Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

Just now, Finnegan said:

Yeah absolutely but if they won't even take 30 we shouldn't be bothering. 

Whatever we pay for a centre back, we've got what's left to try and buy a winger as well. If we don't want another Ghezzal situation then we need to be conservative with buying a CB, especially given the CB will be back up and the winger should really be a starter. 

Agreed. Also, let’s not forget, we shouldn’t be paying mega bucks for a centre back who is essentially going to be third choice. Evans and Soyuncu are a quality, proven partnership with a Season left in them as starters. We need someone to push them, and I can’t see us paying £40m-50m for that player, £25m absolute tops imo

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

lol at 50? 

I like our recruitment policy, I honestly do, I'm not triggered by the idea of being a "selling club." I'm realistic about our financial power, so I find it pretty cool that our recruitment is consistently strong enough that we can consistently make profit off players and reinvest well. 

But there's two parts to this, sell high is part 2, part 1 is buy low. If we blow our load on players and pay over the odds ourselves then how are we going to make profit? 

You can't just "pay anything" because they have "great potential!" or you end up defeating the point. Cags was a hidden gem, Kante was a hidden gem, Ndidi was a hidden gem.

If a young French centre back has already got a high enough profile that his club won't even sniff at 30m then he's not a hidden gem. If we up it to 40, who is going to end up paying us so much in a few years that it becomes profitable? The most expensive centre backs in the world go for about 50ish. You're banking on an insane level of inflation over the next few years in a post covid world. 

Ain't gonna happen. 

The £50m is definitely bunkum. Even in the ASSE thread most posters says that a) we wouldn't pay that and b) the sources are completely unreliable. If we do get this kid it will likely be for €30m (£27m) or slightly higher. There's no chance we're going to smash our transfer record by that much especially in a post covid world. 

I do think that UK TV money has inflated the standard amount for certain players in a certain bracket. Cags was indeed a hidden gem at £19m and he has definitely paid off, especially if he signs a new contract. Fofana is young and just as promising as Cags was, with a slightly higher profile perhaps, so £27m seems to me about right.

As @Pliskin said, Fofana and Cags could become the most sought after CBs in Europe. And we would stand to make a huge profit on them both.

• Like 2

If we're anywhere near £30m then a fair amount of it must be add-ons. Not seen any interest from other sides, and if he was worth that you'd think some of the top clubs might be showing an interest.

That said, Championship players are going for £30m these days so who knows what value is.

Edited by RowlattsFox

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah absolutely but if they won't even take 30 we shouldn't be bothering. 

Whatever we pay for a centre back, we've got what's left to try and buy a winger as well. If we don't want another Ghezzal situation then we need to be conservative with buying a CB, especially given the CB will be back up and the winger should really be a starter. 

I agree. I'm sure if we set ourselves the task of buying a young, 3rd choice CB for no more than £20m, we'd probably find someone good.

I'm sure Fofana will be a top player and I'd love to see us sign him, but if he's slightly out of reach for us right now, then we have to move on to the next target. There might even be someone who's both better and cheaper.

13 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Save reading the last 50 posts - any news? Has super French Agent Antoine Son Perrier been brought in by Rudders to  speed things along? 

There was a reported madness, but it turned out to be just a nothingness.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Im starting to think this might get done. The idea that its a 'crazy' bid suits the narrative in France- it'll never be 50m. A bit like perez was never 30m, and tielemans was never 40m. For once I agree with @Ric Flair

I imagine that the structure of the fee is the sticking point. We probably don't want to pay any more than £20m up front but with potential add-ons taking the fee up towards £30m. This would be understandable given that he has played less than 30 senior games. SE are probably holding out for more of the fee up front.

2 hours ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

if we've paid a penny over 30 million, its bad business. 19 year old unproven CB. Very risky

How? What if he turns out to be an absolute star and ends up being sold for double, or more? Is that bad business? 

The 'unproven' tag is a load of crap as well. So many players come to the Premier League as unproven and end up being established players with good reputations/status in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

29,999,999.99 = Good business?

30,000,000.01 = Bad business?

Fine margins. :ph34r:

:D

Reminds me of when Arsenal bid £40,000,001 for Luis Suarez from Liverpool... it’s clearly bad business to go a very tiny amount over the line ;) 

Edited by FoxesWalk

The situation has always been that some transfers pay off and some don’t. The only difference now is the gamble is greater as the amounts are larger.

The best that you can hope for is that the ones that work more than offset the flops: Maguire for example. Also Soyuncu’s value will have rocketed. Of course we have to balance this against losses associated with Silva and Slimani amongst others. 

£30m sounds too high, but you’d like to think he’d have some re-sale value, given his age, even if he doesn’t hit the heights that we hope he will. You’d actually think a fee closer to £20m with add-ons would be the fairest for all parties.

• Like 1