Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

Which metrics have we been 20th? 
points gained? Goals scored? Goals conceded? Big chances created? 
No, No, No, No, No

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We are 8th for goals scored

And 7th for goals conceded (joint with Liverpool)

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

Our 2020 wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be. 

5 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats.

It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

It was bloody awful.

42pts from 20 games and then 20 points from 18 games.  Champions League form to relegation form.  We were twice as good in 2019 than we were in 2020.  It was pathetic and a disgrace because they have shown us they are much better than that.  ,And with so much at stake!  We just had to limp home and couldn't even manage that with 4 points from our last 5 games.

Edited by murphy

Just now, murphy said:

It was bloody awful.

42pts from 20 games and then 20 points from 18 games.  Champions League form to relegation form.

He was right in that 'relegation form' IS an over-exaggeration, which isn't needed or warranted.  Even 10-10-18 would have kept us up, if you merely want to double the 2020 record at worst.  Yes, it sucked, (with numerous reasons causing it), but it goes to show how bad you really have to be to get relegated, when at our worst we still weren't quite THAT bad :P

Yes, we need more depth, but what matters now is how, when and where are we getting it from? :dunno:

13 minutes ago, murphy said:

It was bloody awful.

42pts from 20 games and then 20 points from 18 games.  Champions League form to relegation form.  We were twice as good in 2019 than we were in 2020.  It was pathetic and a disgrace because they have shown us they are much better than that.  ,And with so much at stake!  We just had to limp home and couldn't even manage that with 4 points from our last 5 games.

It wasn’t pretty, but if we stick to the facts, it wasn’t relegation form and that’s all I am doing here.

The poster I was quoting said we were 20th by pretty much every metric, in fact we weren’t even close to 20th in any.

Many, yourself included have said it was relegation form, we were 13th over 2020.

We were bad, and I agree didn’t live up to the high expectations we set earlier in the year. We were though, no where near as bad as some are making out. 
The fact that even with this poor from for half the season, we still went into the last game knowing a win would have given us 4 th, is why I have so much optimism for the season ahead. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

He was right in that 'relegation form' IS an over-exaggeration, which isn't needed or warranted.  Even 10-10-18 would have kept us up, if you merely want to double the 2020 record at worst.  Yes, it sucked, (with numerous reasons causing it), but it goes to show how bad you really have to be to get relegated, when at our worst we still weren't quite THAT bad :P

Yes, we need more depth, but what matters now is how, when and where are we getting it from? :dunno:

20 points from 18 games extrapolates to 42 points over a season.  Teams have been relegated with 42 points before (West Ham 03).  Palace got relegated with 49 points,

Whether it was relegation form or only 'close' to relegation form, we had the biggest form turnaround or crash by a mile.  It was a humiliation for a team with that had been cruising in the top three and then fell (jumped?) off a cliff and surrendered a 14 point lead.  No one can tell me 'it wasn't that bad'!

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

20 points from 18 games extrapolates to 42 points over a season.  Teams have been relegated with 42 points before (West Ham 03).  Palace got relegated with 49 points,

Whether it was relegation form or only 'close' to relegation form, we had the biggest form turnaround or crash by a mile.  It was a humiliation for a team with that had been cruising in the top three and then fell (jumped?) off a cliff and surrendered a 14 point lead.  No one can tell me 'it wasn't that bad'!

I like the use of the Palace stat.....the division had 22 teams in it then.....

1 hour ago, murphy said:

O come on..

It wasn't that bad!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I like the use of the Palace stat.....the division had 22 teams in it then.....

You're right, but, it works out as 44 points over a 38 game season, so still comfortably the record for a relegated PL club, beating West Ham's 42 and better than our 2020 form which was really the point I was making. 

Edited by murphy

The end to last season was really bad. But United went through a spell similar to ours at the start of last season - they had 21 points after 15 games and no one really talks about them being inconsistent. 

The facts are that no team in this league bar Liverpool and Man City were consistent or have been over the last 3 seasons. Every other club has gone through patches of good or bad form and it will likely be the same this season. Our bad patch was too long and a real fall from grace but we still ended up having it in our own hands come the final game of the season. 

I'm not too concerned about it carrying over as I believe we have a top quality squad here and that in itself should balance us to a decent position over the course of the season. Think we all thought we'd get champions league last season, so it's caused a chain reaction amongst us that there could be an almighty dip that could see us get relegated. 

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

No, No, No, No, No

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

Get away with you with your facts, balance and reason. There’s no place for the those things here. X 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Pretty funny from PaddyPower. Especially Curbs with his jeans dig. 

Paddy Power are brilliant at times. I watched Soccer Saturday briefly yesterday and the new guys are there are awful, Tim Sherwood has the same personality as a plank of wood! 

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't care how annoying some of their fans are, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of watching Leeds this year. They were amazing to watch against Liverpool. When Cooper is back and Koch adjusts to their system as well, they should also improve defensively.

Harrison's goal was just pure sex.

Forward playing, attacking, expansive football? Exciting to watch? I'm not sure about that,

They'll have to be far more passive to gain any plaudits of their play in this age of modern football.

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't care how annoying some of their fans are, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of watching Leeds this year. They were amazing to watch against Liverpool. When Cooper is back and Koch adjusts to their system as well, they should also improve defensively.

Harrison's goal was just pure sex.

Pretty sure I remember the same thing being said about Norwich at the start of last season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Paddy Power are brilliant at times. I watched Soccer Saturday briefly yesterday and the new guys are there are awful, Tim Sherwood has the same personality as a plank of wood! 

Paddy Power understands its audience far more than tv producers do now

they always do good adverts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Pretty sure I remember the same thing being said about Norwich at the start of last season 

Yep. Everyone was creaming when they beat Man City in September. Let's see how they're still doing 28 games onwards. They might have burnt out, they might actually just end up being crap.

They deserve the credit for the performance yesterday, but the natural overreaction that they'll be like that for every minute of every game, thus being insatiable to watch is quite the leap.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

From January onwards, we have been 20th in pretty much every metric. With absolutely nothing to freshen that up, I dont see what will change.

Just a few months back, we lost 4-1, yes 4-1! to ****ing Bournemouth, Solanke scored not 1 but 2 goals! 

We have been mediocre at best for the whole of 2020. People can pull faces all they like, but it's a cast iron fact.

I hope it changes.

We've been 20th in pretty much no metrics.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

No, No, No, No, No

Is that fair on @Foxin_Mad?  You have used facts to destroy a rudderless rant.  If we all used facts, threads on here would be very short.

Well put.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

No, No, No, No, No

Well put :appl:

The mire we found ourselves in was quite bad but I think it's accentuated by the fact we know we could play better! It was bad to watch because we expected better with the players we had. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shailen said:

The end to last season was really bad. But United went through a spell similar to ours at the start of last season - they had 21 points after 15 games and no one really talks about them being inconsistent. 

The facts are that no team in this league bar Liverpool and Man City were consistent or have been over the last 3 seasons. Every other club has gone through patches of good or bad form and it will likely be the same this season. Our bad patch was too long and a real fall from grace but we still ended up having it in our own hands come the final game of the season. 

I'm not too concerned about it carrying over as I believe we have a top quality squad here and that in itself should balance us to a decent position over the course of the season. Think we all thought we'd get champions league last season, so it's caused a chain reaction amongst us that there could be an almighty dip that could see us get relegated. 

It really is important that the squad shake off the awful second half of last season and get close to the start of last season. Something in between would be very acceptable.

However, we must be wary that other teams are doing their homework and recruiting and improving. For me, the Top 4 this year is a closed shop. Then it's for Arsenal, Tottenham, Wolves, us, Everton, maybe Southampton (surprise result for me yesterday), Newcastle at a push to scrap for 5th and 6th. Not sure if anyone else could challenge and spring another surprise like Sheff Utd last year.

Beyond the Top 4 it could be a very interesting season.

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

No, No, No, No, No

Ok maybe a slight exaggeration but I watch us every game, we were ****ing tragic for most of 2020. We scraped wins against Birmingham and Wigan FFS!

We were saved from by 20th in every metric by a small group of teams being even shitter than us! Norwich, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Villa and Palace were tragic towards the end of last season. We failed to beat 3 of those teams in our run in and got absolutely spanked by one! Norwich were one of the most inept teams I have ever seen in the Premier League yet we could not beat them.

I honestly hope we improve but I am not sure that a right back is going to bring that extra inspiration on how to play a forward pass, or deliver a half decent final ball to our striker who got the majority of his 24 goals before Christmas. If Vardy and on occasion Nacho aint scoring, then we aint scoring our midfield had an absolutely woeful goal tally, as did most of our defence.

Edited by Foxin_Mad