

He's had two horrible injuries. His last showing in the Prem, apart from the final 7 games was a bit of a disaster AND I can't see him getting anywhere near our first team.

For the good of the player and the club, let him go to a level where he can excel and resurrect his career.

Give him a full season with the squad abd if he remains fit he'll be in the starting XI or in the matchday squad most of the time.

He's severely underrated by many, I think.

If Shakey doesn't have him in his plans then I'd be wanting way more than £4m. He was superb for Barnsley last season. These days, ambitious Championship clubs regularly pay around or above £10m for standout Championship players.

I'd be disappointed if he left at all to be honest, especially to the sheep. As others have mentioned, he was very good during the Great Escape.

I think his Barnsley spell will be like Ramsey's loan at Forest. He'll go back to his parent club fit, raring to go, and with games under his belt. James will be an asset next season I'm sure of it.

If we are signing another top CM (I hope!), then I'd loan him for a season to Derby. See how he does and reassess in 12months.

That would leave us with; new signing, Drinkwater, N'didi, Iborra in match day squad and then King and Amartey to step in when/if required. 

I do think we need to spend big on a top creative CM this window that is a step up on any of our current players though.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Matty James is and always has been a solid midfielder. He isn't great, he's never been great and I doubt ever will be great.

He's had two horrible injuries. His last showing in the Prem, apart from the final 7 games was a bit of a disaster AND I can't see him getting anywhere near our first team.

For the good of the player and the club, let him go to a level where he can excel and resurrect his career.

That's all opinion though, isn't it? He's certainly been great for us. One of the main reasons we went up with 103 points and one of the main reasons we stayed up. Players like Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy probably owe him a beer.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

That's all opinion though, isn't it? He's certainly been great for us. One of the main reasons we went up with 103 points and one of the main reasons we stayed up. Players like Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy probably owe him a beer.

spot on, just because he wasnt in the heading scoring etc doesnt mean he wasnt do a good job for us, personally think we should keep him, 

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Such hyperbole.

It really is utter nonsense to be calling Matty James 'great'. 

He wasn't great. He was part of a midfield of a City team that spent three quarters of the season rooted to the base of a division and having the longest unwinning run in the history of the club, I believe?

Great.... lol

Mahrez, schmichel and Vardy were also in that team. So by your reckoning they are shit too?

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Such hyperbole.

It really is utter nonsense to be calling Matty James 'great'. 

He wasn't great. He was part of a midfield of a City team that spent three quarters of the season rooted to the base of a division and having the longest unwinning run in the history of the club, I believe?

Great.... lol

So was Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy, Morgan etc... the failings of the manager at times and the failings of a few other players does not make everyone crap.

1 minute ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Matty needs to stay , a better midfielder than many give credit for, in todays market where Hughes went to watford for £4m James must be £12 - £15m, It will be like a new signing for us, £4m is a joke

The point is the risk. 

1. Is he going to get back into the squad let alone first team. I think squad size is 25. will his value increase after he is match fit - assuming he gets match fit.

2. If we sell him now we are guaranteed the fee (whatever that is 4/5/6/7/8 million and probably with add ones).

3. If we retain him and he doesn't amount to anything we have lost his wages over that period and his value is bound to shrink back to anything between a free and 2 million.

I think until he proves he is match fit then 4 million isn't far off the mark. Let's face it we are not going to put him in the shop window for league games when the value is so low in the scheme of things and the stakes so high when we are looking for a European berth. 

8 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

How many times have you watched him play for Sevilla over the last 4 seasons mr expert ?

lol Mr Expert. I like it.

I've seen him play plenty of times. He's a holding midfielder by trade but is able to play an emergency striker or centre half.

Say if I were to give a "familiarity score" out of 10 per position.

CDM - 10

CM - 9

CAM - 6

ST - 5

CB - 7

30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He was part of a midfield of a City team that spent three quarters of the season rooted to the base of a division and having the longest unwinning run in the history of the club, I believe?

This sounds like some sort of David Brent-ism, Col lol

"It's not that we're 'losing' per se. I prefer to think of it as 'unwinning."

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He had a major injury, before that he played regularly. He's hardly a sick note FFS, why do people feel the need to label people sick notes on the back of a major injury. Same with Mendy despite the fact before that he'd played a shit load of games without any issues.

James for me has always been a far more all round footballer than Drinkwater, another player who seems to suffer because he doesn't try hollywood balls every 5 minutes. His stats in our promotion season were top notch. If he can get back to his best he'd be ahead of at least three of our current CM's and possibly more.

We don't need £10m, so give the bloke his chance to prove he's return from injury.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#championship/2013/2014/matthew_james/93/93/10694/315/p|championship/2013/2014/daniel_drinkwater/93/93/10693/0/p#assists/chances_created/tackles_won/interceptions/pass_completion#90

Hmm, Championship stats and been injured ever since. I'm not convinced he will ever be a first team regular here, probably good for him to move on. The CM's we have beyond him will be in a battled for places as it is and I still think we need an attacking mid.

Archived