Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PaulW

Chilwell

14 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I really had to read that again to see if I was going mad or you were being sarcastic or something. We all have opinions and see things differently but I saw him as our weak link all day long. Cannot beat a man cannot think quick enough cannot mark his man, like did he even see Aurier who was always on his own. I thought he was good last season but Fuchs showed in the 2 games he played he's a far superior left back still in my book. 

Well he has to defend that side on his own. Don't really remember him getting beaten too often. Won plenty of important headers. Put in one brilliant ball in the second half.

So 2 games of Fuchs playing well, after being horrendous for a while season prior to Chilwell being in the teams outdoes a season of playing well in your book? Fuchs has got bags of quality and did very well in his 2 games but a complete lack of pace and stamina not on par with Chilwell means he's obviously inferior. I love Fuchs and he's a great back up option but he was atrocious the season before Chilwell came in to replace him. I think I'll stick with the England left back.

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I really had to read that again to see if I was going mad or you were being sarcastic or something. We all have opinions and see things differently but I saw him as our weak link all day long. Cannot beat a man cannot think quick enough cannot mark his man, like did he even see Aurier who was always on his own. I thought he was good last season but Fuchs showed in the 2 games he played he's a far superior left back still in my book. 

Aurier was often on his own because Chilwell tucked in to help the centre backs deal with Kane and Son. When the ball went to Aurier, Chilwell went out to deal with him, and did it very well. 

Chilwell is very consistent defensively, he's just got a lot to learn offensively. As I said in another thread, he'll never be able to cross like Fuchs, but there's no reason he can't attack his full back more and link up with his winger to get to the byline.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Playing for England means nothing , just means a lack of competition , John Stones plays for England . If he had Fuch's brain I would be a lot more impressed.

he has been carrying a knock ........its bound to have an effect if he can’t train 100%.  A lot of his improvement was down to his energy in getting up and down throughout the game ......

could do with him missing the next england camp to settle his knock but I doubt he will be up for that ......especially as shaw is also suffering 

Completely bottled the Aurier goal that wasnt half heartedly turning his back. Had that counted would have been much more made of that I'm sure. You've gotta protect your goal with everything you've got. Not convinced hes the real deal, but certainly good enough for us.  Ricardo has a far better body shape and operates more fluid in the full back position for me. Chilly still looks too one footed to be at that level. Still plenty of time and as mentioned certainly good enough for us currently. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Completely bottled the Aurier goal that wasnt half heartedly turning his back. Had that counted would have been much more made of that I'm sure. You've gotta protect your goal with everything you've got. Not convinced hes the real deal, but certainly good enough for us.  Ricardo has a far better body shape and operates more fluid in the full back position for me. Chilly still looks too one footed to be at that level. Still plenty of time and as mentioned certainly good enough for us currently. 

That's one of my personal annoyances - seeing a defender turning his back on a shot. So unprofessional. If Chilwell had stayed facing Aurier with his eye on Aurier's kicking foot and the ball right up to the moment of impact then he woul have been able to block the shot.

• Like 2

he is probably being asked to defend more and get forward less which would leave us open at the back plus not having a defensive minded backup in front of him we can't expect him to be bombing up and down for 90 minutes, and he had that knock.

Not really made many mistakes imo and has been pretty solid.

I think Rodgers doesn't want him to run forward with the ball like he seemed to do under Puel, which unfortunately happens to be Ben's biggest asset.

When he did do in the past, it was very unpredictable what he was going to do when he arrived in the oppositions final third and if he doesn't know what he's going to do, how will his teammates?

His 'threatening positions' to 'chances created' stats would have been shocking.  Ricardo always seemed the opposite of this and more likely to make something happen and It still seems he's encouraged to run with the ball and get into the box under Rodgers. 

Brendan being so obsessed with his statistics wouldn't like play occurring that didn't have a definitive outcome, so he's probably worked with Chilwell to play more simple balls so we start phases of plays that have more structure - the problem has been that Chilwell seems to struggle when he has too much time to think and he seems to find the simple side of the game overly difficult for my liking at times. 

Having said that, I've been his biggest critic recently but I did see an improvement yesterday.