Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think the issue this time was that some teams had two competitive matches and a friendly- some like both Irelands and Scotland had three competitive games including the play-off.

And even though some of those players played 3 games, some of them will come back absolutely flying. Guys like Lyndon Dykes and Scott Mctominay. (Speaking about Scotland in particular)

England should just get interim managers for qualifying (which is skewed to a point it's almost impossible for us to not qualify) then give someone like Mourinho a bumper tournament deal.

International tournaments by and large are about tactics and organisation. Someone like Mourinho or even Rafa Benitez would give England a chance to overperform.

I feel like in Russia, we did better than expected in terms of how far we progressed, but in terms of how we performed and the opposition we had we were average. We beat a Colombia side missing their best player, and Sweden. I'd be disappointed if we didn't beat that, even if historically we probably would bottle it.

I feel like Southgate did improve things somewhat, more than I thought he would in fairness, but now we've just reverted back to the usual garbage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Right now its probably Keane and Coady, but you're right, we're not blessed in that position. Maguire and Gomez seem to have gone right off the boil. Mings would be 3rd choice at the minute. The likes of Lascelles, Tarkowski and Dunk need looking at when fit. I'd go with this, first choice when fit on the left.

Pope/Henderson/Ramsdale

TAA/James/Walker/Trippier/AWB

Keane/Gomez

Coady/Mings

Chilwell/Saka

Phillips/Rice

Henderson/Winks/Maddison/JWP/AOC

Foden/Maddison/Grealish/Mount (can't really decide who would be first choice here between Foden and Maddison)

Sancho//Sterling/Rashford

Kane/DCL/Ings

Rashford/Grealiah/Sancho/Barnes

Probably missed a few players out, but I've put that whilst at work.

This is where I think people get Mount a bit wrong. I would personally put him a line above where you have, he's a presser. He's a more Wijnaldum-like attacking midfielder rather than an outright creator like Grealish, Maddison or Foden. I think in some games, particularly against teams like Denmark, you could play both Mount & Grealish.

To play Rice, Phillips and Mount in front of a back 5 is the kind of shit I'd expect from someone like Ireland.

• Like 1

In fairness to Southgate, we did well in the previous Nations League too. Extremely unlucky to lose at home to Spain, then turned them over away. Should've beat Holland and threw it away with silly errors.

Having said that, he is getting a free ride from the media based on an easy World Cup run in which we only played above average once (Sweden). Someone mentioned us having a wealth of talent coming through, but it's being stifled by the likes of Southgate and Boothroyd. Look at what Steve Cooper did for the U17 World Cup winning team and is now doing at Swansea with a bang average squad. Graham Potter a really progressive coach too.

Southgate's track record for the U21s was dogshit, I'm amazed he got the job. Even Stuart Pearce got further than him. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

When you have a lack of world class players, particularly at the back you really need a manager who makes the whole better than the sum of it's parts.  Southgate isn't it.  Eddie Howe would be a better bet at this point!

Tbf Eddie would suit international management. His weakness is the transfer market. 

Issue is his side did concede crazy amounts of goals and tended to roll over to strong teams. He would certainly make us a decent watch though.

9 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Did Barnes get a knock or something? Featured in the squad initially, then not even in the squad. 

He was initially there because of injuries and covid suspensions. Those players are back and he's down the pecking order. He'll need to continue to impress to climb a bit further up the ranks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is where I think people get Mount a bit wrong. I would personally put him a line above where you have, he's a presser. He's a more Wijnaldum-like attacking midfielder rather than an outright creator like Grealish, Maddison or Foden. I think in some games, particularly against teams like Denmark, you could play both Mount & Grealish.

To play Rice, Phillips and Mount in front of a back 5 is the kind of shit I'd expect from someone like Ireland.

Not in some games, in nearly all games I'd expect 2 creative midfielders and only 1 DCM if they are playing bloody 5 at the back as well. Absoloytely moronic to play 3-4-2-1 with 2 DCM's as well and no coincidence we have barely scored a goal since he has done.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not in some games, in nearly all games I'd expect 2 creative midfielders and only 1 DCM if they are playing bloody 5 at the back as well. Absoloytely moronic to play 3-4-2-1 with 2 DCM's as well and no coincidence we have barely scored a goal since he has done.

Yeah would totally agree. It just invites trouble no matter who you play. Southgate is a coward. Every England manager seems to end up doing the same thing.

• Like 1

Fvck all Internationals off until we're the other side of COVID-19. There is a hugely condensed domestic schedule as it is, and now that cases are soaring across Europe again, asking players to travel outside of their club or personal bubbles is irresponsible - even with regular testing.

Even before the global pandemic, International breaks were unbearable. Nobody cares about the Friendly League. England are shit and always will be. Tournaments are meaningless without any supporters. Bin the lot. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He was initially there because of injuries and covid suspensions. Those players are back and he's down the pecking order. He'll need to continue to impress to climb a bit further up the ranks.

I'm lost, was the squad bigger than the normal 23 then when it was announced? 

After that showing last Night & und absolute ridiculous statements from within the squad & the manager...

If proves to me we have lost Another generation of potential forward thinking English profis.

Once they put on that English shirt....they Play 2 Good games, 2 average games & 6 atrocious games...

Nobody dares to Drive forward, Nobody seems to knows how to play Football when it matters...The midfield selection Borders between cowardice & incompetence....

We Run scared....!!! I wish some Journalist would have the guts on interview to  say how it was...

"Well Mr Southgate that was a load of rubbish,have you and your players forgot the idea is to attack the opposition goal, in both halfs...!  Where has the English,fight,guts and spirits gone",

"No Mr Southgate,dont answer it would only dissapoint the fans"

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

Big 6 bias will always influence the England set up, doesnt matter how well you play for your club you will never be picked for the first 11 unless you play for

Liverpool, utd, city, Chelsea, spurs etc.

Erm, didn't know that Coady, Mings, Phillips, Calvert'Lewin, Rice and Pickford played for one of those clubs. It's a bit of a myth and a tired cliché isn't it?
Vardy, Ings, Chilwell, Barnes, Sancho, Grealish, Keane, Ward-Prowse, Pope, Heaton, Maguire etc. have all been called up in recent times playing for other clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Ffs is it almost time for another international break? What a load of shite. Covid is spreading like wildfire at the moment, internationals should have been binned off until next year. I hope our international players get "injured" just before.

this break includes the games for euro 21 qualification.  so evans will not miss that. the Belgium boys will not drop out of a squad because once you drop out of that side you aren't getting back in easily.  little wes wants to push himself up the ladder within the French national set up. madders wont be picked by southgate and Harvey wont be needed next time. cengiz could do with the game time re match fitness - all the others are injured anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like these latest Internationals are going ahead, i really hope the club are pushing back with some players could do with Timmy ( i know injured now but would Belgium look to take him as due to be clear for Liverpool game) & even Praet taking a break from Belgium, would also like Youri to have a rest as i know he'll end up playing 3 games.
Then theres Evans who is nursing an injury now surely the club say no despite him probably wanting to go baring in mind he got injured when last away.
I don't expect Maddison will be picked this time but hope Barnes doesn't either just because again think its pointless travel, he won't get any meaningful game time better he stays here gets 3 days rest then prepares for Liverpool game.
We'll also have Under & Kasper away along with U21s so Thomas, Fofana & Justin...anyone else?