Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Liverpool's title?!!

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

absolutely. i’ve been saying for weeks people genuinely either seem to be in denial, or are just plain stupid. this liverpool team is unbelievable. they will probably get more points this season than last season. they’re going to break nearly every record there has ever been. 

there is literally no every chance we will catch them. 

I'm sorry but I was compelled to correct you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, deep blue said:

They weren't miles better than us when we played them at Anfield.

i mean they were a bit. they had 18 shots and we had 2. the score line was close and we hung in really well and took our only chance but it wasn’t like we deserved anything. and that was them “not playing very well”. they’ve barely got going this season and have won 12/13 games and have an easy run until xmas. 

whichever way you look at it, it would be an absolute miracle for them to not win the league this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

This Liverpool side is a fantastic side.  Let’s talk about the title if/when we get within 3 points of them.

i don’t mind finishing second to them and if we finish above the current Man City side it says a lot.  Ultimately top 4 is a great season.

We are going to do what L'pool did last year....Then Copy them in 2020/ 2021...

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Disagree. I think there's every chance Liverpool can lose to the likes of  Everton,Man City, Man Utd and even mid table Burnley, Newcastle, Wolves type teams.

Confidence and nerves can do funny things to sports pros

They could also lose to Leicester😝

Joking aside, of course there's every chance every team can lose to every other team. Every dog has it's day and I've never used the word every so much in one paragraph

2 hours ago, deep blue said:

They weren't miles better than us when we played them at Anfield.

They completely outplayed us. 

They controlled the game, were a bit wasteful, and were punished with literally our only shot on target in the entire game. The pen got them out of jail. 

We have an excellent, young side this season, one that could not only deliver Champions League football but hold on to the players that delivered it and look to build season on season and establish ourselves at the country’s top table.

Quite why folk are getting preoccupied with Liverpool I don’t know, they’ve dropped two points all season, they are eight ahead, they aren’t going to give us an opportunity to catch them. They’ve also negotiated some stinking fixtures and don’t even have a tough game until we play them on Boxing Day.....and if they don’t win it you’ve got Manchester City who, at full strength, which admittedly is something they are struggling with at the moment, have a superior first xi to us. And could quite conceivably beat us twice.

We finish top 4 I’m loving it, If the title winning season taught you anything it should be take it game by game and while we are 8 points behind forget it. I can understand folk thinking why we stand a chance, this side is probably better than the one that won the league, but 81 points, or more than likely even 91 points will not cut it this year. And we ain’t getting more than 91 points.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

They completely outplayed us. 

They controlled the game, were a bit wasteful, and were punished with literally our only shot on target in the entire game. The pen got them out of jail. 

We have an excellent, young side this season, one that could not only deliver Champions League football but hold on to the players that delivered it and look to build season on season and establish ourselves at the country’s top table.

Quite why folk are getting preoccupied with Liverpool I don’t know, they’ve dropped two points all season, they are eight ahead, they aren’t going to give us an opportunity to catch them. They’ve also negotiated some stinking fixtures and don’t even have a tough game until we play them on Boxing Day.....and if they don’t win it you’ve got Manchester City who, at full strength, which admittedly is something they are struggling with at the moment, have a superior first xi to us. And could quite conceivably beat us twice.

We finish top 4 I’m loving it, If the title winning season taught you anything it should be take it game by game and while we are 8 points behind forget it. I can understand folk thinking why we stand a chance, this side is probably better than the one that won the league, but 81 points, or more than likely even 91 points will not cut it this year. And we ain’t getting more than 91 points.

Did they? As a Leicester fan I remember them ripping us off with a cheaty foul. 

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 3

Someone summed it up as one defeat in fifty two. It would take something catastrohic for them to drop 9 and for us to  make up the difference. 

However, perhaps I am underestimating how good we really are so let the bandwagon roll on. Loving the ride.

Edited by wokinghamfox

The fat ally is already loosening up her vocal chords. That said if we, Chelsea and Man City take points from them then it suddenly starts to get interesting. In reality though I think they are simply too far ahead, look unbeatable and it will be an all out scrap for second

4 minutes ago, urban fox said:

The fat ally is already loosening up her vocal chords. That said if we, Chelsea and Man City take points from them then it suddenly starts to get interesting. In reality though I think they are simply too far ahead, look unbeatable and it will be an all out scrap for second

Bit harsh on Mauchlin that!

• Like 1

The realists are right of course - statistically Liverpool are heavy favourites, and I also realise that the language used (it's over, forget it, get top 4 etc) is a way to prevent self-inflicted torture, so I get that too.

However, our team is a beaut, and football is still unpredictable and capable of anomalies. Keep winning the games and see what happens.

• Like 1

It's Liverpool's to lose now and I'd be very surprised if they didn't win the league from the position that they find themselves in.

Having said that the real test will be how they respond once they eventually face defeat. Do they have the mental strength to brush it off and bounce back with a victory in their next game?

I'm also interested in seeing how they perform towards the back end of the season. They play such a high energy game and have little squad rotation that given both the number of games that they've played this calendar year along with the volume of games that they'll play over of the course of this season I think it eventually will have to take it's toll. To maintain such performance levels would defy the principles of sports science as we know it so I think they'll need to start utilising their fringe player's more if they are to both manage their workload and sustain this level of performance. Maybe the winter break will help them slightly on this front, but whilst it will inevitably benefit the player's psychologically I'm not convinced it is long enough to be of great benefit physiologically. 

The final test for them will be expectation levels going into the final third of the season. We know how much their fans are desperate to win the league, but as reigning European Champions they'll also be under pressure to maintain their crown so it'll be interesting to see come the latter stages how they prioritise their fixtures and which competition they favour. I don't think their squad has it in them to win both competitions this season so something will have to give. Again assuming that they eventually face tough opposition in the CL and at some point are defeated what impact will this have on their mental state and confidence? 

As @Manwell Pablo stated above we are truly a fantastic young up and coming side who given a season or two and a bit of investment to strengthen the squad will no doubt be challenging for the league over the next few seasons, however I agree with his point that at this moment in time if anyone truly has the resources and strength in depth this season, Man City surely will be the team that pushes Liverpool all the way.

That's not taking anything away from our achievements so far this season but let's just see how the season plays out and try not to burden these young men with the pressure of such high expectations whilst they are still developing both individually and as a team. 

Edited by ian_marshall

Asked if he minds the questions over a title week after week, Rodgers said: “As long as you’re still asking me in April, it’s fine! 

“We’re happy, we’re not shying away from anything, but I just think there’s only 13 games gone.

What’s really pleasing is the consistency. We arrived in and they were in 12th and we wanted to improve and build on the good work that Claude [Puel] had done.

“What’s great now is that our supporters are singing: ‘We’re going to win the league!’ in the most competitive league in the world, so that tells you where they’re at, the confidence they have and the dreams that they have, which is absolutely brilliant.

“For me, it’s keeping the team focused because you have to work. What you’ve done in the previous 12 games has gone. It’s about being judged on today and I thought we put in a terrific performance and kept another clean sheet."

• Like 2

I just don't think our lads are under any pressure at all. 

At the moment, I think we all just fancy being IN THE RACE itself, rather than worrying about overhauling Liverpool.

Just nestle in on their slipstream, wait for March and kick! 

Imagine the pressure and panic in them waiting for their first title in eons and being snapped at the heels by us of all teams - cocky and confident title winners with nothing to.lose 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

Liverpool are scraping wins every week, they are very rarely blowing teams away. They are heavily reliant on cheating with the direct help of VAR. 

Is that sustainable??? 

The other way of looking at that is scraping wins when your not playing well is the mark of a championship winning side.

• Like 3