Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Nigel Pearson appreciation ..

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

This happened during Puels time. People use these Pearson nostalgia threads as a thinly veiled way to pile on the current manager. 

Since leaving Leicester he's guided Derby to 20th in the table and nearly took Leuven down to the Belgium non league. 

Not to mention when he was here he strangled an opposing player, verbally abused journalists, told his own fans to fuch of and die and would not accept the club's decision to sack his useless son after a racist orgy in the owners homeland. 

like you I loved the bloke while he was here but It will take more than 5 wins for Watford for me to start pinning for him to replace Brendan who has us clear in the champions League places and playing some of the best football I've ever seen down the city.

I would urge the mods to move this to the general sport section as Pearson is the manager of Watford, then we can concentrate and getting behind the current manager and players (or not as the case might be).

I don’t think anyone is actually considering sacking Rodgers and Kolo for Nige and shakey, it’s just a thread on NP and how good a coach he is.

Well..maybe a few are.

6 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Claudio actually admitted that he barely changed the style of play that Pearson had developed and used sucessfully in the last third of the previous season and, we all know what happened then.

Sorry and this is my opinion, I really do believe that the course of history would've been the same in 15/16 under him.

I hate this whole theory that Ranieri was just some wacky foreigner we wheeled out for press conferences and to stand on the touchline at games. It gives the impression that You, Me or anyone else could have got the job stuck our feet up on the managers desk told Shakespeare and the players to get on with it and we'd have probably finished the season as a Champions League manager!

It is no coincidence that our one season as a title challenging team we were led by a man who had been involved in plenty of them throughout his career. He probably didn't change much initially but the change to 442 having completed the previous season with 3 at the back was pretty damn significant, as was putting plenty of faith in Mahrez which Pearson hadn't done. And a few months later hed switched from the more gung ho Great escape approach, changed the full backs and transitioned us into a world class counter attacking team with the meanest defence LCFC has ever had.

But no let's go with the nothing changed from the end of the previous season theory. 'It woz Pearson wot wun it'!!!

3 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

However your comparison with NP’s bad run of form are largely skewed to favour your argument. For it to be accurate, the fixtures during both bad spells have to be assessed. Furthermore it’s was NP and the majority of that team’s first season in the Premier League - the majority of this current team have had at least a season in the league. NP’s entire squad cost not far off what we paid for Tielemans alone!

The more accurate comparison would be two seasons prior when Pearson took an experienced and reasonably expensively assembled, championship squad from top two at the new year to barely scraping into the playoffs come seasons end!

Edited by Gubbins
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I hate this whole theory that Ranieri was just some wacky foreigner we wheeled out for press conferences and to stand on the touchline at games. It gives the impression that You, Me or anyone else could have got the job stuck our feet up on the managers desk told Shakespeare and the players to get on with it and we'd have probably finished the season as a Champions League manager!

Dont know about me or you but Pearson might have done.

It is no coincidence that our one season as a title challenging team we were led by a man who had been involved in plenty of them throughout his career. He probably didn't change much initially but the change to 442 having completed the previous season with 3 at the back was pretty damn significant, as was putting plenty of faith in Mahrez which Pearson hadn't done. And a few months later hed switched from the more gung ho Great escape approach, changed the full backs and transitioned us into a world class counter attacking team with the meanest defence LCFC has ever had.

But no let's go with the nothing changed from the end of the previous season theory. 'It woz Pearson wot wun it'!!!

The transfers we made prior to his departure (Fuchs, Okazaki and Kante) were clearly indicating a plan to return to 442 anyway. 

The more accurate comparison would be two seasons prior when Pearson took an experienced and reasonably expensively assembled, championship squad from top two at the new year to barely scraping into the playoffs come seasons end!

Why would that be more accurate despite being neither where we started nor where we ended up? Because it suits your narrative?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Ben Foster talking about Nige today between 11.30-12.00. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. 

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1583143200/1583148600/

Excellent insight into Pearson. Pretty much what we all knew but Foster reiterates that Pearson isn't just a  coach, he likes to dominate the club top to bottom, like an old school manager. That's probably why he needs Shakey so much, he does a lot of the coaching. 

9 hours ago, sm1 said:

Excellent insight into Pearson. Pretty much what we all knew but Foster reiterates that Pearson isn't just a  coach, he likes to dominate the club top to bottom, like an old school manager. That's probably why he needs Shakey so much, he does a lot of the coaching. 

The latter part of your comment also makes you think Watford could easily let him go too as generally their management model doesn’t fit the autonomy of an old school manager 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

On 01/03/2020 at 22:49, Ric Flair said:

In all seriousness we are pretty much fcuked as a fan base. Pearson is GOD to us lot and yet he will never win a major trophy in English football, nor will he come back here and be a success again. We don't seem to be able to bond with any other manager, even Rodgers has us right in the mix (albeit in potential free fall) and the knives are already out. 

I still love Pearson, we don't stand a chance. Fold the club, for all our sakes.

just me who really believes nigel will come back, he is 56 and the next 10 years i could very easily see him coming home

think leicester and pearson just works (i think for a lot of us pearson made us fall in love with city again the year we won league one, i do not think it can be overstated how bleak football was for the 4 years before pearson)

Seriously, needs to be in General Football thread.

He is not our manager, yes he was a critical manager at a critical time, for that all are grateful.

The past is the past. 

If you want to get all nostalgic about your youth, get a scrapbook.

2 hours ago, eblair said:

just me who really believes nigel will come back, he is 56 and the next 10 years i could very easily see him coming home

think leicester and pearson just works (i think for a lot of us pearson made us fall in love with city again the year we won league one, i do not think it can be overstated how bleak football was for the 4 years before pearson)

It's not out of the realms of possibility, certainly would seem more likely than it did 3 years ago but it feels like it's just a stupid dream and are we that bizarre that we can't move on from him?

This is repeating what a hundred people have already said.... but as bad as Ranieri was in 2016/17, he was an utter genius in 2015/16. The tactics in the second half of the season and the way he handled the pressure. I don't think he will go down as a great manager but what he did here for one season was a miracle and it's crazy he is almost underappreciated by Leicester fans. 

• Like 2

On 02/03/2020 at 00:16, Stadt said:

Winning the league ruined us. Even before our form was really shit I said that this season hasn't been particularly enjoyable and we're third ffs!

I don't actually agree with this to be honest, people say it all the time but I don't find it applies for me personally. 

I enjoy it when we're decent, I don't when we're crap, regardless of where we sit in the table or how good the season as a whole has been. 

This season was fantastic to begin with but I've hated it since December. That's not because we once won the league and I somehow can't hack being third, it's just because the football has been absolutely garbage entertainment since the first Norwich match. 

On 02/03/2020 at 00:16, Stadt said:

Winning the league ruined us. Even before our form was really shit I said that this season hasn't been particularly enjoyable and we're third ffs!

won't be properly enjoyable until we're back in either the champions league or the championship. either on holiday somewhere ignoring the fact we are going to get battered by someone good, or go back to being so shit it makes everyone angry. they were the fun days, where every fan hated every other fan, every fan hated every player, every player hated the fans and the manager didn't stand a fu cking chance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 03/03/2020 at 11:50, ScouseFox said:

won't be properly enjoyable until we're back in either the champions league or the championship. either on holiday somewhere ignoring the fact we are going to get battered by someone good, or go back to being so shit it makes everyone angry. they were the fun days, where every fan hated every other fan, every fan hated every player, every player hated the fans and the manager didn't stand a fu cking chance. 

:ph34r:

Nigel taught so much about how to build a successful team and how to be a great human. Respect EVERYONE in the organisation, see the best in everyone and give people the opportunity to be themselves. Happy players make happy team.