Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Liverpool's title?!!

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Even if we match Liverpool's points tally for the rest of the season. Which would be a herculean effort considering they are European champions with one of the best forward lines and defences in europe. We will still finish the season a whopping 8 points behind them. The reality is the points gap is more likely to increase than decrease.

The only thing that that will get us or anyone else for that matter in a proper title race this season is a Kegan at Newcastle in the 90s style collapse. Not impossible but definitely improbable.

Another way of looking at it will be how many league games will Liverpool play before their record is Won ????, Drawn 2, Lost 2?

For us to catch them we will have had to win all our games up until that point. It's December in a week and Liverpool have dropped 2pts so far this season. 

My focus is still solely top 4 and the Champions League. Maybe if we have made some ground on Liverpool by Boxing Day and we beat them then I will re-evaluate but when Liverpool play any club with top four ambitions this season then I'm cheering on Liverpool until further notice. If we fail to get CL football then this team will be broke up in the summer. 

17 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Honestly, reading some of these alarmingly defeatist ‘thrown in the towel’ posts when we are just 13 games into a 38-match season does make me wonder whether

a) we have been infiltrated by a gang of Lawros

or

b) the posters are only saying it’s Liverpool’s title already so they can smugly give us an “I told you so” if the Scousers do finally end up getting that Premier League monkey off their back.

Yes, Liverpool have a big lead and are obviously massive favourites at this point in time, but champions already? Do me a favour. This is sport. Anything can happen.

it’s a bit a realism not throwing in the towel, obviously we try and win every game.

If we somehow get a bit closer then yeah, let’s get excited, but for now you are just going to ruin an incredible season for yourself thinking we stand a chance of winning the league while they’re 8 points ahead and winning every week. we’ve still got a lot of work to do to secure a top four place. Christmas is going to be tough we’re playing a lot of good teams in a small space of time and that gap down to fifth could well close up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ithuriel said:

Liverpool have dropped the ball before, usually after Xmas, all depends on whether a team is available to make them pay this year but it is only a third of the season gone and any one of Leicester, Man City or Chelsea can suddenly charge up behind them if they falter.

Liverpool are averaging 2.84 points a game this season and 2.62 a game over this season and last (51 games). We are flying this season (13 games) and are averaging 2.23 points per game. 

Baring in mind we are already 8 points behind it will take more than them faltering we need an all out meltdown/collapse to be in a title race.

26 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

it’s a bit a realism not throwing in the towel, obviously we try and win every game.

If we somehow get a bit closer then yeah, let’s get excited, but for now you are just going to ruin an incredible season for yourself thinking we stand a chance of winning the league while they’re 8 points ahead and winning every week. we’ve still got a lot of work to do to secure a top four place. Christmas is going to be tough we’re playing a lot of good teams in a small space of time and that gap down to fifth could well close up.

Believe me, finishing in the top four would not ‘ruin’ the season for me in the slightest. Far from it, I’d be absolutely delighted.

I have no intention of inviting disappointment with unrealistic hopes and demands, but to say Liverpool are certs to win the league at this early stage of the season is just nonsensical.

• Like 2

Not saying it's going to happen or I believe it will happen but if we do manage to beat them on Boxing day then we only need to better their results in 3 games to be on level points. They will drop points soon, they have been shaky a few times and got lucky. 

If (massive if) we continue to perform against the lower teams and keep winning then we could well be up in the mix towards after the Christmas break. 

Up the Foxes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

everton haven't won at anfield since 1998. i think this kinda shows that people are ignoring pretty obvious form trends and stats just on the hope that "well they might suddenly go from the best form any team has ever shown in football history to being in relegation form, for no reason". 

their fixtures over this "tricky december" are 

brighton, everton, bournemouth, watford, leicester, wolves, sheff u. they could leave half their squad in qatar to help build the world cup stadiums and still get through that without losing a point. 

Im not being argumentative, just clarifying my point 👍

I’m not thinking they’ll go from being the best to relegation form. 

All I’m saying is, there’s such a long way to go yet. I’m looking forward to some twists 😁

Personally, I find it hard to buy into the thinking that Everton haven’t won at Anfield for X amount of years. Same goes with 99% of historical facts like us not winning in London for so many years etc. 

This is historical thing is something I’ve never really got and I’ll be honest, I still struggle with it. To me, it means nothing. It’s about the day and the moment.

Everton could be fired up, Liverpool could have an off-day. Plus, throw in the pressure of a derby, I think history goes out of the window. I don’t think we can discount form because that definitely has a role and if it was won on paper, pre-match, I’d pick Liverpool 100%. But there’s always that part of you that just doesn’t know. 

Liverpool slipped (no pun) from first on Christmas Day, to fifth in the New year in 2014. I’m not saying that’ll happen now because that’ll take epic failings, but I also don’t think they’re as good as the 100 point Man City team either. That said, who is around right now like that Man City team? 

I just think the Liverpool fans are being ridiculous saying they’ll get 105 points. 

yeah history is a bit off when you take some of the silly facts match of the day come up with like “someone hasn’t beaten a team wearing yellow since 1967” or whatever.

but to say “everton will be up for it, it’s a derby anything could happen” when that literally isn’t the case because they haven’t won for 21 years is a bit different. surely they are fired up and the form book goes out the window every season they play each other? but they literally never win. 

cant even remember what my point really was in this thread other than the fact that i can’t believe people don’t understand how good liverpool are. and all this thread has done is make me believe it even less. so much better than everyone else. look at the table and their form ffs. 

• Like 2

On 24/11/2019 at 19:27, Long Eaton Fox said:

They have been scraping through games lately with a little bit of luck and last minute goals. Lose two and we win those two and it's 2 points difference. Heavy work load over the next two months. Every things possible

In the last two months, Liverpool have, in four games, gained 8 points from goals in the last 5 minutes of games. Perhaps not as comfortable or as superior as the media would like to make out.

4 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

In the last two months, Liverpool have, in four games, gained 8 points from goals in the last 5 minutes of games. Perhaps not as comfortable or as superior as the media would like to make out.

But that makes their current run even more impressive in my opinion. They find a way to win games - it's what made Man Utd such a force under Fergie for all those years. Fair play to them - they're not just blowing teams away, they're winning dirty where they need to. 

2 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

But that makes their current run even more impressive in my opinion. They find a way to win games - it's what made Man Utd such a force under Fergie for all those years. Fair play to them - they're not just blowing teams away, they're winning dirty where they need to. 

Exactly this. Like when we were winning every game 1-0. Stuff of champions.

I just feel they are using their luck/nous of winning too early in the season. Having said that, there is a big gap and the chasing pack are not as powerful. Yes, we're on a good run but realistically, not gonna keep it up for 25 more games (unless we keep pretty injury free). Man City have had injury problems and are not as destructive as last season when they could blow teams apart. Chelsea are not title material.

So unless Liverpool completely collapse or have a horrendous injury run, they should be able to come out on top. But this is football, and lots can happen. 25 games is a long way.

I think the table after the NY fixtures will really tell how things will pan out. That December period into early Jan is crucial to establish your position.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

Yep.

I've never bought the whole "lucky" thing. Scoring in the last minute of games isn't lucky, if anything it's the complete oppositie - to keep going and pushing for 95 minutes is good.

Most sides that win titles scrape certain games, even we did it. Think back to games such as Norwich at home.

Liverpool are class and good to watch. It's a massive shame for us as I think we are in a title challenge but I can't see past Liverpool as I don't think they'll drop points consistently. They might lose a game or draw two games but after that I can't see anything other than them regaining form again. After January especially will be key as always. Klopp's been there and done it to with Dortmund so he'll know how to handle all this.

Edited by Fox92

On 23/11/2019 at 19:54, ScouseFox said:

absolutely. i’ve been saying for weeks people genuinely either seem to be in denial, or are just plain stupid. this liverpool team is unbelievable. they will probably get more points this season than last season. they’re going to break nearly every record there has ever been. 

there is literally no chance we will catch them. 

They're brilliant at winning games so it feels weird to say it but they just aren't as good as their results suggest? Their front three is probably the best in the world and they seem to win games on their individual talent eventually shining through (and VAR). Seems almost every week they win unconvincingly