Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe the team as a whole is better now, but on today's form he's a better player now.

He definitely is! There was a moment near the end of the first half where he received the ball and pulled off a Tielemans style drag back and turn to create half a yard to play a nice forward pass despite being pressured by two Spurs players. During the Puel days, teams targeted Ndidi to stop us build our attacks (which was a good tactic to be fair). But during the last two games, he's played out of the press multiple times, put some really tasty forward passes in and recovered the ball brilliantly many times. Look at his role in the second goal, he doesn't just win the ball, he dominates his man and then gets Albrighton going. 

Kante achieved the impossible with us, but right now who would you rather have in your team? I know which one of the two I would rather have, and luckily for me, he plays for our team!

• Like 2

Just now, baldeagle said:

Hopefully some people will now realise we were playing five at the back out of necessity Wilf comes back hey presto back to 4 at the back 

Yeah we speculated on this, and it really appears to be the case. There was one game we did play a back 5 with Ndidi in the team (Fulham?) but I think that's because he was just coming back into the team. Now he is back to his best (it seems that way), I imagine we will go back to 4 at the back for most games. 

• Like 1

Not to slate Mendy as he's done a fantastic job filling in but Ndidi does give us that extra level in defensive midfield. His ball recovery stats as we all know are one of the best and this goes to show how valuable he is in a side that loves to control possession on any part of the pitch. Breaking up momentum against sides like Spurs is so precious in terms of dictating our own game and controlling the match itself. 

20 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Hopefully some people will now realise we were playing five at the back out of necessity Wilf comes back hey presto back to 4 at the back 

We played with a back 3/5 today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not to slate Mendy as he's done a fantastic job filling in but Ndidi does give us that extra level in defensive midfield. His ball recovery stats as we all know are one of the best and this goes to show how valuable he is in a side that loves to control possession on any part of the pitch. Breaking up momentum against sides like Spurs is so precious in terms of dictating our own game and controlling the match itself. 

On this kind of form, he's one of the best central midfielders in the league and certainly the best defensive midfielder. The media raves about Højbjerg or even Allan, Rodri and Fabinho, but Ndidi has come back possibly stronger than before. He commanded that midfield today.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

4-4-2 today, mate. Madders off Vardy

Fair enough. Looked back 3 to me at kick off (Castagne & Albrighton as wing backs)

Only had 1 eye on the game today as I was working.

32 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

4-4-2 today, mate. Madders off Vardy

We played two systems today. We started with the traditional 433 / 4141 (for me not a 442 because that implies two out and out strikers), but then replaced Castagne for Amartey at 60 minutes in and went 343. Albrighton went to wing back, same as JJ, with Fofana, Evans and Amartey as centre backs. This was a smart decision as we knew Spurs had to force the game and that way could pick them off on the counter. Maybe the only bad side of our game today was that we should have won by more! Almost got someone through with the final ball several times, and for a player as good as Tielemans, he should have buried that chance at the end. Madders dead unlucky to have his goal ruled out though, that was sublime.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He normally tops one of the defensive stat charts at the end of the season, fully expect he will pull out performances like today to make up for lost time 😆