Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Liverpool's title?!!

I'm just happy we're 13 games in and it's even being mentioned. Still firmly in the if we finish top 4 that's a fantastic season brigade though. Long way to go, win a few more on the bounce, head into Xmas with a double digit lead over 5th place and we can all go into the new year on a high. 

• Like 3

I had a look at one of their forums last night. A couple of sensible people saying one game at a time. 

Then the idiots were posting. Some think they’ll go unbeaten the entire season and will get 105 points. Some have written off Man City already.

I’ll tell you why I haven’t written off Man City, Chelsea (or us secretly): I honestly believe we can beat these on Boxing Day. They’re going to play Everton soon too. Yes, Everton are dogshit at the moment, but I look at derbies like cup games. I think form can go out of the window as your game can be lifted. 

Everton may also have a new manager by then so will be (hopefully) playing for their place/pride. 

Footballers are delicate souls sometimes and it only takes 2 or three games of stumbling (especially on the bounce) before they start questioning themselves. 

Liverpool have hardly been convincing this season and yes, while that means they could still hit top gear, they could also flounder too. 

When Man City won it with 100 points, they were superb for 99% of the season. Liverpool don’t feel like that to me. I’m not going to bang on about the diving against us or Villa, but they  were fortunate those games. 

There’s an awful long way to go and I think it’s too soon to call champions. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

Did they? As a Leicester fan I remember them ripping us off with a cheaty foul. 

They did.

They also completely outplayed us, were wasteful and shouldn’t of allowed themselves to get into the position where we able to level the game with our first (and only) attempt on goal. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

This Liverpool side is a fantastic side.  Let’s talk about the title if/when we get within 3 points of them.

i don’t mind finishing second to them and if we finish above the current Man City side it says a lot.  Ultimately top 4 is a great season.

Aye. We’d finish above all the players who’d left for pastures new as we start our Champions League campaign.

30 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

They did.

They also completely outplayed us, were wasteful and shouldn’t of allowed themselves to get into the position where we able to level the game with our first (and only) attempt on goal. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Looking at the stats, outplayed is a bit of a stretch. 0 shots on target. Zero!

They had 6% more possession only as tbe homeside. Really hardly dominated and outplayed us. 

Screenshot_20191124-112745.png

1 hour ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I had a look at one of their forums last night. A couple of sensible people saying one game at a time. 

Then the idiots were posting. Some think they’ll go unbeaten the entire season and will get 105 points. Some have written off Man City already.

I’ll tell you why I haven’t written off Man City, Chelsea (or us secretly): I honestly believe we can beat these on Boxing Day. They’re going to play Everton soon too. Yes, Everton are dogshit at the moment, but I look at derbies like cup games. I think form can go out of the window as your game can be lifted. 

Everton may also have a new manager by then so will be (hopefully) playing for their place/pride. 

Footballers are delicate souls sometimes and it only takes 2 or three games of stumbling (especially on the bounce) before they start questioning themselves. 

Liverpool have hardly been convincing this season and yes, while that means they could still hit top gear, they could also flounder too. 

When Man City won it with 100 points, they were superb for 99% of the season. Liverpool don’t feel like that to me. I’m not going to bang on about the diving against us or Villa, but they  were fortunate those games. 

There’s an awful long way to go and I think it’s too soon to call champions. 

everton haven't won at anfield since 1998. i think this kinda shows that people are ignoring pretty obvious form trends and stats just on the hope that "well they might suddenly go from the best form any team has ever shown in football history to being in relegation form, for no reason". 

their fixtures over this "tricky december" are 

brighton, everton, bournemouth, watford, leicester, wolves, sheff u. they could leave half their squad in qatar to help build the world cup stadiums and still get through that without losing a point. 

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

everton haven't won at anfield since 1998. i think this kinda shows that people are ignoring pretty obvious form trends and stats just on the hope that "well they might suddenly go from the best form any team has ever shown in football history to being in relegation form, for no reason". 

brighton, everton, bournemouth, watford, leicester, wolves, sheff u. they could leave half their squad in qatar to help build the world cup stadiums and still get through that without losing a point. 

I think we would have something to say about that!!!! And possibly Wolves and Sheffield United

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cala Bona Fox said:

Can you imagine how much of a melt down there would be in both Liverpool and Chris Suttons house if they were denied the title by a team managed by Brendan Rodgers. 

In my Dreams.

Even if we match Liverpool's points tally for the rest of the season. Which would be a herculean effort considering they are European champions with one of the best forward lines and defences in europe. We will still finish the season a whopping 8 points behind them. The reality is the points gap is more likely to increase than decrease.

The only thing that that will get us or anyone else for that matter in a proper title race this season is a Kegan at Newcastle in the 90s style collapse. Not impossible but definitely improbable.

Edited by The whole world smiles

13 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Even if we match Liverpool's points tally for the rest of the season. Which would be a herculean effort considering they are European champions with one of the best forward lines and defences in europe. We will still finish the season a whopping 8 points behind them. The reality is the points gap is more likely to increase than decrease.

The only thing that that will get us or anyone else for that matter in a proper title race this season is a Kegan at Newcastle in the 90s style collapse. Not impossible but definitely improbable.

Liverpool have dropped the ball before, usually after Xmas, all depends on whether a team is available to make them pay this year but it is only a third of the season gone and any one of Leicester, Man City or Chelsea can suddenly charge up behind them if they falter.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Will LIverpool win the title thanks to VAR, it seems so.

VAR got everything right in the Liverpool game yesterday? I seriously cannot see how anyone can say that wasn’t a foul on Lovren, imagine if that happens to us and goes against us. This place would be up in arms. 

We got away with murder in the penalty area 15/16, we’d have given away a penalty every other game this season. 

54 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

You are probably right however they have not won it yet.

They still have to play Everton twice as mentioned not a great record but still its 2 big derby games they have to contend with.

They still have to play Wolves twice who are pretty decent at stopping the bigger teams playing there game, wont be easy.

Then the usual tough run of fixtures at a crucial time in the season when there squad will be at its weakest... 

Leicester (A) 

Tottenham (A)

Man United (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (A)

Chelsea (H)

including the two games against Everton and Wolves that's 30 points up for stake..

They will drop points, but so will Leicester, Man City and Chelsea so its still anyone's to win yet imo… its not as cut and dry as you make out.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bert said:

VAR got everything right in the Liverpool game yesterday? I seriously cannot see how anyone can say that wasn’t a foul on Lovren, imagine if that happens to us and goes against us. This place would be up in arms. 

We got away with murder in the penalty area 15/16, we’d have given away a penalty every other game this season. 

Agreed. Not a huge fan of Liverpool but this whole Livarpool thing is embarrassing. They’ve had decisions go against them and for them, like every club in the league have. They’re top because they’re the best side in the league. 

Guest Markyblue
23 minutes ago, Bert said:

Didn't get away with murder, was the same for everyone and referees were told the season after to look out for certain things in the box and we were alot less able to defend corners etc.

2 hours ago, LC/FC said:

They had 6% more possession only as tbe homeside. Really hardly dominated and outplayed us. 

Seriously - we commited one foul ..... one foul away from home ..... as a manager, I would want to make further investigations as to whether we are missing out on making those ‘tactical’ fouls deep in their half 

5 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Didn't get away with murder, was the same for everyone and referees were told the season after to look out for certain things in the box and we were alot less able to defend corners etc.

Well we absolutely did. Your point of being a lot less able to defend corners after proves this too. Why were the refs told to look out for certain things? Because of us. 

2 hours ago, LC/FC said:

Mate we are on about Liverpool lol 

Brighton had a good 20 mins aside from that we were worthy winners.

• Like 1

I don't want Liverpool to win the league in the slightest but they are very good. The big thing for me that is different now is the mentality. As much as I hate to say it Klopp has built a very, very good side and they have that mentality that they need to keep going.

They aren't unbeatable but I think it is, finally, their year this year. Never say never, funnier things have happened, but I'll be surprised if they haven't wrapped it up with a few games spare. It's very quiet up here, and that's the scary thing.

Honestly, reading some of these alarmingly defeatist ‘thrown in the towel’ posts when we are just 13 games into a 38-match season does make me wonder whether

a) we have been infiltrated by a gang of Lawros

or

b) the posters are only saying it’s Liverpool’s title already so they can smugly give us an “I told you so” if the Scousers do finally end up getting that Premier League monkey off their back.

Yes, Liverpool have a big lead and are obviously massive favourites at this point in time, but champions already? Do me a favour. This is sport. Anything can happen.

• Like 1