Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's only played half our league games this season - and 3 more at centre back - in total about 7.5 of our 20 PL games this season have had Ndidi playing as a defensive midfielder for us - and we're 3rd in the league.

Don't get me wrong, we do look better with Ndidi in the team and he's an important player for us, but this idea that he's our most important player and we're nothing without him and will tumble down the league has been shown to be rubbish already this season. 

We looked fine with Mendy earlier in the season. We'll cope fine for a few weeks with Ndidi out again as well. We're not going to suddenly be "nowhere near the top 6" without him - people used to say the same about Ricardo being out as well and we coped fine without either.

Totally agree with you on everything you put 

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's only played half our league games this season - and 3 more at centre back - in total about 7.5 of our 20 PL games this season have had Ndidi playing as a defensive midfielder for us - and we're 3rd in the league.

Don't get me wrong, we do look better with Ndidi in the team and he's an important player for us, but this idea that he's our most important player and we're nothing without him and will tumble down the league has been shown to be rubbish already this season. 

We looked fine with Mendy earlier in the season. We'll cope fine for a few weeks with Ndidi out again as well. We're not going to suddenly be "nowhere near the top 6" without him - people used to say the same about Ricardo being out as well and we coped fine without either.

Agreed with everything until your final sentence - it could be argued that the loss of Ricardo last season cost us top 4 and whilst we coped this season with the emergence of JJ , we lost momentum after his injury last year 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Shows doesn't it that resting players in cup games makes no difference. They can get injured any time. Fingers crossed it wasn't anything too serious because he's been exceptional since his return and Tielemans is great alongside him too.

Mendy is fine for a couple of games.

But Wilf wasn’t completely rested, was he? Still played about 25 minutes versus Brentford barely 3 days earlier.

Wilf because of his pace around the pitch allows us to play with a two in there. I hope it's only a precaution and a week out at most.

Mendy was excellent last night when he came in but I think we'd need to go to a Three if Wilf is missing.

Maybe Ricardo or Fofana along with Youri and Mendy in there just to cover all the spaces and stop teams getting at us.

Edited by Clever Fox
Left out a word

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Shows doesn't it that resting players in cup games makes no difference. They can get injured any time. Fingers crossed it wasn't anything too serious because he's been exceptional since his return and Tielemans is great alongside him too.

Mendy is fine for a couple of games.

Of course they can get injured at anytime its the nature of sport. But resting them occasionally makes the risk much less as tired muscles are more likely to get injured.

• Like 2

I’m not one for putting square pegs in round holes but how do we think Fofana would fair in a DM role if Mendy/Ndidi was injured?

He apparently used to play there and reads the game incredibly well. Like I say I’m not trying to change his position just wondered how we thought he could do.

2 minutes ago, les-tah said:

I’m not one for putting square pegs in round holes but how do we think Fofana would fair in a DM role if Mendy/Ndidi was injured?

He apparently used to play there and reads the game incredibly well. Like I say I’m not trying to change his position just wondered how we thought he could do.

I think you’re more likely to see soyuncu and mendy come into the team and a back three being played with fofana part of that.

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

In an emergency, foreseeable.

41 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Thought Mendy slotted in incredibly well once Wilf had to go off. Wilf is exceptional, but Nampalys is a tremendous back up

Yeah he's like a little wasp pestering people but then does the simple things well too.  He knows his strengths and moves the ball quickly on to more technical players. 

By the way the physio was moving Wilf about it cannot be that serious .If its that bad you know it and tell the physio to lay off or else.They spent a bit of time working on him before the sub so lets be optimistic maybe a couple of weeks in the freezer.

• Like 1

Based on what's been said post match and what I saw with my own eyes, it looks like Wilf has felt something and gone down as a precaution. He kept shaking his head a lot as the physio was testing his leg out in different positions, which I would assume is him saying "no pain".

Feeling confident he won't miss a great deal of time if any.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sampson said:

Ndidi in the DCM role brings out the best in Maddison and Barnes as neither seem to fit the 3-4-2-1 system quite as well but hopefully if we have to return to that without Ndidi then we've a better base form from them two to go on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Yeah he's like a little wasp pestering people but then does the simple things well too.  He knows his strengths and moves the ball quickly on to more technical players. 

I think the substitution inadvertently suited us. 

There was no play to break up 2nd half. Just Mendy and Tielemans busily mopping up all the loose ball and recycling with quick, clever balls here there and everywhere 

Edit to add how Tielemans wasnt awarded motm was remarkable 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

It always amazes me how well he shields the ball for someone his size!

2 hours ago, M0901 said:

It always amazes me how well he shields the ball for someone his size!

His centre of gravity is like that of a Dyson Small Ball Allergy, have you ever tried to get the ball out of the bottom of a cupboard with the hoover in the way? 

• Haha 3