Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most of our bench would get into teams we were struggling against. It wasn’t just a slight drop off, we went off a cliff and that’s not just down to quality. We’ve enough quality around for a comfortable midtable finish at a minimum, it’s proven. So there has to be more to it than that as to why we couldn’t turn the form around.

Whether that’s the manager, inexperience, potential transfers on peoples minds.

It’s likely to be a combination of factors. I don’t think you can just say it was x or y.

I think you're right, I think there was an inexperience, and a malaise. Conspiracy theory I know, I think you add the January transfer window into the factor, some heads were turned. A distractions that no doubt unsettles a team. Contract discussions for a couple of key players. and a couple of others with question marks over any offers. Throw that into the mix of all the other external turmoil, we've been affected. We'll settle down again.

There's still quality from our bench, but it's limited, when we have all our players back from injury, and if we pull off another couple of transfers in the next couple of of weeks, then we've hopefully addressed the squad issues, and our players will acclimatise to a season behind closed doors. It's a not been a great pre-season, but given the number of goals pouring in in the fixtures that have already happened, if you've got a decent strong attack, there's goals to be had until all teams get match fit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Whilst I agree with you in general I think it was clear last season that we fell apart slightly and I do feel an older head would have helped. Not just any old player but one who has been there and done it at the sharp end. I love the fact we have a young squad and I think last year’s collapse will make them stronger but an old head to calm things down in the centre may have helped in some of those tighter games towards the end. X

It worries me how often I agree with you, Rumble :mellow:. Our experience for on-field decision-making and inspiring the troops is at the 2 ends of the pitch - Vardy and Kaspar, and arguably Evans. We need an old head to bring on in the midfield. Someone like Milner would be brilliant (I mean of his type, not him personally; he is maybe getting just that bit too old now and prospect of a transfer in would be unlikely).

• Haha 1

Perhaps it was lack of character rather than inexperience.  That plus injuries of course, formation changes, lack of belief when results went against us and I felt a sudden erring toward caution, not least with the manager's approach, when we had the quality to be more aggressive.  Bournemouth was a case in point.  Having toyed with them first half they came at us second half because they had to.  We could have matched up to them or we could have retreated.  We made a defensive substitution to protect what we had and invited a dreadful Bournemouth team to dictate and attack us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Most of our bench would get into teams we were struggling against. It wasn’t just a slight drop off, we went off a cliff and that’s not just down to quality. We’ve enough quality around for a comfortable midtable finish at a minimum, it’s proven. So there has to be more to it than that as to why we couldn’t turn the form around.

It’s likely to be a combination of factors. I don’t think you can just say it was x or y.

It was Y.

:yesyes:

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I can. Twas an ancient gypsie curse, which Rudders exorcised, after an intensive dmu course in ethereal magic, involving a trek to see the spokesman of the football gods, a man who calls himself Bernie, and at the dead of midnight a deal was made, and as part of the deal Ben Chilwell to Chelsea, and a cloaked Belgian at the gates of Filbert Way.

Depends on the rest of the Saint-Etienne line up, if he is the only change then it is very strange to drop probably your best player, especially when they don't really have any depth at all for centre backs

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Leicester have made an enquiry over Jonathan Tah being available on a loan from Bayer Leverkusen. 

Tah, 24, is an option for Brendan Rodgers as a deal for his first-choice centre-back target, St Etienne’s Wesley Fofana, has not been easy to complete. 

Centre-back is Rodgers’ main area he wants to bolster before the end of the window, with Tah being considered but the clubs discussing whether an initial loan or a permanent deal could be thrashed out. 

Telegraph