Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

6 hours ago, LCFCbwoi said:

You’re talking about a foreign player whose second language is English. I’m sure you’d look like a bright spark speaking french in Paris after a few years 

He's actually been playing in England for 6 years. But it's not the fact that English isn't his first language. Like I said. I've met the guy and he's not the brightest. Really doesn't matter though cause he's paid to be a footballer and not a scientist. My point was that he shouldn't really be doing interviews. For example Youri and Ndidi's first language isn't English but they come across much better in interviews. 

5 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Well, does take something of a genius to meet someone superficially and leap to the conclusion that "he isn't too blessed in the intelligence department". 

Btw, earnestly interested as to the basis of your seemingly precipitous conclusion. Did he not speak the Queen's English properly? Did he fail at solving complex mathematical equations? Perhaps he failed to grasp the intricacies of the effects of Covid on the UK economy? Or did he simply fail to negotiate his way out of the grocery aisle or the parking lot? Here's a suggestion buddy, try sitting down for a proper conversation in his particular Nigerian language and then figure out what his "intelligence blessing" truly is. What? You cannot speak his language (even though he can passably speak yours)? Wow! We might all be compelled to re-evaluate who's really 'blessed' here.

Seriously not going to get into this debate with you. See my reply from others. His English language skills isn't the problem. Look at interviews with Ndidi and Youri and then compare. 

6 hours ago, LCFCbwoi said:

So what point are you trying to make? Gareth Bales team mate said he could speak Spanish therefore...? 

That sometimes in interviews people may be shy, awkward, etc so they may not the the ideal way to judge a player’s entire intellectual worth I assume was his point? 

EDIT: I think I’m wrong. It’s early. Ignore me. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

49 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Why did this thread go off into language skills?  Us Brits should be last to comment on foreign language skills....go to France or Spain and you'll find British(usually English) immigrants who have lived there for 10 years or more and they can hardly put a sentence together in Spanish or French.   Nacho scored and got us out of playing an extra 30 mins, so we should give him praise instead of criticising his language skills!

:appl:

• Like 1

I'm reminded of a section from 'All Played Out', by Pete Davies, about Italia '90. At one point, some dim English fans are being spoken to by Italians.' They're taking the piss', comes the protest. How so?  asks Davies. 'Speaking foreign' comes the reply. 

That book still deserves reading, but if you're someone who thinks being English makes you innately superior, you'll be offended by it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hejammy said:

Nacho, great at heading a last minute goal. Should never do a post match interview again. Almost car crash TV that was 

have you heard vardy’s interviews? if anything they’re just as bad. full of cliches. at least Kelechi spoke his mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, murphy said:

I think Lineker learned Spanish and became pretty fluent.

I've got nothing to say about Kelechi's interview, seemed no better or worse than most post match interviews, I think it's a bit of a chore for the most part.  It's just this second language thing.  Isn't English the official language of Nigeria?

English is the official language but most has to learn at school. A friend of mine didn't speak english 'til he was ten yo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Bit random but on the subject of interviews this one brings a smile to my face in that Sol Bamba sounds more Scottish than Paul Gallagher. 

Bloody hell that's a blast from the past. Can't remember him sounding like that. How long did he spend in Scotland?