Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

15 hours ago, Nalis said:

Too many things to mention but the recent series of events if that they've lost my registration forms a couple of times (ie, my personal data) and didnt tell my missus about highly important diagnosis that happens years ago which could have significantly improved her life if she was told at the time.

I feel like there must be a world of fine details here that I couldn't know about and wouldn't want you sharing, but is it not possible the issues are more from being overstretched rather than lazy and incompetent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I feel like there must be a world of fine details here that I couldn't know about and wouldn't want you sharing, but is it not possible the issues are more from being overstretched rather than lazy and incompetent?

Using the one very small example of many, I'm not really sure how losing someone file and not being arsed to find it is a result of being overstretched. Why its not digitalised in the first place I dont know.

Edit - I'm probably being harsh, some of the issues I've encountered will be due to being overstretched of course but I'm not convinced that all are.

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I don't hate Forest either. I don't hate any other team for that matter. Pointless, wasted emotions, generally.

Admittedly I don't mind seeing them consistently muck about in the lower leagues while we flourish.

Overall, I think the world needs a bit less hatred. It takes so much energy to horrible. 

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Overall, I think the world needs a bit less hatred. It takes so much energy to horrible. 

Personally, looking at the past I'm inclined to think that blaming, hating and oppressing the "other" is very easy and takes little energy, considering how often that road rather than the higher road is taken.

• Like 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I like the verb ‘horrible!’

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I don't hate Forest either. I don't hate any other team for that matter. Pointless, wasted emotions, generally.

Admittedly I don't mind seeing them consistently muck about in the lower leagues while we flourish.

I don’t hate any clubs.

But I do maintain a regionally-based, historically-motivated, grudge-fuelled or totally random dislike for (in no particular order):

Derby

Forest

Cov

Blackburn

Swindon

Portsmouth

Spurs

Man U

Arsenal

Red Star Belgrade

Atletico Madrid

Leeds

Millwall

Stoke

and probably others I can’t think of right now…

16 hours ago, Daggers said:

I don't hate Forest.

Agree. I'm kind of glad we have no real rivals really. A lot of it is so childish.

I know a lifelong Villa fan and ST holder who goes to every home Villa game except the Birmingham ones, because he just finds it too much hassle. Too much wasted energy on songs and people saying things they couldn't get away with anywhere else and where drunk angry (let's be honest here... mostly white men) are essentially given a free range to be nasty. Rather than just wanting to watch a game.

I totally get if you've got a friend who supports Forest, Cov or Derby just having a few jokes with them at work, but to me that's no different to having a friend who supports Bournemouth or Newcastle and having a laugh with them about the game. Most all football rivalries have some nasty underbelly to them which is just no fun to be a part of.

Edited by Sampson

Growing up with consistent premier league matches against Forest, Derby & Cov was brilliant. I'd love to see all 3 back in the Prem, but I'd always want them to finish 15th,16th & 17th.

Alas, Coventry are probably the most likely to return (and that's very slim), showing how awfully the other two have been ran lately!

On 19/07/2021 at 11:43, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I hate the forest fan base. They've been horrendously racist the last few times we've been. 

34 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

How can anyone enjoy this weather unless you are by the coast.

Doing some labouring for a friend yesterday. Horrible, awful, terrible. 

Wouldn't fancy ground work in Qatar. Little wonder the workers there have had some bad incidents. 

On 19/07/2021 at 01:15, Scotch said:

That was mine too but I didn't want to presume. I would also presume that they more specifically meant, hearing about it from people who probably don't have any mental health issues, they might just be having a hard time. But in my opinion, it's worth listening to 9 people bitch and moan about how they have mental health issues when they don't if it means that, that 1 person who is genuinely affected by it finally builds the courage to talk about it and gets the help they need. 

Ah, fair enough, I should have answered your post, but didn’t as I didn’t want to get into any arguments, and don’t necessarily have a defensible position, after all this is the unpopular opinions thread lol. It’s just that I find myself rolling my eyes more and more regularly when someone on the news or elsewhere is bringing up their mental health issues.

I’m in my mid sixties and can’t remember anyone in my formative years having mental health problems (to my knowledge). How we would laugh at the Yanks and their overpaid therapists. Something has changed. Possibly the internet has driven everyone a bit crazy, but I can’t help thinking that all this dwelling on mental health has in some way exacerbated people’s issues rather than helping. Life is not a rose strewn lane of happiness, but rather has vicious turns of events that can be very challenging. This is normal life (IMO).

Suffering the stress of a hated job, financial worries, anguish caused by slights from family, friends or strangers, worrying about loved ones and relationships, sadness, hurt and a dozen other emotions are just normal life unfortunately. I confess I’m completely out of my depth here as, whilst suffering all of the above to the point where I just can’t seem to see a way out at times, I’ve never considered these issues to be related to my mental health.

Perhaps it’s just a terminology issue, as seems to arise more frequently as I get older, but I can’t help thinking that there are many people who are simply jumping on a modern bandwagon and using mental health as a weapon for emotional blackmail, to the detriment of the mental state of those they attack.

To be clear, I am not at all denying the existence of clinical depression, PTSD, and other mental illnesses & conditions. I just think that it is quite likely that there are too many fakers and people feeling sorry for themselves obscuring the problems of genuine sufferers.

I’m sure this will not be a popular viewpoint and I acknowledge that it will upset some people and for that I apologise in advance. I am not attacking anyone here in any way. I won’t be adding to this post.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Not Baggies?

They've never really bothered me other than the rancid stripes. I've known a few Baggies fans and they've all been sound. Every single Blues fan I've met has been a ****. There's bound to be a few sound ones but most of them have a chip on their shoulder about where they sit in Midlands football. 

There will be not much natural spaces left in the countryside in the future, considering the number of new-builds currently being done and newly-approved ones.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 3