Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

His blistering pace went a while ago - but that’s to be expected.

Without that, though, playing him by himself makes him even more isolated and the goals he does score tend to be either ‘on a plate’ or a pen.  
Club legend. But we do need a new striker in the summer to come in to start that transition. 

JV has been more creative for others this season. He assisted more this season. His running off the ball is creating more space for others to score, especially Maddison, Barnes and Youri. Our goals have been spread out amongst the team this season. I also think he’s still fully fit since his operation 🏆🏆 🏆

• Like 2

I don't think you can criticise Vardy's work ethic and determination, but his 1st touch, since his injury, has been extremely poor. Everytime the ball is played to him, his touch takes it a metre away. Maybe he'll find form when he becomes more match fit, but we definitely need to start planning for his eventual retirement. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yeah we rely on him too much to save the day and it's just getting tired now. We've been so lucky in the last few seasons vardy hasn't had any long term injuries. We need another option too come on and get the fans excited about and take that pressure of vardy. Problem is we've been saying this for last three seasons yet nothing has been done. I'd even look at Adam Armstrong in the championship if money is tight at least hes young and offers some potential.

Rather Louis or Neil.

8 hours ago, sm1 said:

I don't think you can criticise Vardy's work ethic and determination, but his 1st touch, since his injury, has been extremely poor. Everytime the ball is played to him, his touch takes it a metre away. Maybe he'll find form when he becomes more match fit, but we definitely need to start planning for his eventual retirement. 

He’s exempt from criticism full stop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

So much easier said than done though, isn't it?  We all want that, but we also have to be realistic.  I would be gobsmacked if the lack of a solid Vardy backup was for lack of trying.  Fact is to achieve the club's ambitions we want a backup striker with the sort of quality to become a nailed on starter for a Champions League level team in the near future.  Who fits that criteria and would have been happy to join us in the past couple of seasons where we haven't been competing in the CL and Vardy's been in prime form?

Absolutely! No-one jumps out, and this is compounded by the fact that it looks like several clubs will be hunting for strikers this Summer. Options we take a punt on someone such as that Sima lad from Slavia (bad idea I think) someone like Andre Silva? Belotti? Ings? All fairly underwhelming. Tough task and I am not saying just click our fingers and hey presto, new striker but either way we must continue to try and even redouble our efforts if only to elongate Jamie’s career 

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This isn't about next season or the future, this is about now. Being written off as if he's now finally past it. Like he was past it when he came back from the World Cup in 2018 and Puel started claiming Demarai Gray was a genuine heir to his throne, then again in early 2020 when time had finally caught up with Vardy and it was the end of the road.

I don't deny he's immune to aging and his game is now somewhat different to being played in with 40 yards on goal when he would win any foot race even from a few yards behind, but what we as a club have done under Rodgers is look at what he is still exceptional at and exploit that, which is why he has scored something obscene like 45 goals under Rodgers in 2 years.

Right now he's in a poor spell, his goals from open play is less than the previous few seasons on the face of it, but don't dismiss the amount of assists or goals he's forced such as the two own goals in back to back games vs Spurs and Man Utd. He's come back from this injury lay off and looked iffy, where as even though the goals had dried up in late December and January he was still being an absolute menace to the opposition.

I just have to laugh at seeing the same reactionary muff that's been quickly spouted every time he's had a lean spell, the one player you'd think our fans would have learned to give the utmost respect and benefit of the doubt to but they still can't because one day they will be right and that makes it right and OK to do it now. You could even go back to 2015/16 when he didn't score from early December to late January and the same norris's will have been questioning him.

Vardy is Leicester, he's been that pivotal here for so long that I don't even know what this club is without him and quite frankly I'm scared to find out. 

This is the greatest player ever to play for us, there will never be a bigger icon than him. Let him go out on his shield, he's got a lot more to give this season at the very least. 

This summer it is essential we get a striker capable of leading the line for us but Vardy will still be top boy and may be used as an impact player at certain times, wouldn't be surprised to see him become one of the most lethal subs the PL has seen since Solkskjaer. He's gold.

10 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

There will be a new striker signed in the summer, but take Man utd for example they sign Cavani, regarded as one of the top strikers in Europe, hes been there nearly 6 months and is only now starting to start games regularly, I'd expect a similar transition with Leicester and Vardy, he has 2 years left, someone will be signed in the summer, but it could be this time next year before that signing is competing for a place, probably missed a trick by not loaning out Kramaric rather then selling him.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Absolutely! No-one jumps out, and this is compounded by the fact that it looks like several clubs will be hunting for strikers this Summer. Options we take a punt on someone such as that Sima lad from Slavia (bad idea I think) someone like Andre Silva? Belotti? Ings? All fairly underwhelming. Tough task and I am not saying just click our fingers and hey presto, new striker but either way we must continue to try and even redouble our efforts if only to elongate Jamie’s career 

I think really and truly we're all in agreement here:

- Vardy is a legend.

- He is not past it, he just needs managing.

- We need to bring in someone to give him a rest (similar with Youri) and eventually take over. That's a tough task.

- Vardy will slowly transition to become the greatest ever impact sub the Premier League has ever seen.

Can you imagine the horror on defenders' faces when after being run ragged by a half decent young striker, Barnes, Maddison and A N Other winger, Vardy trots on for the final 25?

They'll probably just start kicking the ball into their own net to save themselves the trouble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think we have missed a trick here. Vardys younger replacement should have been sought after a couple of years ago. One who would learn of the master and wouldn't mind playing second fiddle for a few years. Now we are left with 2 options. 

Pay over the odds for a "recognised successful striker'

Or 

Risk trying to unearth another hidden gem and then need to give them time. If it doesn't work out then back to Vardy. (now we can all agree that Vardy maybe has 2 more years left in him with his pace. 

The other thing is that other teams know we will be desperate if Vardy continues in the form he is in so the price increases substantially

Vardy is and will be brilliant again on his day. Still our best option of course but it doesn't mean he can't be criticised for absolute dross he's put up recently. It's always someone else's fault he has so few touches or involvement. We've struggled against organised teams for years and not having a genuine alternative for Vardy has contributed to that. 

Arsenal is perfect for him so hopefully we'll see him back to something near his best, finishing has been really off for a while. 

This probably isn't the right thread for criticism, because it should be about appreciating the legend that he is. 

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

I think we have missed a trick here. Vardys younger replacement should have been sought after a couple of years ago. One who would learn of the master and wouldn't mind playing second fiddle for a few years. Now we are left with 2 options. 

Pay over the odds for a "recognised successful striker'

Or 

Risk trying to unearth another hidden gem and then need to give them time. If it doesn't work out then back to Vardy. (now we can all agree that Vardy maybe has 2 more years left in him with his pace. 

The other thing is that other teams know we will be desperate if Vardy continues in the form he is in so the price increases substantially

Absolutely agree with this.

I can't understand the obsession with the idea that no decent young striker will be prepared to join us because they know Vardy will be first choice regardless.  At our level, in the top half of the Premier, every player knows and accepts that he has to fight for his place.  And anyone will know that Vardy can't play every game in a full season so the alternative striker would be guaranteed a fair number of games, and maybe a lot more than that depending on his rate of progress / Vardy's form / injury / playing with 2 strikers in some games etc etc.

Another thing that has been said is that when Vardy fully recovers from his last injury he will be back to top form.  We all hope and pray for that but we have to accept that there will be a moment when that doesn't happen and he is finally past his best.  I will be shot down for pointing out the unpalatable fact that there is a possibility, and no more than that, that this is that moment.  It certainly can't be very far away.

None of this takes away the brilliant player Vardy has been for us and I hold him in the highest regard.  What's more, even when he's past his best he has much still to contribute.  He will be a wonderful striker for any new recruit or academy guy to learn from, he will be usable as a very potent substitute when he has been replaced as first choice, and when he retires I would love him to be retained at the very least as a striker coach.  His irrepressible personality needs to be retained around the place for as long as possible.  He is a true, true legend.

Iheanacho was the young alternative to Vardy whilst Vardy was still a juggernaut of a striker. Why would we have brought in more strikers who know they are going to be 2nd/3rd/4th choice. Up until this season we didn't have Europe to contend with.

We should have got someone last month, or last summer but we knew finances were tight sadly. 

We know there is a changing of the guard coming and a new striker will join. Iheanacho has a year left on his deal and we may well sell and bring in 2 new strikers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We know there is a changing of the guard coming and a new striker will join. Iheanacho has a year left on his deal and we may well sell and bring in 2 new strikers.

Maybe we will keep Iheanacho and sell Perez instead?? We need someone happy to be 3rd choice. Of course we risk losing Kelechi on a free but maybe he is settled/happy to be a squad player & will extend his stay?

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I can accept any difference of opinion on here but when it comes to any disrespect to Vardy I just can't abide it. If he doesn't get our unconditional support then no man ever will

He has been an absolute legend but in the few games leading up to the operation he needed, and in the couple of weeks since the operation,  he has been slightly off it. BIN.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Maybe we will keep Iheanacho and sell Perez instead?? We need someone happy to be 3rd choice. Of course we risk losing Kelechi on a free but maybe he is settled/happy to be a squad player & will extend his stay?

I don't think we'll want to extent Kelechi's stay. He's on wages here that are bigger than the role he plays. 

I think he needs someone closer to him. The problem is he plays so far up, the attacking mids can't get close enough to him when Vards is looking to link up. Previously Vards would have the pace to manage the opportunity on his own. But that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Not his fault at all. He needs our tactics to switch slightly. The thing is only Barnes has the gas to catch up. Madders, Perez are very slow. It will be interesting to see if Nacho plays with him tomorrow and how that pans out.