Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Leicester 2-2 Chelsea Post Match

Enjoyed that. Chelsea looked good for the first period and I thought we were lucky to have not gone behind early on. Started to show a few signs tho towards the end of the first half. Good character to take the game to them after going behind and while a draw was probably the right result, as borne out the match stats that were almost 50/50 in every metric, feel like we could have taken all three points. 

Great game for the neutrals. As for the pens, I think both were the right decision but I have seen both given. Whichever way the ref calls them VAR would go with as there are good arguments either way for both no clear and obvious error but of course still a matter of opinion but VAR cannot go against the original decision in this type of case.

all in all a good performance all round and it looks like the wheels are well and truly firmly in place.

• Like 1

Feels like 2 points dropped. The first 20 minutes did we string 3 passes together? Should have been at least a goal down so in that regard you'll take the point, I don't think I've seen us play that badly this season hard to know what went wrong really, definitely finished the stronger. Disappointing to concede 2 goals from set pieces. Kaspers distribution terrible today. Barnes was great and Evans for sure our motm today. On to the next one.

We were decent, if Evans and Barnes had took their chances we would have took all three points. 

We don’t have the height at set pieces, I’m never confident whenever we’re defending one or taking one. 

Would have took a point before kick off but at 2-1 thought we were going to go on and win but got hit with a sucker punch. 

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Genuinely can't tell from that angle but..

LEft arm = No pen

Right arm = pen.

Given Mason didn't give the one on Tuesday we were never going to get that one.

I certainly wouldn’t say that was a natural movement but they are never going to overturn their mate’s decision on that basis. 

I think we are just going to have accept that unless it is startlingly obvious, the referees union are going to cover each other’s back. 

42 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

He was bemoaning VAR on a decision where VAR didn’t look at it. Do you realise what the alternative to VAR is? Refs decision stands, same outcome - I don’t know how you can look at that as a reasonable person and complain that not having VAR would have been better as it would literally make zero difference.

Also bemoaning a defender having his arms behind his back for a handball - I’ve not actually seen the incident so not sure if it was or not, but written down it made me thing it’s tongue in cheek!

Abraham check is a completely different issue and not related to what was said.

Maybe if you'd seen it, you'd understand. He moves his hands from his sides to behind him as he fails to block it and the ball passes behind him. It looks a lot worse in slo-mo obviously, but he seems to flick his hand out towards the ball.

Personally I'd rather not have VAR, not have the delays, since there's still as much debacle anyhow.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Genuinely can't tell from that angle but..

LEft arm = No pen

Right arm = pen.

Given Mason didn't give the one on Tuesday we were never going to get that one.

Looks like the right but like you say tough one to tell. Would feel harsh if given against us I suppose 

2 minutes ago, Livid said:

I certainly wouldn’t say that was a natural movement but they are never going to overturn their mate’s decision on that basis. 

I think we are just going to have accept that unless it is startlingly obvious, the referees union are going to cover each other’s back. 

In fairness he's clearly trying to put his arms behind his back.

I'd be absolutely fuming if that was given against us.

Very good contest (as it was at their place) between two well matched sides. We had the better chances over the course of the game - still can’t believe Harvey put that one wide. A good performance without Wilf, and Hamza stepped up to the plate in his absence today. When we pressed them and got physical they struggled with us. I thought Perez was very good as well, one of his better games out on the right, didn’t give Azpilicuta a minutes peace. Two poor set piece goals where we fell asleep the bolt on the copy book. Need to get that focus back and work on that over the break. Hopefully Vardy comes back fitter for Wolves, does not look back to himself just yet

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "We're disappointed not to have won the game. I thought we started both halves slow.

"We should have won having gone 2-1 up. We gifted them two goals really, which we're disappointed with. Our concentration and organisation wasn't quick enough in one or two players. But what we did was show a fantastic mentality to come from behind against a really good side with top-level players.

"Against a top team it might be deemed a good result, but we should win that game. But they've come from a tough game in midweek and battled to get a point."

I like Brendan's words here, putting the emphasis on the team that we should be doing better without being overly harsh. Chelsea are much like ourselves - decent, but not in the same stratosphere as Liverpool or Man City.

• Like 4

Decent game, mainly in the 2nd half. First half was a bit poor - perhaps Tuesday's match showing in terms of fitness. After about half hour we looked like we got in to gear and took the game to them a bit.

2nd half obviously had much more entertainment. Going down 1-0 within a minute could have killed off some teams even at 1-0. Our team showed excellent character and personality (I believe this was questioned after Tuesday). To take the lead and then feel like disappointed we didn't win says a lot about how well we played in that 2nd half. 

The main thing being we didn't lose as that would have been a huge confidence hit after Tuesday. 

Barnes, Chilwell and Perez stood out today. Maddison as well despite first half appearing to be marked out the game. Chelsea were there for the taking and Barnes perhaps should have bagged a brace but I liked that he ran at their defence and gave James something to do. Couple of openings and fortunate with his goal but sometimes you need those things to fall your way. On a bit of a scoring streak in the league with 3 in 3.

Didn't expect Chilwell to get on the scoresheet but glad he did! Should give him some more confidence too.

Thought Perez showed some nice touches and link-up play. Still like him to get more involved on a consistent basis. Hope he doesn't go missing next game...

The goals we conceded were very disappointing. Not seen the goals back but don't think Schmeichel was at fault for either of them (some fans around me were straight at him). Think it was just down to poor marking if anything.

Glad for the 2-week break now. Some players will be cherishing it I'd imagine. Should come back feeling much more refreshed and raring to go...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AylestoneRaider said:

We. Need. To. Be. More. Clinical.

Thats the Villa (both legs) Burnley and Chelsea games where we have failed to win when we have been the better side. In every case we created the chances to win the games.

Definitely agree with that! But the good thing is that we are now a very creative team and make chances, even when going behind. This is a huge improvement on where we were as a team under Shakespeare and Puel and even to an extent under Ranieri.

Rodgers hasn't even been here a full year yet and has already improved the team no end, despite losing a player for 80m in the summer. Hopefully he gets the backing from above which we all expect and we could easily go up another gear again next season.

Also young players tend to improve. Mourinho gets a lot of stick for mishandling Salah at Chelsea but the truth is every time he played for them, he was abysmal. But look at him now that he's in his peak years - one of the very best in Europe. Another example is Sterling for Man City as well who was terrible at finishing and then found his range and confidence and is now one of the best players in the league. For me in our current squad, Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans all have a very high ceiling and could / should improve a lot, and that's just from an offensive capacity. Ihenacho has also gone from being the butt of all jokes to people genuinely (and rightly) getting upset that he's not starting given his form and performances recently.

As a club we are very much heading in the right direction!

• Like 4

Re the penalty shout, three thoughts. Firstly, we'd probably have missed it anyway. Secondly, do some refs bottle big last-minute decisions, because it gives no time for the team on the receiving end the chance to recover? Thirdly, given the amazing technology used in cricket, maybe our idiot referees need further technological assistance, such as capacitative sensing to detect ball-to-hand contact.

23 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Thoughts on the handball? Not seen a replay but players seemed adamant it was one 

Anybody who has played football knows he knows what he is doing. Clever play by the defender, he'll be having a few high fives in the changing room.

• Like 1

Haven't had time to read the reactions but watched the game. Clearly a game we should have won, but the result is key. Avoiding defeat against our closest rival is much better for us than for them. Make no mistake, they are in a 4-way battle for fourth. More opportunity for those teams to beat each other up. We shouldn't be looking over our shoulders. 5 or 6 more wins should be enough. Inexperience is our key flaw at the moment and this is being most obviously manifested in our missing guilt edged chances; often the difference between winning and losing. It is no surprise that Vardy's lack of sharpness since Christmas, mainly due to injury, has been crucial. His goals to chance ratio was ridiculously high prior to this barren run and we were on a tear. Unfortunately, that was unsustainable so the burden has passed to others like Barnes (no implied criticism here he is a young and exciting talent but he snatches at his chances and leans back - something that he will correct and then he'll be frighteningly good) and that is where we've been found wanting. Missing these opportunities also puts more pressure on our defence, hence we are now conceding more goals. Despite all this our current league position hasn't worsened over the last 6 games even though we've been on, by our standards, a shocking run. Although relegation form should see us home from here, once we get a couple of good wins behind us we'll finish third in a canter.