Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

4 hours ago, Manini said:

You’ve got clubs like Bury who have ceased to exist, Wigan who have basically been used as capital to fund a bet, Coventry who can’t even play in their own stadium and this bum nugget is going on like this? “The clubs dead” - they’ve just comfortably survived, they’ve broken transfer records and they’re getting set to play another season in the top flight of English football. Genuinely baffles me. 

The club's infrastructure is in a complete state though, doesnt matter if they buy joelintons and st maximims if the rest of the club is falling behind the other clubs in the league. If you have the mindset of 'oh at least theyre not as bad as bury' then apply it to your own life then you cant be sad because some bloke out there has had his whole family die, or you cant be happy cos there's a billionare living on a private island with loads of women to keep him company. The reality is that if newcastle continue like this theyre going to go down and with a lack of investment in facilities/academy there's going to be a point where they struggle to go back up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

The club's infrastructure is in a complete state though, doesnt matter if they buy joelintons and st maximims if the rest of the club is falling behind the other clubs in the league. If you have the mindset of 'oh at least theyre not as bad as bury' then apply it to your own life then you cant be sad because some bloke out there has had his whole family die, or you cant be happy cos there's a billionare living on a private island with loads of women to keep him company. The reality is that if newcastle continue like this theyre going to go down and with a lack of investment in facilities/academy there's going to be a point where they struggle to go back up.

I think you’ve missed my point. I have an issue with freaks like that bloke saying the club is dead when they’re still very much competing at the top level. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Mike Ashley is a complete and utter turd of a bloke and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my own club but I can’t stand the melodramatic bullshit of their fans going on like they’re on their last legs when they’re quite clearly competitive in both staying in the premier league and in the transfer market. 

12 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think you’ve missed my point. I have an issue with freaks like that bloke saying the club is dead when they’re still very much competing at the top level. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Mike Ashley is a complete and utter turd of a bloke and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my own club but I can’t stand the melodramatic bullshit of their fans going on like they’re on their last legs when they’re quite clearly competitive in both staying in the premier league and in the transfer market. 

Oh fair, didnt actually watch the video. Obviously their club isnt dead that's a bit far but i do think theyre going to be struggling a lot more going forwards than they have this year.

Glad the takeover failed. The last thing we need is another club chasing top 4/6. We dont need more competitions for those top 4/6 places. Newcastle can stay 13th-17th. 

• Like 1

The club size one is such a ****ing pointless debate because the criteria changes to suit who you support. All I know is all these supposed bigger clubs haven't won anything since the invention of colour telly and jump straight to the attendance figures to gloss over a lack of any discernable recent success.

In my lifetime (born in 1990) I can't think of many more successful clubs outside the "big 5" (not having Spurs) in terms of silverware tbh, and two of those are lottery winners in Chelsea and Man City.

• Like 2

On 30/07/2020 at 20:32, Sunbury Fox said:

One played in an attacking team that was in the top 4 for 95% of the season. The other played in a defensive, struggling team that generally had around 35% possession. Not really a fair comparison. Football is also about entertainment and Saint Maximin is just so much fun to watch. Also stats are not everything. Matt Doherty had more goal involvements than Ricardo last season - are you saying you'd rather have him in our team on that basis?

Both have played for pretty much the same side a year apart and one got 13 goals and 1 assist whilst the other got 3 goals and 4 assists.

Its not even close between Maximin and Perez. You just need to watch the two of them to see Saint maximin would be a much better player us. He has the ability to make something out of nothing which we have been crying out for a lot in the past 6 months.

Look at the stats of their results when he plays compared to when he doesn't.

I'd rather have maxi than perez any day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

If people are adamant the door should have been shut on the Saudis, shouldn't we also be fvcking off Abu Dhabi United Group and even Abramovich? Just feels like double standards and pulling the ladder up to me.

You can’t compare Abu Dhabi to Saudi. It’s just not a fair comparison at all. Saudis record on human rights and equality are among the very worst on the planet when the same isn’t true for Abu Dhabi or even the UAE as a whole. It’s like saying why can’t Assad buy Marseille as Qatar owns PSG. Its not the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you have to tell people your club is "big", construct an argument, give reasons or explain / justify then your club isn't a big club. 

Barcelona or Bayern Munich fans don't have to tell people they're massive, we all know. 

Villa, Forest, Newcastle, Leeds, Sunderland, they're just average football clubs whose fans have a slightly above average inferiority complex. 

That might be true but these clubs have become 'big' in the media due to various, often very brief one-off, seasons/matches/incidents which cements their place (see Stokoe in '73 FA Cup). This filters down creating acceptance by a large proportion of fans. 

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

You can’t compare Abu Dhabi to Saudi. It’s just not a fair comparison at all. Saudis record on human rights and equality are among the very worst on the planet when the same isn’t true for Abu Dhabi or even the UAE as a whole. It’s like saying why can’t Assad buy Marseille as Qatar owns PSG. Its not the same.

I mean, in an ideal world none of them would own football clubs. The UAE doesn't have a great human rights record, the practices of practical slavery that's building the Qatar world cup built all the glitzy cities in the Emirates. 

They don't have freedom of speech, freedom of press, equal rights for women, they have stoning and flogging as punishments, it's shocking. Makes me cringe whenever British tourists like to brag they've been and see the place as glamorous. 

But you're still not wrong, Saudi is several degrees of utterly evil worse. Honestly one of the worst regimes on the planet. 

• Like 4

I feel for the Newcastle fans - They’re a big club with a huge catchment area for proper support and they’ve suffered long enough. For me  they could make a  challenge to the so called ‘Top 6’ with good leadership and a real injection of cash.

Amazing that we’re now a more established premiership side than the likes of Newcastle, Villa and Leeds who are all much bigger than us  historically.

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, in an ideal world none of them would own football clubs. The UAE doesn't have a great human rights record, the practices of practical slavery that's building the Qatar world cup built all the glitzy cities in the Emirates. 

They don't have freedom of speech, freedom of press, equal rights for women, they have stoning and flogging as punishments, it's shocking. Makes me cringe whenever British tourists like to brag they've been and see the place as glamorous. 

But you're still not wrong, Saudi is several degrees of utterly evil worse. Honestly one of the worst regimes on the planet. 

Exactly it’s a scale and although it isn’t great having Qatar and Abu Dhabi owning clubs I’m glad that hasn’t been used as justification for allowing Saudi to do so. 

Idk I find it hard to take such a profound moral objection now that most dodgy countries run the most powerful clubs in the world football, drawing the line at saudi just seems like too much of a pat on the back when it seems it more about the privacy issue than their human rights record. They'll have a club pretty soon no doubt, but probably in France or Italy

10 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think it's a sad state of affairs where people are actively wanting dodgy foreign owners who use clubs to sport swash their respective countries.

Kind of agree, but aren't we at LCFC guilty of that by proxy. Our owners cosy up to a pretty questionable regime. 

Not my view necessarily, just playing devils advocate. 

1 minute ago, martyn said:

Kind of agree, but aren't we at LCFC guilty of that by proxy. Our owners cosy up to a pretty questionable regime. 

I definitely think there's a difference between being owned by a Billionaire FROM a country and being owned by that country. 

Vichai made his wealth in an unstable country where, to be successful, you have to either pal up with the royal family or the military and hope your side has control. 

I think he did enough in his time here to show his ethics and morals were fairly sound, even though I doubt many of us are naive enough to think he became a billionaire without stepping on anyone. 

But selling a club to the absolute monarch of a regime that rules with one of the harshest and most bigoted legal systems in the world and then still trying to claim the Premier League is a league "for all" would be ugly in the extreme. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

Yeah I'd agree with that, there rise was certainly dodgy but I think it's more down to political favours than having genuine blood on their hands. It's a grey area which has never been defined which is why you have modern slave owners at the top of the tree, something which I'm sure (not 100% sure) theyve not been accused of. But our owners are a good case in why it works so well for these countries, even if vichai was some sort of mass murderer hed be remembered fondly in the west as this man who helped facilitate a 5000/1 dream.