Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Tielemans

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think a lot could depend on the player himself, and what he wants.

I agree ... I'm hoping he is enjoying his time at City and wants to stay here. He will sit on the bench at spurs !!

Just now, Clever Fox said:

He came here because he wanted to play. He'll play every week here unless injured.

So I think that will make a big difference in his assessment.

Plus what's not to love about Leicester.

Playing weekly in a team full if young talent where he's started to gel with the key players and fans. Why not stay? We're at a point where him advancing will advance us and both our stocks rise. 

• Like 3

You'd like to hope he's had his fingers burnt a little by moving to Monaco arguably too soon. Be great if he sees us as a good fit and a place to develop, seems to be really enjoying himself so far.

There can't be any doubt that he'd get game time at Spurs though, and I think he fits their profile – in terms of someone going in for him in this division, they'd be the ones to be most wary of for me, especially if Eriksen jumps ship and they have a little more room for him. People might not like them on this board but they're a draw, and the new stadium will only strengthen that.

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah but they never got a chance... YAWN... he's probably got more assists than those other two in about 6 weeks here. They were clearly not as good as people thought. It's not like they were even clearly good but inconsistent. 

It's the Cambiasso effect, but past success does not guarantee future performance - (see Inler, Iborra, Silva etc.)  You would have hoped that the Kante/Drinky pairing would have shown what it is we really need, but it's taken us until now to really replace them both.

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Langston said:

You'd like to hope he's had his fingers burnt a little by moving to Monaco arguably too soon. Be great if he sees us as a good fit and a place to develop, seems to be really enjoying himself so far.

There can't be any doubt that he'd get game time at Spurs though, and I think he fits their profile – in terms of someone going in for him in this division, they'd be the ones to be most wary of for me, especially if Eriksen jumps ship and they have a little more room for him. People might not like them on this board but they're a draw, and the new stadium will only strengthen that.

Agreed. Players will view spurs as an attractive proposition, and they'd be fools not to. 

The worrying thing is he'd walk in to that Spurs team no problem, the question is whether he wants the safety net of being at a reputedly big club with zero chance of ever winning anything or come to the playboys who are a bizarre club but will probably win the Europa in the next 2 seasons. 

Praying we get him.

3 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

It's the Cambiasso effect, but past success does not guarantee future performance - (see Inler, Iborra, Silva etc.)  You would have hoped that the Kante/Drinky pairing would have shown what it is we really need, but it's taken us until now to really replace them both.

Umm.. Don't think we've replaced Kante? 

That's pretty impossible. 

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

No, but we have the combination of a ball winner and a good passer. We’ve looked v good on the whole with a resurgent Wilf and the added class that Tielemans as offered. Similarities to Kante - Drinkwater for me.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We have, kinda: it has just taken two players rather than one - which is why Kante is in a class by himself as far as his role goes - (Ndidi for the tackling and Tielemans to get the ball forward quickly), with Madders helping it onto Vardy, which Drinky was good at.

The problem we had, is that although we added Ndidi after Kante left, he can only really replace the tackling part of Kante's game, and we've been needing the other half, of getting the ball forward quickly, which Mendy wasn't about, so we've struggled a bit.  Tielemans is the missing piece we needed.  Of course, if we had a proper replacement for Mahrez (and Huth etc.) aswell, we'd be looking at a top 6 place, but...

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

We have, kinda - it has just taken two players rather than one - which is why Kante is in a class by himself as far as his role goes - (Ndidi for the tackling and Tielemans to get the ball forward quickly), with Madders helping it onto Vardy, which Drinky was good at.

The problem we had, is that although we added Ndidi after Kante left, he can only really replace the tackling part of Kante's game, and we've been needing the other half, of getting the ball forward quickly, which Mendy wasn't about, so we've struggled a bit.  Tielemans is the missing piece we needed.  Of course, if we had a proper replacement for Mahrez aswell, we'd be looking at a top 6 place, but...

We’ve sort of done the same with Mahrez, replacing Mahrez + Simpson with Maddison + Pereira, very similar total G+A.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

There ain't no replacing Mahrez, unless we sign Mahrez...

No, I know. 

I'm not saying that we can buy a player as good as him but we can and should buy the best replacement possible.

For all Mahrez' magic he had weaknesses such as his defensive game and his lack of consistency.  We don't need to buy Mahrez the sequel.  A winger with an engine, pace, athleticism and quality is not beyond us.

In short, we need two Ricardos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

No, I know. 

I'm not saying that we can buy a player as good as him but we can and should buy the best replacement possible.

For all Mahrez' magic he had weaknesses such as his defensive game and his lack of consistency.  We don't need to buy Mahrez the sequel.  A winger with an engine, pace, athleticism and quality is not beyond us.

In short, we need two Ricardos.

Or a better right-back so Ricardo can play on the wing...

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

There ain't no replacing Mahrez, unless we sign Mahrez...

I disagree. There are players out there who can bring a combined total of 25-30 goals a season but it's not easy to get them. That doesnt mean we dont try though, it felt last summer with Puel's abysmal way of communicating that because it was difficult we wouldn't really even try.

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

I see Maddison as the no.10 that we needed when we still had Mahrez.  He is a Shinji replacement/upgrade imo.  That's how you improve.

We still need to replace Mahrez 

If we bring in a winger on a similar level to Ricardo then we're pretty much set in my opinion. It's the one glaring weakness in our starting lineup. The team that started at the weekend with the addition of a top quality winger to play on the right and possibly Benkovic would be a genuinely exciting prospect.

9 hours ago, Koke said:

The Silva/Tielemans situation is a perfect example of how a player isn't rubbish if underperformed at one club. Sometimes a change of scenery could revitalise someone. Maybe it was wrong timing and wrong manager for both these players.

Adrien Silva isn't a rubbish player, and Monaco fans should understand that neither is Tielemans. 

If Tielemans doesn't sign, Silva returning to the club next season is a definite possibility so I hope the fans give him a chance.  He's not a bad fit for Rodgers' system and unlike with Puel, if Silva comes back next season the manager will actually be allowed to use him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I disagree. There are players out there who can bring a combined total of 25-30 goals a season but it's not easy to get them. That doesnt mean we dont try though, it felt last summer with Puel's abysmal way of communicating that because it was difficult we wouldn't really even try.

Mendez, Mendez, a thousand times Mendez.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Agreed. Players will view spurs as an attractive proposition, and they'd be fools not to. 

Corrected that for you.

Look, worst case scenario, we get Silva back in much better form and match fit, which is better than where we started, but Youri seems to like it here, so it's not unreasonable to hope he will stay, assuming the club stump up the cash.

Those on this forum who follow European football will not be surprised that Tielemans has been really good. I remember seeing him play in the Europa League for Anderlecht a few years ago and he was really impressive given how young he was. 

I was hopeful when he signed that he would impress and hopeful is still how I feel but now about him joining permanently. In a way I hope he doesn't have too many more good performances for the rest of this season! The better he does for us, the more competition we are likely to face and that could convince him his future is not here. We've seen enough to know what we are getting and he has genuine huge potential but we need him under the radar at the moment.