Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

Wonder if Danny Murphy would castigate Salah like he has just done with Maddison. 

This is what puts me off Liverpool winning it. Their ex players are everywhere in the media and they're largely insufferable. 

• Like 3

Honestly didn't think it was that bad, stupid late tackle, given he was already on a yellow,  after the ball had gone put him off balance.

Yes Maddison made a bit of it but Arsenal were at it all afternoon.

• Like 1

The problem with highlights is that you lose the thread of the game. Arsenal had committed a whole host of fouls cynically trying to prevent us going forward when we were on the front foot. Another yellow was only a matter of time.

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

I feel like so many MOTDs don't reflect the actual game at all anymore. 

They don't at all. In fact I would recommend always trying to find the full match online to watch instead (which via the power of Google is more than possible). MOTD, Sky and all of these domestic channels love to edit the footage to fit some kind of forced narrative to improve viewing figures. Even during the glory 15/16 season they often edited matches to fit more of the fairy-tale narrative than what actually happened in a game.

If all you want to do is look at the goals, just come on here as plenty of people post them (though perhaps we should have a rule to keep them in the first post of every post match thread). If you want to appreciate the ebb and flow of a game, MOTD is crap. There are at least extended highlights that are shown on the official Premier League roundup that you can access during the week and are also shown on Sky Sports. Those are really good as they often take 20-30 minutes and are pretty fair toward both teams. These highlights I feel have the right balance between how the game panned out generally and cut out players going down like they have been shot, sideways passing triangles with the goalkeeper, etc. 

Anyway I appreciate that under Puel watching 90 minutes of non attacking football was probably akin to water torture, but these days it's much better. Plus if it's really boring, you can always skip through injuries, subs, etc. I've actually re-watched today's game in full again as I was doing my ironing (I am the definition of a one-man party as you can imagine) and it was a pretty awesome match to watch from our point of view. Possibly the best performance since Sevilla at home a few seasons ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd say it was a more complete performance than that, albeit less significant (as far as we know...)

Yes I would agree that in terms of a technical performance it's the best we've seen for a very long time. Probably since the 4-0 win against Swansea in 15/16. We literally dominated the game from start to finish, and even the Arsenal fans are saying that without Leno it would have been 5 or 6. And Arsenal are still in with a top 4 shout, if anything we are the team with little to play for.

But that Sevilla performance was truly fantastic. The first half especially you could literally see the anguish on the Sevilla players faces. They thought they were already through, but the combination of the cauldron effect and our team just being so up for it caught them off guard, and we dominated possession and got the goal. Second half was probably more about being gutsy but was still a great half.

Brilliant match to be at that one!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corky said:

Maddison was clipped by his trailing leg, wasn't he? 

It looked to me like he moved his left foot towards  Niles' leg to guarantee the foul. 

Edited by Danizen

Murphy was fuming not entirely sure why lol , I'm not sure I'd consider either them yellows in fairness but I think putting any blame of Maddison is a bit too far, the 3 rolls after the challenge were completely unnecessary and a little pathetic, but I don't think he "stitched" him up as Murphy suggested

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danizen said:

It looked to me like he moved his left foot towards  Niles' leg to guarantee the foul. 

lol give over 

In slow motion eh maybe but in real time with ML lunging at him from behind / the side? 

Maddison has got Maitland-Niles sent off there, the reaction was horrible. I hate to see it regardless of who does it. Torreira was at it all game, was hoping Chillwell would go up to him and show the giant lump on his head "that's what happens if you actually do get smashed in the head".

First was a yellow, no real attempt to play the ball.

Second was soft, sure, but naive play by MN. With the way he was playing if it hadn't happened then I'd have put money on him getting sent off before half-time. Maddison over-acted, but he was fouled. Given the amount of diving Arsenal's players should have been booked for and the niggling fouls they kept getting away with (clear shove in the back within the first minute, iirc) they can't complain.

Outcome would have been the same anyway. We were utterly dominant even before he was sent off.

48 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Maddison has got Maitland-Niles sent off there, the reaction was horrible. I hate to see it regardless of who does it. Torreira was at it all game, was hoping Chillwell would go up to him and show the giant lump on his head "that's what happens if you actually do get smashed in the head".

I don't like seeing it, but to be honest when the opposition are doing it to you then I say they are fair game to be mugged off. A light breeze was knocking their players to the ground and it made me piss that they got so arsey when we did the same to them. 

5 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Can understandably see the promoted sides being interested in getting Andy King, considering their players hardly have much PL experiences combined.

He'd do well at Luton and Barnsley. 

• Haha 3