Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Was it just me that thought he had a good game and has been generally decent this season?

Two 50 pence foot clearances, fair enough, but his general approach play and pressing was pretty good I thought.

In fact, a lot of his movement has created space for Ricardo on the overlap (or underlap) to great effect.

He isn't Riyad Mahrez. Nor was Rachid Ghezzal. That doesn't make either player dogshit or worse than Mr. 'Swing-A-Floated-Cross-To-No-One', also known as Marc Albrighton.

Legit what has he done?!

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Sorry, that's nonsense.  There are nine Premier League clubs who have never spent £30m on a player, those that have are generally much bigger clubs than us so it is ridiculous to claim that £30m is somehow the going rate for a Premier League player.

£30m puts Perez in the marquee signing bracket, especially for a club like ours, but he is never a marquee player.   He strikes me as a £15m player.

We overpaid and sadly he doesn't have enough quality to improve us as we strive for the top six.  That's not his fault, it's the club's fault.  Especially as he was a known quantity.  We knew going into the summer that we needed to get Tielemans and after that to get a quality right sided player.  We had the money and we had already got it wrong once with Ghezzal.  I said it at the time and was shot down of course, but we will end up having to buy for a third time to hopefully get it right because Perez is not the answer unfortunately.

We actually paid 17m going up to 30m with add ons. Without goals or minutes it will be closer to 17m

Was it just me that thought he had a good game and has been generally decent this season?

Two 50 pence foot clearances, fair enough, but his general approach play and pressing was pretty good I thought.

In fact, a lot of his movement has created space for Ricardo on the overlap (or underlap) to great effect.

He isn't Riyad Mahrez. Nor was Rachid Ghezzal. That doesn't make either player dogshit or worse than Mr. 'Swing-A-Floated-Cross-To-No-One', also known as Marc Albrighton.

Mr “Premier League Winner” to you.

Does Perez even have more assists than him this season? Despite having played vastly more minutes.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

I dont think he looks as bad as people make out! There's always a scapegoat every season and it seems to be him! To me he looks bigger and stronger than the guy that played for newcastle. Decent interplay etc.  But come January and if we're in the top 4! we should spend the £50m left from maguire on someone like Leon Bailey!

Firstly, we don't have £50m left over from Maguire, we spent it on Tielemans, Perez and Justin.

Secondly, why didn't we just do that in the first place?

Not just you :) 

I think he's doing fine. Could do better but could also be far, far worse. 

One of those players that does a lot of the unnoticed, harder work - especially as you say to make space for Pereira to dominate the right wing. Today would have been even more difficult to him to play in the usual inverted winger role because Burnley packed that defensive midfield area and space was restricted. In the first half he linked well with some nice passing plays with Pereira. 

I still desperately want him to score just to get that monkey off his own back more than anything else. He had that one chance which went miles over. I think he confidence in front of goal is a key thing for him - couple of opportunities he had on the edge of the box he could have pulled the trigger instead of pass.

But he's being overly-criticised by a lot of other fans I think. Harshly.

• Like 1

I thought he was fine to be honest. Think he'll be another one of those players for who doesn't necessarily light the place up every week but generally improves the team when he's in it. Whether that's the sort of player we needed to buy in that position is another issue of course, but there's not much he can do about that, same with the price tag. He linked very well with Ricardo and the midfielders at times but obviously the things people will remember are the shanked clearances and the miss.

He's not been brilliant by any means but he's far from a write-off. I hope he gets his goal soon and that we'll then see the best of him.

• Like 1

Not a 30m pound player to be fair but he's close to being a real asset. Lots of ability and clearly a talent but we do need to see a bit more end product and more involvement in the box. You have to remember he's played for a very defensive team for a good few years so needs some time to see the best of him here. 

Thought he was very tidy today without being hugely involved. 

Will only improve and he's still at a good age

34 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It’s not about whether it washes or not, it’s about facts, I’m afraid.

The fact is he’s proven he’s a good premier league player and a goalscorer, to get around 10 goals a season consistently for a side that’s not getting out the bottom half is good going, especially for someone who isn’t playing as a central striker.  

Also, most of those goals he scored were in the second half of each of the seasons, ask any Newcastle fan and they will tell you he comes alive second half of the season. Yes, that might well have been coincidence, but it’s a pattern and he needs time to settle, adapt to playing the intricate style of football that we are building on, it all takes time. Yes, a couple of goals would have been nice so far, but has he let the team down? Or done anything REALLY bad? Like you say, he’s been average, but he’s proven he’s a good player, you don’t just turn shit overnight. 

You can see from his touches and link up play that he’s a clever player, he helps us get up the pitch with our progressive style of play. Albrighton and Gray aren’t able to play those little one twos and tactically, on paper Perez suits us the best with his pressing game too.

He’s not even got 10 Premier League appearances for us and people are writing him off, it says a lot more about about our fans than it does Perez in all honesty.

It’s completely about whether it washes. Like I say this isn’t a club without resources or personnel to bring in in his place and if we are serious about getting into Europe this season we can’t be sitting here saying it’s ok you’ve been largely disappointing  and not contributed because you’ve scored three or four goals more than you should of at Newcastle last season. He won’t get the chance to “come alive” In January or whenever he’s suppose to suddenly turn good because he won’t be consistently  getting in the team. You want to finish top six you need someone doing the job august to may.

Gray, who I’ve also had plenty to say about at times, was far better than him today, ironically at the kind of things you claim make Perez worthwhile playing in particular.

Writing him off is something else and I’d certainly not do that, I don’t know how long you’ve been on here but they love a scape goat, but at the moment he needs to be benched and played in the league cup, can’t fault his inclusion today as he looked good at anfield but today was just another non descript showing and he should be making way for someone who did better.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

Thought he started off brightly today with some good interplay but ... thats where it stopped. It's as if he's forever in a '5 aside' training mode for me. Not out wide when it could be useful but running inside when there's no real chance of getting a pass and certainly goal shy. Whilst he tries and works hard, when it comes to any form of real end product, he flatters to deceive.

For me and for the time being, he's had his chance and how he starts ahead of Albrighton God only knows. It's about the betterment of the team as a whole and Albrighton, Gray and Barnes, for different reasons, should all be ahead of him for me.

Whilst I in someways understand and admire loyalty and giving players a good chance I feel he's had his whilst Albbrighton under Rodgers has been denied his. If it wasn't for his price tag and clearly at Rodger's  insistance that we bought him in the first place, I doubt very much we'd be seeing him on the field of play. There does now seem to be an implicit air of justification about his continued selection as opposed to inclusion on merit. My throw of the dice for him would be to play him against Burton with Vardy on the bench to see how he performs in that role. It would be a great opportunity for him to try his shooting boots out and potentially garner some confidence, should that be an issue whilst also letting us see if he's a potential decent replacement striker should Vardy need a rest or get injured later in the season.  Or perhaps, just accept,  for the time being at least, we have far better options.

22 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I was addressing the point that someone said he was not physical and will be pushed aside which is, objectively, untrue. I made no comment on the merits of physicality vs technicality merely that the statement regarding his lack of physicality/effort is demonstrably untrue. I for one never expected Mahrez to track back. X 

Sorry mate I did agree with your point I just went off on one yesterday morning.

• Like 1

He does link up well but needs an end product. I think Christmas/ New Year is a big time for him as I'm not sure Vardy will play all the matches in a short space of time so he may be given a chance up front.

Guest An Sionnach

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

He’s being played out of position. Problem is he won’t take Vardy’s place up top unless the main boy gets injured and we haven't played two strikers together for years.

Rodgers would probably switch to Ihanacho if Vardy is unavailable and that would make Perez even more unsure about his role in the team.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

We’re currently sat in third having lost two games, something is going right, so he can’t be as bad as some are suggesting. 

Fair point, but it’s difficult to suggest that his performances to date have had a significant impact. We are in third thanks to the likes of Vardy, Ricardo, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Evans and Tielemans