Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Md9

Ryan bennett

Congerton is IN CHARGE of the scouting network. He decides where to send our scouts (that are largely the same as those under Walsh) to compile reports on players.

So while the players might not be as left field as Kante, Mahrez etc. the same care will be taken as to how they fit in with the clubs ethos before they are handed over to the recruitment team.

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 2

The way I look at it if we made this signing 6 months ago the majority who aren’t happy with this signing would of been happy to have him as BACK UP.

He’s simply fell down the pecking order due to the way they want to play not because of his ability. It seems clear that we are after a centre back who can deal with big strikers.

• Like 1

I get that some might be disappointed that we have not made a marquee signing CB but firstly, we are primarily looking for cover to see us through to the end of the season and secondly you can only buy what is available. If you believe the rumours then our first choice target is a) injured and b) not for sale so I think this is actually decent business at this point in time and we can re-evaluate the position in the summer when there may be more options open to us.

• Like 1

Cant see why there's no much negativity, realistically only Merih Demiral stood a chance of coming in and dislodging our current centre back partnership. 

He's played plenty of times in a good Wolves side over the last couple of years and comes with both premier league and europa league experience. What more were we realistically expecting? 

This gives Benkovic the chance to go out and develop in a better division than the SPL, as he would of been back in the 23s once Morgan gets back to full fitness. 

• Like 1

Very shrewd signing.  Not groundbreaking but improves the depth of the squad with a proven Premier quality player with not really denting the finances.

Obviously not the hooha of a record signing flash winger or top striker, but not every signing can be that way.  Some have to be practical and this is definitely that.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Look at those out-of-favour, unwanted, down-the-pecking-order players we've signed in the past ... Huth, Albrighton, Simpson etc. 

Calm yourselves.

This was the sort of signing I was talking about in the Vestegaard thread. Picking up the odd bargain to leave bigger funds for obvious talent in key areas like out wide in the summer is what we might have to do and should do. Many clubs pick up free transfers or the odd squad player like this. I'd much rather we do this every so often than continue to pay £10-20m for fringe players and then not have the ability to get the gamechangers in that cost £30-60m in this current climate.

• Like 3

Underwhelming for some but a shrewd acquisition. He'll bring experience, toughness, and leadership all much needed qualities that will enhance our squad as we attempt to clinch a Champions League spot. Expect marquee signings in the summer when money goes further and we can attract the higher quality players by offering them guaranteed CL football. We are building something here not trying to look good. 

• Like 2

Amazed by the negativity around this.....

Quite clearly the club wanted a 'bigger' name and to spend more money but this window is so difficult to do that, you've heard Rodgers saying it time and time again.

It was just essential we got someone in to cover given the lack of options in that area.

This guy was a regular in a team that finished 7th last season and he's played a good few games this season.

Experienced cover in a position we're short and absolutely ideal until the end of the season.

If he's good then 5m permanent deal in the summer is a no brainer, if he's not good then we've lost next to nothing. Risk free

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nettle said:

Bodgerton is waving his magic wand🤣

1 hour ago, nettle said:

It's called the Bodgerton effect mate.

53 minutes ago, nettle said:

He did a cracking job at Sunderland, I think I'll reserve judgement on him for a bit longer yet if that's ok by you.

Could you reserve judgement a little bit harder?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Signing a player and hoping they wont play is gReAt BuSiNeSs - I've heard it all now.

How about going out, showing some ambition and spending money on a player good enough that you hope will play? We're supposed to be going for a Champions League place ffs.

You carry on playing FIFA. Thankfully there's some level headed people running the club.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This was the sort of signing I was talking about in the Vestegaard thread. Picking up the odd bargain to leave bigger funds for obvious talent in key areas like out wide in the summer is what we might have to do and should do. Many clubs pick up free transfers or the odd squad player like this. I'd much rather we do this every so often than continue to pay £10-20m for fringe players and then not have the ability to get the gamechangers in that cost £30-60m in this current climate.

i view this similar to what I would view a third choice GK. You don't need to overthink it just get in someone who can perform at about League One level in the unlikely event he'll ever get a first team game. Bennett is an average PL player, no problem with that.

Bennett has come here as an insurance policy against injuries and able to perform at an adequate level if we get injuries. For me ideally you want 18 first team players in your squad that you can rotate and the other 7 to make up the squad to 25 should consist of:

1) Up and coming players with potential either bought or from the academy

2) Players in the squad on their way down or you haven't got rid of

3) Cheap players or Bosmans who can be adequate and fill a hole if needed

Save the cash for transfers on players who make a difference. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3