Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

Just now, shailen said:

Vardy has three PL hattricks, two against Man City and one against Southampton. Kane has eight and Aguero has 12. I'd argue Kane and Aguero amongst all those ahead of him in the scoring charts had scored more goals at times when their team were more dominant, whereas Vardy has scored the "harder goal" when the game is still on a knife edge. It's impossible to measure as you say, but I'd fancy my chances that being the case. But like you mentioned the more valuable goal is when the game is on a tightrope and the fact that Vardy's goals are more spread just proves he scores more valuable goals. 

Vardy's record against the big 6 as a result speaks for itself. But his record against all clubs is consistently good. 

It would take a while but I’d be interested to see how many of the goals he’s scored were when we’re either behind or level. It does feel like hes scored so many important goals through the years. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, shailen said:

Vardy has three PL hattricks, two against Man City and one against Southampton. Kane has eight and Aguero has 12. I'd argue Kane and Aguero amongst all those ahead of him in the scoring charts had scored more goals at times when their team were more dominant, whereas Vardy has scored the "harder goal" when the game is still on a knife edge. It's impossible to measure as you say, but I'd fancy my chances that being the case. But like you mentioned the more valuable goal is when the game is on a tightrope and the fact that Vardy's goals are more spread just proves he scores more valuable goals. 

Vardy's record against the big 6 as a result speaks for itself. But his record against all clubs is consistently good. 

It would have to be points gained per goals scored. That way you could compare a striker who scores 10 goals in a season but scores them all in a 10-0 victory with a striker who scores 10 goals in a season but scores them in 10 different 1-0 victories.

In the first case the the striker's goals are each worth 0.3 its. In the second, each goal is worth 3 points. The second striker's goals are 10 times more valuable.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 08:31, browniefox said:

He didn't go into the 6 yard box, he just stayed around the penalty spot, the defenders tried getting ahead of the run they thought he'd make, it's his patience and intelligence that made the space, not his movement on this occasion. 

And it was Daka's movement which took Maguire away from JV. 

4 hours ago, shailen said:

I can't remember when it was ... maybe the year the season Rodgers took over? ... there was that period that Vardy had scored more goals in matches he lost than any other player. Have no idea if those are "hard" goals or not, but shows he is a fighter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I can't remember when it was ... maybe the year the season Rodgers took over? ... there was that period that Vardy had scored more goals in matches he lost than any other player. Have no idea if those are "hard" goals or not, but shows he is a fighter.

Yeah I feel it's greater testament to the player he is that he scores goals when the team are really up against it. When you're playing for a Man City who beat teams 4 or 5 goals every week, it's a lot easier to score in that team. Not trying to discredit Aguero or anything but it must be easier to score goals when you get 5 chances a game, every game. 

13 hours ago, shailen said:

Thanks for doing that analysis and when compared to Kane it clearly shows Vardy scores his goals in more games then compared to Kane. Your point around if he played in a better team or even a more free flowing team then his numbers could be even more scary is valid, as Spurs and other teams have been better than us for the vast period of time since we've been promoted so if he was at a Man City or Chelsea, he could have had 150+ goals already by now. 

I think the way those other greats are revered by their fans and pundits alike is unfair when they now talk about Jamie Vardy. He's done it in an unfashionable team, especially under Puel and Shakespeare and he doesn't get talked about in those world class conversations like the others. For me, he's such a unique player and so consistent in his overall play that he makes it into that bracket, which is a shame as England never exploited his talents. He's the player that would have made a difference in the semi final and final they lost of the last two major tournament. 

Completely agree. It’s plainly because he plays for an unfashionable club, and also possibly the way he came into the game.

100% if he was 22-25 after 15/16 he goes right to the top instantly he’s that good.

I mean just reading that stat that popped up in here about how he’s top of the goal scoring since BR joined! Above a Prime Salah whose being touted as the greatest in the world and for Leicester, not an elite team AND at 32-34 years old! It’s frightening it really is.

It also strongly backs up how good he is and being in our team between 16/17-18/19 - a very turgid average team stopped him producing what his ceiling could. He’s a 25+ a season man minimum.

I mean he scored 51 Prem goals in those 3 seasons(17 average!) in quite frankly very very average teams.

It really is incredible the more I look into any stat about him.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

**** it he’s going back in my fpl team. I have him every year but decided to play with my head rather than my heart this year so omitted him. I feel dirty. Sorry wee man. X 

If he goes on a goal drought now it'll be all your fault :ph34r:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ceredigion said:

It's difficult to devise a metric which adequately quantifies the value of a goal. For example, Jamie scored a hat-trick when we beat Southampton 9-0 but we were 4-0 up when he got his first and the game was dead and buried, so I would argue that his hat-trick on that occasion was much less valuable than, to take another example from Hampshire, the late equaliser he scored at Bournemouth in the 2015/16 season.

You'd need to take into account the number of goals a player has scored, the number of points gained from those games in which he scored and then somehow adjust the weighting depending on the narrowness of the result or the effect on the points total if his goal(s) were disregarded. But even that is a crude method.

For example, would it be accurate to describe his goal on Saturday as the ''winning goal''? It put us 3-2 up but we won 4-2 in the end. But would we have scored a 4th if he hadn't scored the 3rd? I doubt it very much.

:frantics:  No it would of been 2-2, I Doubt it definitely....you cant Score the 4th, without notching a 3rd,

Or has the Soul of Science & Mathematics imploded...

Edited by fuchsntf

15 hours ago, ceredigion said:

It would have to be points gained per goals scored. That way you could compare a striker who scores 10 goals in a season but scores them all in a 10-0 victory with a striker who scores 10 goals in a season but scores them in 10 different 1-0 victories.

In the first case the the striker's goals are each worth 0.3 its. In the second, each goal is worth 3 points. The second striker's goals are 10 times more valuable.

Ahhh, But the Romance & memories, of that 10-0, will lay deeper & longer in the Heart of the fans..

Few will remember who we played in the 1-0s....

Thats Why boring stats ,mean very little....:P

One strange thing is that his goal scoring record in cup matches for us is actually quite poor. Just 8 goals in 45 games. I wonder why that is, because a lot of those matches will have been against teams from the lower divisions with weaker defences.

Perhaps it's because in a lot of those games he will have either come as a substitute or been substituted himself so he doesn't play the full 90 minutes that often, whereas in the PL he tends to start and finish every game.

Any other theories?

15 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

One strange thing is that his goal scoring record in cup matches for us is actually quite poor. Just 8 goals in 45 games. I wonder why that is, because a lot of those matches will have been against teams from the lower divisions with weaker defences.

Perhaps it's because in a lot of those games he will have either come as a substitute or been substituted himself so he doesn't play the full 90 minutes that often, whereas in the PL he tends to start and finish every game.

Any other theories?

He's rubbish? (crap theory I know)

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

Any other theories?

He's Jamie Vardy. He scores when he wants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2