Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

There's some nonsense being spouted here.

The only people who can get any manager fired are the playing staff who let him down on the pitch.

The 'old guard' have not let him down on the pitch. Schmeichel remains key, and - like most of the title-winning side - deserves huge credit for his service to the club. We're immensely lucky to have one of the world's most respected goalkeepers playing for Leicester City. Morgan has been in better form than any of our CBs this season. Albrighton is our hardest-working player. As for the peripheral players, Okazaki's application is rarely questioned, and Fuchs has provided good cover.  With the exception of King and Simpson, there's no case for the 'old guard' putting Puel's job at risk.

Vardy, who is the single biggest reason for Puel still being in a job (on account of his incredible conversion rate last season, regardless of his form this season), has said nothing which undermines the manager. In fact, he takes responsibility in his comments.

The players who have let him down the most, either through poor form or failing to provide competition for places, are not the same players who were accused of letting Ranieri down (though, it should be underlined, Ranieri explicitly refused to accuse them of betraying him). Ndidi, Gray, Iheanacho, Iborra, Silva, Ghezzal and Diabate have all been far more questionable, in terms of providing serious options / consistent performances.

Realistically, what happened after our title win was that our players got old, one of the world's best midfielders left and wasn't replaced, some suffered poor form, Ranieri lost his way, recruitment was wasteful, the replacement for Ranieri wasn't a proper manager, and the replacement's replacement wasn't a good fit. In fact, if his experience at Southampton comes into consideration, it's likely he isn't a particularly good fit for anyone at this level. 

These explanations make far more sense than the idea that our title winners are a bunch of snakes who are impossible for anyone other than Nigel Pearson to manage. If you want to blame anyone, blame those who recruit players and managers, rather than our players.

I'm not in the Puel out camp myself, but it's stunning that so many people are desperate to scapegoat club legends in their bid to excuse this man, who has a mixed record at this level and has made enough obvious errors of his own for us to question his judgement. If he's in trouble, I can pinpoint perfectly evident flaws - from team selections to communicative skills to his steady but unspectacular and unpopular tenures at two different clubs - which should be discussed before the application of our 'old guard' comes into question. If anything, they're the guys that have kept him in a job up to now.

If he's lost 'nearly everyone', at his second club on the bounce, then I'd be looking a bit more closely at Puel. And if you want to blame anyone for our decline, look at him, look at the competence of Shakespeare, look at how Ranieri managed the title aftermath, look at the departure of Kante, the dreadful recruitment after he left, before you go demonising people who have earned a little more respect.

Great post

If reports are true it isn’t just the playing staff he’s lost but the back room staff. A much needed change of style aside It appears Puel seems like he has been unable to manage the players and staff a key attribute to the job.

Again, while we needed to change our style any pragmatic flexibility on the style would have been a no brainier until he was able to bring in players that suited the style and perhaps didn’t rely on Vardy. But his stubborn approach to persisting with a cautious style that just isn’t working just highlights his limitations. 

And the players he has brought in have been sub standard, while Ghezzal isn’t completely useless isn’t anyway an improvement on what we have, a small indicator on his judgement. (While a appreciate vast of recruitment is done above). 

I very much wanted to give him time. But he just isn’t the right manager to implement the required change, a more pragmatic man manager who’ll work with the current players to bring out the best in them. 

I’ll still support the team and Puel while in charge but it’s now borrowed time and unless Puel has a labotomy he’ll continue with more of the same, the same still not working way to manage a football team. 

• Like 1

After 14 months of mostly mediocrity I'd say he has got himself the sack if true, if the players wanted him gone, he would not have lasted this long since all they had to do was down tools for the final two  games of last season after the fans who turn up week in, week out wanted him gone with the message of leaving early after yet another shitshow against West Ham at home.

Instead the players went old school with football that beat Arsenal and lost entertainingly to Spurs and I still think that just about kept the manager in his job.

• Like 2

Vardy is not serious about leaving Leicester but he as an influential member of the side believes along with others that to get tops attention to the serious matter of what he believes and the team believes to be poor management from Claude puel it will take something serious like handing in a transfer request from a top player

Top is eager 2 Show an executive decision early and to show the players he really cares what they think

Certain players believe Claude puel will be sacked very soon

32 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

After 14 months of mostly mediocrity I'd say he has got himself the sack if true, if the players wanted him gone, he would not have lasted this long since all they had to do was down tools for the final two  games of last season after the fans who turn up week in, week out wanted him gone with the message of leaving early after yet another shitshow against West Ham at home.

Instead the players went old school with football that beat Arsenal and lost entertainingly to Spurs and I still think that just about kept the manager in his job.

Correct, I don’t think many have argued they’ve down tools and accused player power, until now.

Infact up until the last day or so and these articles have been released I’ve seen many a comment along the lines of “It still seems like the players are playing for him, until the changes and he has the dressing room I’ll support him”.

Personally I don’t think the players have downed tools, we're playing poorly but it’s been like that for most of Puel’s tenure, does that mean they’ve downed tools or is it Puel asking those players to play in a way they can’t, I’d argue it’s the latter.

As you say “I’d say he has got himself the sack if true”. He’s not helped himself let’s put it that way, arguably you could say the same with the Ranieri situation.

Puel’s training regime has also been a bone of contention for much of his tenure, and there is friction over lengthy sessions the day before games.

Some players have allegedly attempted to persuade Puel to alter his methods, but been ignored.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/21/claude-puel-clinging-job-jamie-vardy-voices-frustration-leicester/

We were warned of the above a few weeks ago. Damning.

...or was it just an agenda....

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Sacking Puel put Southampton where they are. That could well be us. Indeed, I dont think that I have seen my last LCFC season in the second tier. 

I am not at all convinced that Puel has lost the dressing room. 

He may not have lost the dressing room but has lost the majority of King Power stadium and the fans 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Sacking Puel put Southampton where they are. That could well be us. Indeed, I dont think that I have seen my last LCFC season in the second tier. 

I am not at all convinced that Puel has lost the dressing room. 

You are so wrong, HIRING puel in the first place put Southampton on the road to where they are now 

Southampton were 6th with a fast high tempo attacking entertaining style... And puel turned them into a dour boring pedestrian team, 18 points worse off than the previous season 

Puel started the rot which other managers since haven't been able to reverse again 

• Like 3

Its like any other business. If a leader cannot motivate and get the best out of his staff, he runs the risk of getting sacked.

January this year, we outplayed Chelsea at the Bridge until we got another one of these harsh yellow-reds and I thought whauw, we play some decent stuff these days. Then Mahrez went full melt and we have not been anywhere near that performance level, as that day on the Bridge since. It seems like the players have a hard time following and believing in Claude's ideas, which then transform into inconsistency on the pitch.

Its not about snakes, its just a leader, who has lost the belief from his staff. 

Seems like we need another fresh start.  

• Like 2

Puel is now around 11/8 favourite to be next Premier League manager to be sacked. When that price goes odds on you can be pretty sure he’s gone. 

Chelsea must be the bet of the day to win today with our current form and this recent movement. 

Not the nicest time of the year for this to happen but I think Stowell  will be in charge for our Man City home defeat on Boxing Day.

• Haha 1

I believe there are some strange goings on. I have never known us have so many injuries for example in recent seasons. The sports science side of things was always something we were leaders in. Remember oxygen tents and the like to get the same 13-14 players ready for match day at all costs. It was that same 11 that rolls of the tongue and consistency that got us to the title. They don't seem capable of playing two matches a week nowadays, lots of rotation and nobody fit. 

Our players are playing below par that’s down to the manager and his set up, we can play much better it’s all good having possession for possession sake but if you don’t utilise it Effectively we are seeing the fruits of that right now, we might be in a secure position in the league but we aren’t playing to our strengths I even think the so called “dreaded 4-4-2” would be a better fit for us.

1 minute ago, oxtonfox said:

Puel is now around 11/8 favourite to be next Premier League manager to be sacked. When that price goes odds on you can be pretty sure he’s gone. 

Chelsea must be the bet of the day to win today with our current form and this recent movement. 

Not the nicest time of the year for this to happen but I think Stowell  will be in charge for our Man City home defeat on Boxing Day.

Now even money 50:50 he’s next to go. Crikey ?

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is the 3rd manager in a row now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Vardy or his missus leaking these rumours.

For me, all the old guard minus Vardy need to go, let's start afresh. Morgan, Simpson and Okazaki need shipping out this summer. Fuchs is already going so that's one less issue.

Kasper? 

20 minutes ago, Le god said:

You are so wrong, HIRING puel in the first place put Southampton on the road to where they are now 

Southampton were 6th with a fast high tempo attacking entertaining style... And puel turned them into a dour boring pedestrian team, 18 points worse off than the previous season 

Puel started the rot which other managers since haven't been able to reverse again 

I'm starting to believe that he got the ball rolling in that respect. 

Although after losing Wanyama, Pelle and Mane it is understandable that the league performance wouldn't be as good.