Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

55 minutes ago, OllieLodge96 said:

Don't get me wrong I know it won't happen but there is always a chance.. I genuinely think JJ was a shoo-in for the next squad and the summer based on his performances

Basically what HighPeak had said below. 100% should have been but there was still plenty of doubt (ridiculously so)

53 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right he probably should have been, but there's a pecking order that isn't entirely meritorious at work...

39 minutes ago, jamesmilner said:

Quite a few slag off the academy . With players on loan and coming into the first team , i think the academy is doing its job . This young lad shows the coaching system and academy progression is working . You can't really take much out of results of academy matches due to players away . The future is bright . 

Just seems odd that the coach of the team most close to the first team on the conveyor belt plays Wimbledon style 1980's football. They obviously don't all coach like that and the future definitely is bright but we are now seeing certain players prosper on loan or in our 1st team that looked nothing special in the U23's.

2 hours ago, jamesmilner said:

Quite a few slag off the academy . With players on loan and coming into the first team , i think the academy is doing its job . This young lad shows the coaching system and academy progression is working . You can't really take much out of results of academy matches due to players away . The future is bright . 

You're right about people slagging the Academy off. 

I put this in a thread the other day. I saw a stat that said we have produced the highest number of academy products playing in the football league currently. Now if that isn't a sign of a good academy then what is? 

Weve also got Barnes, Hamza and Thomas in the first team. 

What do people expect from an Academy?

• Like 3

Just now, Ashley said:

I put this in a thread the other day. I saw a stat that said we have produced the highest number of academy products playing in the football league currently. Now if that isn't a sign of a good academy then what is? 

I don't think people are slagging the Academy off Ash.... it's that middle ground of U23 which in some ways is a club issue and in some ways is an FA issue.

Fact is most of the young successes recently have skipped that middle stage either by going out on loan or in Thomas' case being promoted pretty much straight from U18 to first team.

I think you can rightly slag of the style of play and having the same coach for two decades, whilst also acknowledging we are finding a way of bringing in and nurturing home grown talent. 

With the facilities now though, we need to be looking to have a XI at U23 level that you would happily call upon if needed, and that involves not just attracting and nurturing talent from Leicester, it involves sweeping up the east midlands and encouraging kids and families from all over the world to choose to move to Leicester for their development..... we wont do that whilst our U23 team is playing dark ages football that has no links to our first team identity. 

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 10:57, Ric Flair said:

Just seems odd that the coach of the team most close to the first team on the conveyor belt plays Wimbledon style 1980's football. They obviously don't all coach like that and the future definitely is bright but we are now seeing certain players prosper on loan or in our 1st team that looked nothing special in the U23's.

So people think that Beaglehole coaches 'hoofball' but 'allows' his coaches to teach 'tippy tappy' as such , then when games come round , instructs Wimbledon style 1980's/dark ages football ? OK . And the best players are the ones who bypass the U23's !! And yes people who really have no knowledge of the academy are slagging off the academy . 

On 22/02/2021 at 12:27, Ashley said:

9 hours ago, jamesmilner said:

So people think that Beaglehole coaches 'hoofball' but 'allows' his coaches to teach 'tippy tappy' as such , then when games come round , instructs Wimbledon style 1980's/dark ages football ? OK . And the best players are the ones who bypass the U23's !! And yes people who really have no knowledge of the academy are slagging off the academy . 

Explain the dog shit football they play in the U23's then? The style has never mirrored how we play in the 1st team. It's very direct and I've seldom seen a creative player prosper that much in the U23's, KDH being a fine example. Wasn't ever that special and then goes to Blackpool and now Luton and gets MOTM most weeks. Baffling football.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2021 at 10:38, Lesta2014 said:

He will get quicker as he gets stronger and stops developing physically. 

Sorry you can’t say he will get quicker as I got slaughtered for suggesting that months back 😉. Heaven forbid a 19 year could get quicker or stronger as he ages . Even though Vardy last year at 33 in preseason recorded  his quickest sprint time . 

On 22/02/2021 at 12:27, Ashley said:

Do you have a source for that stat?  

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

I try and find it again mate. But you only have to look at the people we have on loan at the moment and see we're doing well. 

I find that a very surprising stat if true, where do all the players on the books of Utd, Arsenal etc end up?

On 22/02/2021 at 22:27, Ashley said:

I would bet a substantial amount of money on that not being the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Transfer market lists the following (I got bored after page 4 lol, and people would start saying most of them don't play)

Ben Chilwell

Harvey Barnes

Jeff Schlupp 

Hamza Choudhury 

Liam Moore 

Sam Clucas

Luke Thomas

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

Lee Tomlin

Cedric Kipre 

Callum Elder

Elliott Moore

Richard Stearman

Joe Mattock

Joe Dodoo 

Josh Knight

Adam Smith

Cian Bolger

Luke O'Neil 

Tom Hopper

Tom Parkes

Cameron Yates

George Taft

Admiral Muskwe

Thakgalo Leshabela 

13 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I fully admit I haven’t paid attention to the style of football that the academy plays, but I thought that part of the grand plan was to sync all teams and all age groups with the same brand of football? 

That is what should happen.   I 'suspect' (no proof) that due to Rudders relationship with the Academy, BR is reluctant to carry out major surgery on the Academy Coaching Methods.  

Probably needs Top to intervene and ask WTF is going on with the Under 23's?  Given the days of huge Transfers Kitties are possibly on hold,  the Chairman of LCFC may decide its time to over-haul the Academy Structure, in the hope we can develop more excellent players in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I fully admit I haven’t paid attention to the style of football that the academy plays, but I thought that part of the grand plan was to sync all teams and all age groups with the same brand of football? 

There are eight teams or so in the academy. It's easier said than done to get them all to change styles on the entrance of a new manager, I'd imagine. You'd want them to practice a varieties of styles. There's little flowing one-touch football in the u23s, of course. But Barnes, Thomas, Hamza and KDH, Moore, Knight etc are adapting well to their various teams.

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

There are eight teams or so in the academy. It's easier said than done to get them all to change styles on the entrance of a new manager, I'd imagine. You'd want them to practice a varieties of styles. There's little flowing one-touch football in the u23s, of course. But Barnes, Thomas, Hamza and KDH, Moore, Knight etc are adapting well to their various teams.

I honestly do think the modern style of passing football is taught throughout the ages at Leicester, I watched the U18's a fair bit up to the pandemic and the live streamed FA Youth Cup games and we know how to play. The U23's is a different beast, it's been physical and direct football for many years now. Bizarre.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ball-boy-first-team--5272042

From ball boy to first team – Leicester City star in 'shock' at playing so many games
The 19-year-old left-back has started 11 games in the Premier League and Europa League this season, scoring his first senior goal for the club in a 3-3 draw at Braga

ByJordan Blackwell
14:01, 7 APR 2021

Young Leicester City left-back Luke Thomas is aiming to kick on after overcoming the shock of playing so many games.

The Syston-born teenager was thrust into the limelight amid City’s injury problems at the end of last season, and has retained his spot in the first-team squad this year, starting 11 matches across the Premier League and Europa League.

It’s been a sharp rise for Thomas who over the course of 13 years has gone from season-ticket holder to ball boy to academy prospect to first-team star, and he is still coming to terms with the number of opportunities he has been given.

He produced excellent performances in away wins at Leeds and Aston Villa while he scored his first goal for the club in a dramatic 3-3 draw at Braga in the Europa League.

The highlight remains the day of his breakthrough though, his senior debut against Sheffield United at the end of last season.

“It was probably the best moment of my career so far,” Thomas told City’s matchday programme. “When you make your debut there’s no better feeling to be honest.

“At the time I was really nervous but since then I’ve built into the group and played a lot more games than I was expecting to.

“It was a shock to the system at the time but it was really good for me, and thankfully I’ve been able to get more game-time since then.

“The manager likes to give young players a chance and that’s why my opportunity came. He gave me the chance to come up and train and when I showed him the qualities I have, he spoke to me about coming into the team.

“I remember when he told me I was playing the next day; that was a shock! But that’s what he’s like. He always wants to give young players a chance and for every academy player out there, that’s what you want.

“It has been an unbelievable experience so far.

“Considering it’s my first full season with the team, the manager has given me so many opportunities to play.

"All I want to do is play football and get as many games as possible, so it has been brilliant so far.

“Game-time can only be a good thing for my development and I feel like I’m getting better each week.”

Since a defeat to Arsenal in February where Thomas struggled in a battle with Nicolas Pepe, the teenager has been an unused substitute, with Timothy Castagne, Ricardo Pereira, and Marc Albrighton taking on the full-back or wing-back roles.

He’s been working on his game in training, and was able to focus on his development even more over the recent international break, when the lack of games and a smaller training group allowed greater one-to-one time with the coaches.

“We’ve had a small group of about 12 of us so that has been great for me personally, because I’ve been able to work on my game with the coaches,” he said.

“When there are less players to cover, the coaches can spend more time with you individually which obviously means you can take on more information and keep improving. I’ve found it really beneficial.

“There are always things you can improve on, no matter how experienced you are. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses so it’s important you understand them and make improvements where you can.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and Chris (Davies, assistant manager) about what I can improve on.

“With lots of players away on international duty I was able to work on some different things. For instance I feel that my off-the-ball movement can be better, so I’ve worked on that.

“I’ve spent some time working on crossing after training as well, and like I said earlier, with most of the lads away and no games on, there was more time to do that.

“I’ll keep on working hard because I’m always keen to improve in any way I can.”

Nice read, that. Hopefully that performance against Pepe doesn't knock him too much. With Castagne, Ricardo and Albrighton ahead of him it was probably the right decision to just take the heat off him and get him working on his game on the training ground. Next time he's called upon, hopefully it'll be a clean slate for him. He's certainly shown a great deal of promise in other games.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Nice read, that. Hopefully that performance against Pepe doesn't knock him too much. With Castagne, Ricardo and Albrighton ahead of him it was probably the right decision to just take the heat off him and get him working on his game on the training ground. Next time he's called upon, hopefully it'll be a clean slate for him. He's certainly shown a great deal of promise in other games.

I think the going over he got by Pépé will only help him. It will show him what (allegedly) top players can do against him, and where he will need to be to combat them.

Taking him out of the side, and getting him to focus on the training ground side of things for a bit will prove to be a master stroke. High hopes for the boy me.

• Like 2

Comes across well from that interview and others through the season, very grounded.

I've been very impressed with the lad, obviously not the finished article so will not criticise any mistakes, that's how he'll develop, but never looked overawed in the matches.

And random little known fact, Luke is from Syston, in the Borough of Charnwood :ph34r:lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ball-boy-first-team--5272042

From ball boy to first team – Leicester City star in 'shock' at playing so many games
The 19-year-old left-back has started 11 games in the Premier League and Europa League this season, scoring his first senior goal for the club in a 3-3 draw at Braga

ByJordan Blackwell
14:01, 7 APR 2021

Young Leicester City left-back Luke Thomas is aiming to kick on after overcoming the shock of playing so many games.

The Syston-born teenager was thrust into the limelight amid City’s injury problems at the end of last season, and has retained his spot in the first-team squad this year, starting 11 matches across the Premier League and Europa League.

It’s been a sharp rise for Thomas who over the course of 13 years has gone from season-ticket holder to ball boy to academy prospect to first-team star, and he is still coming to terms with the number of opportunities he has been given.

He produced excellent performances in away wins at Leeds and Aston Villa while he scored his first goal for the club in a dramatic 3-3 draw at Braga in the Europa League.

The highlight remains the day of his breakthrough though, his senior debut against Sheffield United at the end of last season.

“It was probably the best moment of my career so far,” Thomas told City’s matchday programme. “When you make your debut there’s no better feeling to be honest.

“At the time I was really nervous but since then I’ve built into the group and played a lot more games than I was expecting to.

“It was a shock to the system at the time but it was really good for me, and thankfully I’ve been able to get more game-time since then.

“The manager likes to give young players a chance and that’s why my opportunity came. He gave me the chance to come up and train and when I showed him the qualities I have, he spoke to me about coming into the team.

“I remember when he told me I was playing the next day; that was a shock! But that’s what he’s like. He always wants to give young players a chance and for every academy player out there, that’s what you want.

“It has been an unbelievable experience so far.

“Considering it’s my first full season with the team, the manager has given me so many opportunities to play.

"All I want to do is play football and get as many games as possible, so it has been brilliant so far.

“Game-time can only be a good thing for my development and I feel like I’m getting better each week.”

Since a defeat to Arsenal in February where Thomas struggled in a battle with Nicolas Pepe, the teenager has been an unused substitute, with Timothy Castagne, Ricardo Pereira, and Marc Albrighton taking on the full-back or wing-back roles.

He’s been working on his game in training, and was able to focus on his development even more over the recent international break, when the lack of games and a smaller training group allowed greater one-to-one time with the coaches.

“We’ve had a small group of about 12 of us so that has been great for me personally, because I’ve been able to work on my game with the coaches,” he said.

“When there are less players to cover, the coaches can spend more time with you individually which obviously means you can take on more information and keep improving. I’ve found it really beneficial.

“There are always things you can improve on, no matter how experienced you are. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses so it’s important you understand them and make improvements where you can.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and Chris (Davies, assistant manager) about what I can improve on.

“With lots of players away on international duty I was able to work on some different things. For instance I feel that my off-the-ball movement can be better, so I’ve worked on that.

“I’ve spent some time working on crossing after training as well, and like I said earlier, with most of the lads away and no games on, there was more time to do that.

“I’ll keep on working hard because I’m always keen to improve in any way I can.”

"For instance i feel like my off the ball movement can be better, so ive worked on that"

Is it just me or is his off the ball movement excellent, especially for his age? I feel like he should be spending extra time on his defensive game such as dealing with long balls rather than improving a part of his game that's already good. I guess the coaches are more qualified to tell him what to improve on so i might be completely wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

"For instance i feel like my off the ball movement can be better, so ive worked on that"

Is it just me or is his off the ball movement excellent, especially for his age? I feel like he should be spending extra time on his defensive game such as dealing with long balls rather than improving a part of his game that's already good. I guess the coaches are more qualified to tell him what to improve on so i might be completely wrong.

His off the ball movement is the thing he has improved no end compared to what we saw in the Spurs and Man Utd games last season where it seemed he didn't quite have the awareness to be in the right place all the while.

Baring in mind there was also the opinion he was better as a wingback because positionally as a full back he might get caught out, he then threw in some quality performances in a back 4 partnering Barnes down the left.

Absolutely love him, not muss fuss about him but he will be quality.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His off the ball movement is the thing he has improved no end compared to what we saw in the Spurs and Man Utd games last season where it seemed he didn't quite have the awareness to be in the right place all the while.

Baring in mind there was also the opinion he was better as a wingback because positionally as a full back he might get caught out, he then threw in some quality performances in a back 4 partnering Barnes down the left.

Absolutely love him, not muss fuss about him but he will be quality.

Castagne's form of late has me wondering how close Thomas is to a recall, I don't think Castagne has had a "good" game on our left yet, never more than solid for me

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Castagne's form of late has me wondering how close Thomas is to a recall, I don't think Castagne has had a "good" game on our left yet, never more than solid for me

Agree about TC. Wonder what the issue is? Worried about his last two injuries? He’s not looked himself at all.