Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City Post Match Thread - first defeat in 12

Outclassed, De Bruyne and Mahrez ran the show.

Games like today prove that Chilwell ain't all that, every time Riyad ran at him he shit himself.

Our wingers are all bang average, none of them are good enough to start games.

Kasper MOTM by a mile, saved it from potentially being 6 or 7.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Man City were absolutely fantastic, the intensity and quality they played with would have been a joy to watch against anyone but us, and very few teams in the world could live with it. Wasn't too dissimilar to the performance under Puel there. We were battered and fair play to them, the league table lies in terms of the relative strength of both teams. 

But we did everything we could to make it harder for ourselves. It was actually really easy for them in the end. 

Why are we playing a Number 10 in the Number 8 position up against De Bruyne? Maddison didn't get near him once which dragged Chilwell out.
Why when this is so blatantly ****ing obvious very early on do we continue with it for the whole game? Drop Chilwell into the centre and drag Barnes in to sit at left back to take away Mahrez's space and sit deep for a bit. Chilwell can then go out to De Bruyne if needs be

Why when Perez stinks out the whole of the North West with his first half performance does he return for the second half to extend the stink to the whole of the country?

Why when you consistently can't beat the press and give it away 25 yards from your own goal umpteen times do you keep pissing around with it to do exactly the same and keep the pressure on you

Why the **** is Ricardo diving in like that? 

Hopefully on Thursday we can be happy with our part in the game whatever the result. Let's just make sure we get that Top 4 spot

Yep I'd agree with all of that.

I do think we have to give Man City credit for us giving the ball away so much though, their press was organised superbly throughout.

• Like 2

Disappointing really.  Masterclass from KDB and City deserved winners.

From our perspective, we were too slow to identify the issue with KDB and Mahrez.  Chilwell needed support and with hindsight could have done with Fuchs in the squad, especially as he had Mahrez in his back pocket last time.  Really wanted us to have a good go at them but just never happened.  I think you have to applaud City for that with their press and domination.

Hopefully it doesn’t derail our top 3 ambitions because that was quite convincing.  Although outside City and Liverpool there’s not a lot to worry about behind us at the minute.

• Like 1

Man City were very good but I thought we were poor and was disappointed Rogers didn't change things up and try to something different.

I'm more disappointed with the performance than the result. I didn't expect us to win but we're better than tonight suggested.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

At the start of the season when we played Liverpool and Man U people complained Rodgers got it wrong in going with a diamond. Today people complain he went with 4-1-4-1. I think he was just giving them a chance today.

He must know our wingers aren't good enough. Barnes doesn't have the composure or the all round game to start at this level yet - but he shows glimpses of quality. Perez just isn't a winger.

Today showed we need two wingers. When teams press Man City high they just dink it out to a winger who's in space. We had no outlet whatsoever, apart from a long ball to Vardy. Our midfield was really poor today.

It is what is. Man City when they're on form are better than us when we're on form. Add two quality wingers and I think it'd be a different story.

Edited by Guesty

Reality check for us that, Manchester were better than us in every department today and it was very disappointing. I won't call anyone out but clear that with the tactics we played today that some of our players aren't quite at this level yet. perhaps it required a different approach?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Manchester City were excellent, comfortably the best team we’ve played by a distance and we didn’t turn up.

As I said in the match thread it’s absolutely ridiculous that you can get a penalty for a minimal clip of the foot but absolutely nothing for being totally wiped out to the extent that you somersault and end up going off injured.

Agreed and even the PGMOL explanation of why it wasn’t given is not great either, if that happens anywhere else on the pitch it’s a free kick 

Totally second best all game. Scored against the run of play and then never properly threatened again.

Worst I've seen Chilwell play. He's good but he's so overrated it's unbelievable. Found out every time we play against s big team away.

Barnes gets in good positions but his finishing is dire. He could have 9/10 goals this season already. Can't keep saying this 'oh he'll come good'. We're forever waiting for it.

Perez I think offers nothing at times. Barely has a say at all during games, and simply ineffective. I feel upgrades are needed on either side. Could do with a new Albrighton style player, and a winger who will threaten and score fairly often. 

It's a shame but today was a real test and we looked very vulnerable all game. I hope the boys get enough rest for the busy period coming up now. Feel we looked a bit tired today. It does show the depth of our squad is thin considering we've made a semi final but not made many changes. Good that Liverpool have a travel back before they play us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Rodgers out @StriderHiryu in

...add @justfoxes as the motivational coach and the title race is still on!

I think criticising the tactical setup today is valid as it didn't do us any favours.

But at the same time, individual player performances also let us down. When Norwich beat Man City (and to a lesser extent got a point against us), they did so by playing out of and around the Man City Press. They had confidence to knock the ball around in midfield and tried to play football. We just didn't get that side of our game going very well at all. I think it wasn't until the second half where we had any decent passage of play to shout about.

So whilst I think we can be critical of Rodgers for not starting the right way or changing things up, I don't think it would have changed the result. They were simply better than us all over the park tonight.

• Like 1

Disappointing, but Man City were on it today. 

For me I always want Hamza as an option for these types of matches. Time and time again he’s shown the difference he can make.

But bigger picture - he have had a phenomenal run. It’s a young team who are still adapting and we are still second in the league. 

• Like 2