Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

5 minutes ago, KFS said:

CAS have absolutely fvcked this. No way ‘Thailand Smiles with You’ is legit either. 

Wouldn't be shocked if we see an influx of sponsors similar to this and ours. Not surprised either of these turn out to be a backhanded sponsorship method 

That’s nice. They won’t be any good if they keep their patch work quilt defence and midfield though. Man Utd are like that hand written horse meme. Great up front but absolute shite at the back. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Can I ask, and I do this with all sincerity, when were referring standards in this country high? When was the peak era?

All my football-watching life all I've ever seen, heard, read is people scathing about any referee. Even the peak ones from each era (Ellary, Webb, Clattenburg, Poll) ask a set of people and there will be (usually tribal, admittedly) people laying into them for being crap. And these were the supposed "best."

Is there actually a period when our referees were good? When people looked at who the ref was and people said "ah this will be reffed fairly" rather than "well we've lost this one he hates us/is shit/is weak."

There's a massive argument about how football tribalism, especially online, is skewing this perception, there's the conversation about how VAR could cause a knock-on lowering in quality with an over reliance. Genuinely, though, would like to know when people think we had "high refereeing standards."

Personally I think around the mid 90s they were not that bad.

It has got far worse in the last 15 years, to the point we had no refs at the  2018 world cup.

Edited by twister

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Chelsea are splashing £200m on players and United are doing the same. We are supposed to  compete with these for top 4? 

Rodgers alludes to this and gets absolute hounded for it lol

10 hours ago, KFS said:

That’s nice. They won’t be any good if they keep their patch work quilt defence and midfield though. Man Utd are like that hand written horse meme. Great up front but absolute shite at the back. 

The defence which was the third or fourth best in the league last season ??

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

It will be super hard to finish top 4. This was our big chance and we ****ed it up. Unless we make 2 or 3 really smart shrewd signings I don't see us near top 4 next season. 5th and 6th perhaps.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Because it's completely the wrong thing to say as a manager of a team trying to break into the top 4? Imagine how demoralising that is for a Leicester player hearing your manager say he doesn't think you're good enough to compete.

2 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Because it's completely the wrong thing to say as a manager of a team trying to break into the top 4? Imagine how demoralising that is for a Leicester player hearing your manager say he doesn't think you're good enough to compete.

All about saying the right things in the press and probably different things to the players - it’s called man management. Raineri always talked about just getting 40 points on the board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, matty98 said:

He didn't say we're not good enough to compete. He said we don't have the resources like other clubs do. 

There's a difference there. 

(and yes, I would like him to be more ambitious but we have fvck all idea what he says to the players). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Koke said:

Chelsea are splashing £200m on players and United are doing the same. We are supposed to  compete with these for top 4? 

United spent 80m on a centre back last year and still only got top four because of an international pandemic. 

They're still shit, Sancho or not. 

He's an upgrade on James, sure and he'll make a dangerous front three with Rashford and Martial (until the fans come back to stadiums and Martial starts bottling it again) but so what? 

It's still classic United, spend 100m on a flashy high profile signing when there's glaring weaknesses in the squad. 

Their defence is appalling, they have one good midfielder, no decent defensive midfield and the manager hasn't suddenly become competent overnight. 

They'll be there for the taking just as much as they were this season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

South Korea v Italy in the last 16 of the 2002 World Cup was the most blatantly fixed match I have ever seen. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Atletico at home 1997 was the most blatantly fixed match I have ever seen. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

United spent 80m on a centre back last year and still only got top four because of an international pandemic. 

He's an upgrade on James, sure and he'll make a dangerous front three with Rashford and Martial (until the fans come back to stadiums and Martial starts bottling it again) but so what? 

It's still classic United, spend 100m on a flashy high profile signing when there's glaring weaknesses in the squad. 

Their defence is appalling, they have one good midfielder, no decent defensive midfield and the manager hasn't suddenly become competent overnight. 

They only conceded 36 goals this season, that's 1 more than Man City and 3 more than Liverpool. They had the 3rd best defensive record in the league. They scored the 5th highest amount of goals in the league (and about 15 of those were penalties), so another attacking option was probably needed.

They could do with another keeper if I'm honest, but that'll never happen with De Gea on 400k a week.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

49 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I know that one was bad, but I didn't see that. Wasn't really into football at that time.

Lucky you! I’m still seething about it... there’s a decent vid (although quality isn’t amazing) on YouTube if you search well enough and experience the anger yourself

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The pandemic had little to do with it. 

They got top 4 because Fernandes came in and galvanised the team. Since his signing they are top of the form table.

IMG_20200804_083302.jpg