Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lifted*fox

Palace Home Post-Match 0-3

Have to say after all the talk of us possibly closing in on the top four in the weeks ahead after our excellent run of late (and assuming everyone ahead of us - and behind us - faltered), then today's reality lesson perhaps will now make us think again!

That said I don't think the combo. of playing on Wednesday night and then having an early kick today off helped our cause much either and Puel should've rang the changes for today's fixture because of that, bringing in some fringe players who would've been fitter and less fatigued and by doing so playing a different formation to accommodate them -  maybe in hindsight now. Whereas Palace had a day's longer recovery so appeared to be fitter on the day and possibly more up for it mentally than us, as the team looked jaded. Recovery is everything with the pace the game is played at these days of course and I think our lack of recovery between games told today.   

• Like 3

Back down to earth with a bit of a bump, nothing worth panicking over at all but I think puel will learn alot today, so slow on the ball, no over lapping runs down the wings, when teams sit back at times we look like we have no idea what to do with the ball, palace were set up perfect and their game plan worked wonders, the finish for their third, I hate to say it was class, from where we were sat it looked like wilf went looking for the pen, but silly if you know your already on a booking, kasper I felt didn't do too bad today, his distribution looked alot better, and had no chance with any of the goals, bad bad day at the office, still 8th however, put it behind us 

A savage result and a very forgettable performance. In fact, I've forgotten about it already. Bad day at the office. We're still eighth. Fix the problems, lads, and move on. You'll be up for the next two games, I know you will.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, copunk said:

Back down to earth with a bit of a bump, nothing worth panicking over at all but I think puel will learn alot today, so slow on the ball, no over lapping runs down the wings, when teams sit back at times we look like we have no idea what to do with the ball, palace were set up perfect and their game plan worked wonders, the finish for their third, I hate to say it was class, from where we were sat it looked like wilf went looking for the pen, but silly if you know your already on a booking, kasper I felt didn't do too bad today, his distribution looked alot better, and had no chance with any of the goals, bad bad day at the office, still 8th however, put it behind us 

Need a natural rwb, no disrespect to Simpson, but he’s not used to playing so high, and hasn’t the quality in the final third, and cannot be expected to do it every game either, as fatigue will be a problem 

• Like 1

THat was so bad. 

Fans awful

team awful

set up awful

subs awful

ref awful

rarely do I regret a day at the football but today was one. The players were as complacent as everyone on here expecting a 5-0 thrashing of palace. Apparently we couldn't consider them a danger away from home though because all their great away performances with exactly the same players were last season...

my 5 cents:

the "new belief" was missing... maybe we underestimated palace... what have we learned?

1.  WE need to start at pace... today we were even slower the our usual slow

2. Ndidi must not go down for a penalty when on a yellow card  (... I am not so unpragmatic as to suggest it couldn't be an option at other times).

3.  as a result of his recent excellent performances grey has decided he is so good he doesn't need to pass it to anyone else... especially early into the box.  He must work on this!

4. we can not allow players like townsend to cross into he box unchallenged

5. Puel is wrong if he thinks the squad is so deep he can rotate because we played three days ago.  IT is paper thin.

6. the first half was hopeless.... it cried out for 2 or even 3 subs at halftime... we got nothing till 75 minutes. I hope puel learns form this.

7. shinji make us compete

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Guy said:

Have to say after all the talk of us possibly closing in on the top four in the weeks ahead after our excellent run of late (and assuming everyone ahead of us - and behind us - faltered), then today's reality lesson perhaps will now make us think again!

That said I don't think the combo. of playing on Wednesday night and then having an early kick today off helped our cause much either and Puel should've rang the changes for today's fixture because of that, bringing in some fringe players who would've been fitter and less fatigued and by doing so playing a different formation to accommodate them -  maybe in hindsight now. Whereas Palace had a day's longer recovery so appeared to be fitter on the day and possibly more up for it mentally than us, as the team looked jaded. Recovery is everything with the pace the game is played at these days of course and I think our lack of recovery between games told today.   

Excellent assessment of the game today. We were just off the pace both mentally and physically. Palace worked really hard for their victory.  Puel got his  tactics completely wrong whereas Roy got his spot on. We just have to move on to the next game. 

3 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Excellent assessment of the game today. We were just off the pace both mentally and physically. Palace worked really hard for their victory.  Puel got his  tactics completely wrong whereas Roy got his spot on. We just have to move on to the next game. 

No... we don't move on until puel sits in a darkroom for a few hours and reflects on the teams performance and his own decision making before and during the game.  This is a lesson and we can get something positive out of it if we learn from it.

His interview with sstringer was just batting back question.  I would like it better if he said:  "this isn't what I expected today - we were our witted and out played and we failed to respond.  I need to work with the guys and the staff  here to make sure we learn from this.  Our fans deserve better.  " - That is what I want a self confident manager of our club to say

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Today highlighted what we all already know.

Puel needs options so he can rotate Midfield and Right Back

N’didi, Iborra and Simmo all looked shattered today. 

Agree, but given that Iborra was coming off a rest, found his performance more troubling.  We rely on his strong mental game, and he must have left it at home today.

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

Agree, but given that Iborra was coming off a rest, found his performance more troubling.  We rely on his strong mental game, and he must have left it at home today.

He's had bad game like the rest. Just a day to forget.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

No... we don't move on until puel sits in a darkroom for a few hours and reflects on the teams performance and his own decision making before and during the game.  This is a lesson and we can get something positive out of it if we learn from it.

His interview with sstringer was just batting back question.  I would like it better if he said:  "this isn't what I expected today - we were our witted and out played and we failed to respond.  I need to work with the guys and the staff  here to make sure we learn from this.  Our fans deserve better.  " - That is what I want a self confident manager of our club to say

I didn't listen to his interview, I can't, he bores me (Literally, no word of a lie, sends me to sleep), I don't understand him and I can't have an opinion on what he says or 'relationship' with him.

As has been mentioned in other threads, if we're winning and playing well (As we have been) who cares? I can base opinion on that and i'll be delighted.

Today, or things that happen like today is where it gets even more frustrating, i'm pissed off the game as it is (More than pissed off - As someone has mentioned this is up there with the Tottenham debacle of last season) but now I don't get to hear what a manager says, I don't get to hear him explain himself.

Ultimately it'll be the same old same old but it's still nice to hear it from the horse mouth, understand and create debate on what they've said.

Pathetic from start to finish.

Shambles in defence, toothless in attack and a manager completely out thought by Roy.

Why the hell weren't three subs on earlier. Players are tired and playing a lot of matches so why keep them on longer than necessary. The game was gone after the sending off so why not give three players who haven't had much game time a good 20 minute run out. After all they should have plenty of energy and be keen to impress.

Sorry but Puel really got it wrong today.

Palace were good and fair play to them. I thought Loftus Cheek was excellent- best player on the pitch by miles. Zaha on the other hand can be brilliant but shall we say plays the game on the edge very well and the ref was unable or unwilling to rein him in.