Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

6 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think if we're all honest this forum  has a track record of jumping on youngsters too quickly one way or another, I think most of us are guilty of it. He needs time but the early signs are extremely promising. Perhaps not so good in "backs to the walls situations"; the high ball into the box and people running across him in and around the area don't seem to be his strength, he seems to favour playing higher up the pitch and trying to snuff out danger before it happens; showing people out into the channels or coming out to make an early challenge. Contrast that to someone like Wes Morgan who is happiest sitting deep and soaking up pressure.

'Air-Raid' Teams are thankfully rare in the EPL these days with  only Burnley / Sheffield Utd currently coming to mind.  So 'hopefully' Soyuncu will not be subjected to that many Agricultural Assaults', notwithstanding cup games against lower league teams.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

'Air-Raid' Teams are thankfully rare in the EPL these days with  only Burnley / Sheffield Utd currently coming to mind.  So 'hopefully' Soyuncu will not be subjected to that many Agricultural Assaults', notwithstanding cup games against lower league teams.

Yes, he's got all the hallmarks of a modern centre-back really. Suited to a team that dominates possession.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SO1 said:

What was our net spend last summer? Top must be smiling. Love having ammo in reserve.

- £35m Tielemans

- £30m Perez

- £20m Praet

- £6m Justin

+ £80m Maguire

Net spend of ~£11m.

Edited by Beechey

On 01/09/2019 at 09:00, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I have to say credit to our fans for the way they’ve responded to him this season. 

Collectively, it’s safe to say we were all worried about selling Harry and replacing him with someone unproven at this level, but from the very first minute against Wolves Caglar has received so much love from the stands.

Almost every tackle, pass and header receives a cheer/applause, which I’m sure has helped him to settle. 

It’s amazing what can happen when you offer a bit of encouragement and don’t boo your own players - who knew. 

Now if we could translate this to an under confident, under performing striker :whistle:

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Thanks 2

Caglar Soyuncu: Leicester City's new defensive hero helping ease the loss of Harry Maguire

George Pitts · Columnist
08:57 · September 03, 2019 · 5 min read

Leicester City left it late in the summer to sell Harry Maguire to Manchester United and many thought it would come back to bite them.

They were linked with bids for Brighton defender Lewis Dunk and James Tarkowski of Burnley, but signed none and it looks like they may have a ready-made replacement from within.

Brendan Rodgers handed an opportunity to Caglar Soyuncu and the Turkish defender has grabbed it with both hands.

Soyuncu, a 23-year-old with 'huge potential' according to Rodgers, arrived at the club last summer from German side Freiburg. Man City and Arsenal were also linked, but the Foxes won the race for his signature in a potential £19million deal.

He made just eight appearances in all competitions in his first campaign in the East Midlands, and he has now been rewarded for his patience.

Rodgers saw enough from him in the Premier League win at Huddersfield in April, and then pre-season, to slot him into the centre of defence for the start of the campaign in the wake of Maguire's August departure.

He helped keep a clean sheet on the opening day against Wolves before going on to help the Foxes go unbeaten in their first five games (including the Carabao Cup) leading up to the international break.

He has pace and strength and has shown a composed head on young shoulders to quickly become a hit with the fans. He plays with his head up, and has good feet and confidence on the ball, often dribbling out from the back - which may not be so popular with his boss in the long run.

While dealing with Chelsea's Christian Pulisic in the corner at Stamford Bridge last month, he dazzled with fancy feet and showboated with a dink (in the tweet, above) to find a team-mate.

At the weekend, he then sent Bournemouth's Callum Wilson the wrong way not once, but twice in quick succession (below) including a brave Cruyff turn on the edge of the box.

"We don't want him to do that," joked Rodgers to Leicestershire Live after their 3-1 victory over Bournemouth.

"But we ask him to make the first pass, when you have got to defend it, defend it, but when you have the possibility, make the first pass, and he is doing that very well.

"I had hoped that he could go in and have the impact he has had. I think I have seen enough of him in the Huddersfield game (last season) and in training.

"If you look at him in our third goal, that's exactly what we want, defenders who defend forward. I think you sense the supporters are really enjoying watching him play."

On his flair, Rodgers continued: "He does a couple of wee maverick things that makes you wonder sometimes, but he is very young, you can see he is aggressive, attacks the ball well.

"For me, first and foremost, he can defend. He will learn from the first goal because he has got to track the runner. On that one there he has got to go with Callum Wilson into the box when he is so close to the goal.

"So these are things that show his youth, but he has huge potential and he is very good."

What also helps endear him to Leicester fans is how he is making Maguire's departure to Old Trafford bearable.

His early stats so far make for pleasant reading in comparison to Maguire's at United. Granted, in different sides, but two teams both aiming for the top six and beyond:

Caglar Soyuncu v Harry Maguire: Comparing the defenders' stats so far in the Premier League

b60b17e9-c37e-4418-ba5a-d84922057a81.jpg
Caglar Soyuncu v Harry Maguire: Comparing the defenders' stats so far in the Premier League

More importantly too, the player still is not the finished article.

He showed that in Bournemouth's equaliser when he tried to step up for a high line to play offside, leaving Callum Wilson through on goal, but he will learn. He can be a little rash - we saw this more at times last season, having committed just one foul this term and nearly giving a penalty away against Bournemouth. He will learn as his reading of the game improves.

He is still very young, well built at just under 6ft 1in tall and has a turn of pace that is certainly quicker than Maguire's and most of the league's current defenders. That will help cover Evans and other defensive partners over the course of the season too.

Goals may come at the other end, no doubt. He even nearly scored from outside the box against the Cherries with an effort just wide of the top corner from the edge of the box. With his style of play and brave approach, he will not hesitate to have a pop - another key part of Maguire's game to replace.

Soyuncu has such potential to be a cult hero at Leicester that after the opening day draw against Wolves, his team-mates reportedly gave him a standing ovation in the dressing room after the game.

Caglar Soyuncu: Leicester defender has shown a confident ability on the baRodgers' Leicester are aiming for the top six and they have started in impressive fashion under the former Celtic boss, who has not even been in charge for a year.

The first month of the season certainly does not draw concrete conclusions, but early indications are promising for their European hopes, life after Maguire (and with Soyuncu) and going forward under Rodgers.

So they have pocketed £80million and, in a player still adapting to the Premier League, it appears they have a classy operator in Soyuncu.

And Leicester's first game after the international break? A trip to face Maguire and Man United.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Caglar Soyuncu: Leicester City's new defensive hero helping ease the loss of Harry Maguire

George Pitts · Columnist
08:57 · September 03, 2019 · 5 min read

Leicester City left it late in the summer to sell Harry Maguire to Manchester United and many thought it would come back to bite them.

They were linked with bids for Brighton defender Lewis Dunk and James Tarkowski of Burnley, but signed none and it looks like they may have a ready-made replacement from within.

Brendan Rodgers handed an opportunity to Caglar Soyuncu and the Turkish defender has grabbed it with both hands.

Soyuncu, a 23-year-old with 'huge potential' according to Rodgers, arrived at the club last summer from German side Freiburg. Man City and Arsenal were also linked, but the Foxes won the race for his signature in a potential £19million deal.

He made just eight appearances in all competitions in his first campaign in the East Midlands, and he has now been rewarded for his patience.

Rodgers saw enough from him in the Premier League win at Huddersfield in April, and then pre-season, to slot him into the centre of defence for the start of the campaign in the wake of Maguire's August departure.

He helped keep a clean sheet on the opening day against Wolves before going on to help the Foxes go unbeaten in their first five games (including the Carabao Cup) leading up to the international break.

He has pace and strength and has shown a composed head on young shoulders to quickly become a hit with the fans. He plays with his head up, and has good feet and confidence on the ball, often dribbling out from the back - which may not be so popular with his boss in the long run.

While dealing with Chelsea's Christian Pulisic in the corner at Stamford Bridge last month, he dazzled with fancy feet and showboated with a dink (in the tweet, above) to find a team-mate.

At the weekend, he then sent Bournemouth's Callum Wilson the wrong way not once, but twice in quick succession (below) including a brave Cruyff turn on the edge of the box.

"We don't want him to do that," joked Rodgers to Leicestershire Live after their 3-1 victory over Bournemouth.

"But we ask him to make the first pass, when you have got to defend it, defend it, but when you have the possibility, make the first pass, and he is doing that very well.

"I had hoped that he could go in and have the impact he has had. I think I have seen enough of him in the Huddersfield game (last season) and in training.

"If you look at him in our third goal, that's exactly what we want, defenders who defend forward. I think you sense the supporters are really enjoying watching him play."

On his flair, Rodgers continued: "He does a couple of wee maverick things that makes you wonder sometimes, but he is very young, you can see he is aggressive, attacks the ball well.

"For me, first and foremost, he can defend. He will learn from the first goal because he has got to track the runner. On that one there he has got to go with Callum Wilson into the box when he is so close to the goal.

"So these are things that show his youth, but he has huge potential and he is very good."

What also helps endear him to Leicester fans is how he is making Maguire's departure to Old Trafford bearable.

His early stats so far make for pleasant reading in comparison to Maguire's at United. Granted, in different sides, but two teams both aiming for the top six and beyond:

b60b17e9-c37e-4418-ba5a-d84922057a81.jpg

More importantly too, the player still is not the finished article.

He showed that in Bournemouth's equaliser when he tried to step up for a high line to play offside, leaving Callum Wilson through on goal, but he will learn. He can be a little rash - we saw this more at times last season, having committed just one foul this term and nearly giving a penalty away against Bournemouth. He will learn as his reading of the game improves.

He is still very young, well built at just under 6ft 1in tall and has a turn of pace that is certainly quicker than Maguire's and most of the league's current defenders. That will help cover Evans and other defensive partners over the course of the season too.

Goals may come at the other end, no doubt. He even nearly scored from outside the box against the Cherries with an effort just wide of the top corner from the edge of the box. With his style of play and brave approach, he will not hesitate to have a pop - another key part of Maguire's game to replace.

Soyuncu has such potential to be a cult hero at Leicester that after the opening day draw against Wolves, his team-mates reportedly gave him a standing ovation in the dressing room after the game.

Caglar Soyuncu: Leicester defender has shown a confident ability on the baRodgers' Leicester are aiming for the top six and they have started in impressive fashion under the former Celtic boss, who has not even been in charge for a year.

The first month of the season certainly does not draw concrete conclusions, but early indications are promising for their European hopes, life after Maguire (and with Soyuncu) and going forward under Rodgers.

So they have pocketed £80million and, in a player still adapting to the Premier League, it appears they have a classy operator in Soyuncu.

And Leicester's first game after the international break? A trip to face Maguire and Man United.

Love the way brendan talks about his players publicly, excellent man management.

In all honesty I have to hold my hands up and say I was desperate for Harry to stay/  us to sign a new centre back when Harry left, with the view that a more experienced defender was there to help blood Soyuncu in. How wrong was I, that would’ve completely stunted his growth. So glad Rodgers has given him a chance, I’m still watching with interest as to whether he can maintain this form but hopefully he’ll only improve.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 09:16, mozartfox said:

Just all be thankful that our Board ignored all those on here that suggested we spunk cash on Dunk or Tarkowski.   That would have been a truly massive fuch up and possibly worse than the 2016 Summer Window Car crash.  Benko will be equally as good once he gets his chance.

Absolutely nobody wanted us to splash out on dunk or tarkowski

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

We have a real player on our hands here. He'll have his moments of madness, I think we have to accept that but his all round game is superb. What a guy!

Just now, Izzy said:

I'm running out of superlatives for him. What a player we've got on our hands.

:D