Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ktfox59

Injuries at the club.

On 26/12/2021 at 22:07, CrispinLA in Texas said:

It can't be just bad luck, other clubs haven't got as many injuries as us. 

Brendan seems to like to play players until they drop, thus when they are so tired because of not having a break errors happen. Think some of our players were overloaded with games within a short space of time, mentality exhausted thus prone to injuries, think this might of happened with Justin

This is how I feel.  I have no technical knowledge of fitness, injuries etc but can only observe and be astonished at what we see on the pitch.  

We often see slow starts, players second to the ball, frequent sluggishness etc which gives the impression that our players aren't as well prepared fitness-wise as our opponents.

We see players kept on the pitch after being injured with the result that the damage deteriorates and their recovery takes longer.  I don't buy the excuse that a player will often ask to be kept on the pitch.  We have a large number of professional experts whose job it is to check and to use their expertise to judge the state of a player immediately after an injury.

We see players coming back after recovery from an injury and being injured again immediately.  Some will say that in many cases it's through a particularly bad tackle or landing badly, and therefore bad luck rather than fitness related.  But I wonder whether a player would be less likely to be so badly injured by such mishaps if their fitness made them more resilient to such blows.  By that I mean that, in tip-top condition, a players leg might be that bit stronger, the ligaments etc that bit more flexible etc.  OK, maybe a stretch, but a prime example is Riccardo who has been so susceptible to all of these things, and I wonder whether a game or two in less stressful circumstances such as in the under 23s would be a wise precursor to introduction back into the Prem.

All very much speculation but one thing that can't be denied is that our injury woes appear to have  been significantly worse over the last 2 seasons than any other Prem team, and it isn't getting any better.

• Like 4

I know VAR will be in full effect so let’s see if things even out in our Favor or not. I still feel peeved from the injustice served out to our players in the cup exit. There has to be some payback.if any of our players took out a key Liverpool player with a long term injuring reckless tackle can you just imagine mad kloppers reaction? We’d still be bloody hearing about it now!

The Dave Rennie one keeps coming up as a BR sacking. Which is not the story I heard, from someone who is usually pretty reliable on LCFC news. 
I won’t repeat what I heard on here as one it’s not my story to tell, and I also have no way of verifying it’s accuracy. 
Without going into details of what happened, I wonder if any of the ITKs could confirm this wasn’t Brendan’s decision.

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Who's going to get injured tonight then? Maddison's due one

Kasper - broken foot from kicking goal post - 4th minute
Hamza - broken leg from kicking Morton - 13th minute
Madderz - broken hand from getting it stuck in his hair - 40th minute
Kel - broken ribs tripping over advertising boards celebrating goal - 60th minute
Abrighton - knee from chasing everywhere - 85th minute

Rodgers - broken nose, tripped and hit the mic before interview

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Look, I think the world of Dave Rennie, Unless you really think he’s Jesus Christ or we’ve appointed the water boy as a replacement your are being utterly naive.

Physios help recovery, they aren’t miracle workers and can’t prevent injuries occurring, especially given ours are mostly made up of impact or injuries or reoccurrence of existing problems.

utter nonsense.

The sports scientist, strength & conditioning coaches and bio mechanical staff job is to find weaknesses and work on strengthening them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Kasper - broken foot from kicking goal post - 4th minute
Hamza - broken leg from kicking Morton - 13th minute
Madderz - broken hand from getting it stuck in his hair - 40th minute
Kel - broken ribs tripping over advertising boards celebrating goal - 60th minute
Abrighton - knee from chasing everywhere - 85th minute

Rodgers - broken nose, tripped and hit the mic before interview

Kel scoring even after three players have broken limbs is quite an achievement. 

• Haha 1

I think the concern with Rodgers is his insistence on overplaying players when they are in the red zone and therefore at high risk of injury. 

I wonder how some of the players who have sustained non contact medium to long term injuries as a consequence of being overworked really feel towards Rodgers and whether he really has the best interests of their welfare and career as any priority. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri

I think one giveaway that there is something wrong in the injury assessment dept is the number of times players are injured in the warm up or shortly after the start of matches. What used to be a rarity is now a commonplace - Evans, Bertrand, Ricardo spring to mind. 

Edited by smudgerfox

The best spell under Rodgers came when we were playing once a week. Up until the Norwich game we had a virtually fully fit squad then Christmas came, we lost ndidi and the form started to falter.

Since then we've played virtually twice a week due to Europe and the pandemic and the injuries have piled up and whilst the intensity of our play has slowed initially deliberately its now more due to not being able to. The problem gets worse rather than better too which demonstrates that I don't think he knows how to solve it.

You can point to bad luck like fofanas injury but then you can also point to tielemans and ndidi both playing against millwall despite having knocks and missing up to a month.

A lot of our players have been completely burnt out and ruined by this and as we've seen with Ricardo I don't think we'll see the best of them again.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 1

There are 19 other teams who are all in the same boat. But funnily enough none have injury lists as extensive as ours.

Then who’s to blame? Someone is, since Rodgers came into the club, we’ve been hampered by injury problems. 

One criticism a lot of his clubs had of Brendan has been his training methods, they’re too intense, and when it comes to games the players are spent. It was a trait of his Liverpool team, start fast and then finish games with a whimper, which cost them the title that year.

I don’t like jumping on his back, but who is rest responsible? You can’t be getting this many injuries due to bad luck. 

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

There are 19 other teams who are all in the same boat. But funnily enough none have injury lists as extensive as ours.

Then who’s to blame? Someone is, since Rodgers came into the club, we’ve been hampered by injury problems. 

One criticism a lot of his clubs had of Brendan has been his training methods, they’re too intense, and when it comes to games the players are spent. It was a trait of his Liverpool team, start fast and then finish games with a whimper, which cost them the title that year.

I don’t like jumping on his back, but who is rest responsible? You can’t be getting this many injuries due to bad luck. 

Keep seeing alot of this 'his training is too intense', ironic because we're from intense come matchday.

• Like 1

Just now, Matt said:

Keep seeing alot of this 'his training is too intense', ironic because we're from intense come matchday.

I know, intensity is probably the most absent thing on match days. 

Id love to watch then train for a full week between games and see what happens. We’ve picked up a fair few injuries in training as well haven’t we? 

I just find it hard to believe that we’ve had pure bad luck with injuries, because it’s not an issue just attributed to this season, it’s been ongoing since Brendan arrived. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

There is a logical explanation for this. 

The injuries that we've had means a smaller pool of players to pick from. Given we're one of the few teams playing European football, that means extra games combined with international matches as well. 

We're relying on a smaller pool of players to play more often, which means they're more likely to pick up muscle injuries. For example, it was publicised that Soyuncu was considered high risk for an injury but we had to keep playing him as there were no other centre-halves that could come in for him. 

In other words, the more injuries we have, the more a smaller group of players have to play, which means they're more likely to get injured as they have far bigger workloads. And Covid has further reduced the pool of available players. 

The manager has been able to rotate his midfield and attack more, where we've had less issues. But defensively, we've rarely had more than 5 or 6 players fit, so the problem gets worse in those positions. 

Cause for optimism is we should have most players back over the course of January so he's can use a broader pool of players. 

Way too sensible that.

I prefer Rennie/Seagrave/Rodgers' ineptitude. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Look, I think the world of Dave Rennie, Unless you really think he’s Jesus Christ or we’ve appointed the water boy as a replacement your are being utterly naive.

Physios help recovery, they aren’t miracle workers and can’t prevent injuries occurring, especially given ours are mostly made up of impact or injuries or reoccurrence of existing problems.

utter nonsense.

People have forgotten how the injury list tallied up in Rennie’s last season. The failed attempt to play Chilwell injured as well which saw us having to use Luke Thomas. 

I suspect the catalogue of soft tissue injuries should be held more at the door of sports science etc

39 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

The injuries that we've had means a smaller pool of players to pick from. Given we're one of the few teams playing European football, that means extra games combined with international matches as well. 

We're relying on a smaller pool of players to play more often, which means they're more likely to pick up muscle injuries. For example, it was publicised that Soyuncu was considered high risk for an injury but we had to keep playing him as there were no other centre-halves that could come in for him. 

In other words, the more injuries we have, the more a smaller group of players have to play, which means they're more likely to get injured as they have far bigger workloads. And Covid has further reduced the pool of available players. 

The manager has been able to rotate his midfield and attack more, where we've had less issues. But defensively, we've rarely had more than 5 or 6 players fit, so the problem gets worse in those positions. 

Cause for optimism is we should have most players back over the course of January so he's can use a broader pool of players. 

Said it better than I have tried too

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

:appl:

• Like 1