Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

42 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Leaving out a fact like that slightly weakens (or helps I suppose) the author's argument...I take the point, but you just cannot leave a stat out because it doesn't suit.

It is an anomaly, albeit a bloody fantastic one, against the bigger trend though isn’t it? Over the long term things really couldn’t much better apart from the recent cock up.

On 27/08/2020 at 09:16, Fox92 said:

Hopefully it gets invested correctly.

The issue Southampton have had is that they used to sell and bring in a cheaper, but better player, (ie Mane came into replace Lallana), but the quality of their new players dropped.

I hope we get some good players in.

Just thinking about this.................Not sure you can keep bringing high quality players in in the same way. There are a couple of factors not least of which is the availability of players, their willingness to come and, of course, if the club gains a reputation of turning a huge profit, then the selling club will by default increase the asking price as they can see a reasonable probability as to how the value may increase.

The bargain bin empties pretty quickly. If you add to that, the fact we are no longer in a place where we are only shopping in the french second division (as an example) and even if we do bring somebody in how will they develop if they cant get game time in the same way they would have done 5 years ago.

If we adapt from bargain basin unknowns and raise the whole thing a level, then we would most likely no longer be buying players who are unknown,but players who we know but who have not yet reached their potential for a variety of reasons. In other words they've been quite unimpressive in their career so far. Many fans will feel  these players are 'nothing to get excited about' as the player isn't obviously going to significantly improve what we have on day one. Further, If they don't improve the current first team immediately, then how do they get consistent game time to develop and improve?

Its a tough one.........wish I had the answer

Edited by Jacnah
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

That's a fair preview. We need to strengthen otherwise we'll regress far and quickly. Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Wolves will all be stronger next season.

7-10 is realistic next season as it stands.

Only business Wolves have done is sell their right back

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Sort of blanked it out, I knew our form was dogshit the back end of last season but I didn't realise it was 4 wins in 17 bad. **** me. Like a bloody deck of cards except this particular deck is full of jokers right LADS

King of Hearts in Soyuncu tbf.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Paul Doyle is an excellent journalist. When he makes rare appearances on Football Weekly, he is not only well learned about the history of the game but also makes really good, insightful points, and loved his stats/accuracy.

It's no surprise his preview is balanced and good tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Surprisingly accurate and well-informed. Can't fault it.

This part made me chuckle!

Leicester have a splendid team that can get even better. But, with others improving, they could go backwards if they do not adequately address shortcomings that led to last season’s weird anticlimax, when a better-than-predicted fifth-place finish was greeted like the output of a tawdry government’s algorithm.

lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Another great write up - but with a weirdly optimistic final prediction. What are we seeing that they're not? 

They are not emotional invested, so have less negative or positive bias and as a result are more objective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1