Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 2-0 IKE - Post-Match Thread

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A few of us speculated about this and I think it's proven to be right - Rodgers seemingly will only play the 4141 if Ndidi is fit and available, and I can see why. Mendy has been awesome for us this season, Hamza has some good cameos but the stats don't lie, Ndidi wins a crazy amount of tackles and wins the aerials that allow us to have more creative players in the team. Personally I think he should have tried it with Mendy as well, but I can see why he might think that way.

Great result, but really it was the performance that really impressed today. Yes the opposition were poor, but if we play like that, we will have another very good season, and don't forget that despite all of the doom and gloom we still finished 5th last season.

Great to top the group and looking forward to the draw. I actually hope we get one of the "big guns!" I think we can beat any team in this competition on our day and would love to draw a historically big European team. Failing that, some revenge against Red Star would be very tasty too!

...we go two up, AEK drops off and we struggle to convert for another 70 minutes!!!

Not sure what homework AEK did on us, but they were naive in their approach. We had so much possession but unable to create clear chances to increase our lead.

This was a refreshing change to what we have watched for some time, with the formation and personnel it was an exciting team list, but drilling down into this game we found ourselves with the same problems we continue to struggle with and any team sitting deep, still confuses us.

17 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we go two up, AEK drops off and we struggle to convert for another 70 minutes!!!

Not sure what homework AEK did on us, but they were naive in their approach. We had so much possession but unable to create clear chances to increase our lead.

This was a refreshing change to what we have watched for some time, with the formation and personnel it was an exciting team list, but drilling down into this game we found ourselves with the same problems we continue to struggle with and any team sitting deep, still confuses us.

A certain J Vardy wasn't involved in this game, and he's known for scoring a goal or two.

59 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We need an early goal, and we’ve been like that for a few years

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NaijaFox said:

Or we made them look useless. :ph34r:

Good call. When you dominate a team the question arises as to were they shite or did we make them look like shite ? Leicester were obviously the better team & AEK were very naive as to how they started the game but did manage to react and close things down. My opinion is that very few teams would be able to deal with Barnes & Under when they play like that.

Just watched highlights one BBC news this morning. Spurs first, one goal shown, story about Ali not being happy on the bench all game and interview with Mourhinio about it. Then Arsenal get a slot and Elnenny's goal shown. Apparently we can't of played last night as they didn't show it. Could have sworn Under scored a stunner! Arsenal, where are they in the table?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Just watched highlights one BBC news this morning. Spurs first, one goal shown, story about Ali not being happy on the bench all game and interview with Mourhinio about it. Then Arsenal get a slot and Elnenny's goal shown. Apparently we can't of played last night as they didn't show it. Could have sworn Under scored a stunner! Arsenal, where are they in the table?

I’m afraid you’ll just have to deal with it .... we are only interesting to a v small part of the population 

if we had got a significant result agains a stand out team then we would have got a mention ... or if vards had scored a few ... the editors know that the country isn’t bothered about Lcfc .... apart from vards who has widespread recognition out there ...

• Like 1

How great was it to see us on the front Foot. Regardless of the quality of the opponent, some of the performances out there were very exciting. 

Thomas and Under really stood out for me. There was a moment where Thomas looked like he had lost the ball but falling forward had the sense to back heel the ball to Barnes. I thought that showed great maturity. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I’m afraid you’ll just have to deal with it .... we are only interesting to a v small part of the population 

if we had got a significant result agains a stand out team then we would have got a mention ... or if vards had scored a few ... the editors know that the country isn’t bothered about Lcfc .... apart from vards who has widespread recognition out there ...

Don't worry, dealt with that one many years ago. It's like if we ever drew against or beat Arsenal, it wouldn't be about how well we'd played, more about how bad the opposition 'must' have played 😅😅. Goes with the territory I suppose. Makes those wins or any success all the sweeter though eh?

9 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Rodgers needs to realise that you cannot keep making 7 changes and expect to beat teams that have dropped down from the CL or we will have a quick exit.

You've not answered my question though. Last night's team is arguably stronger than the teams he's been picking in the league. With everyone currently available, the only 2 changes I'd make would be Vardy for Iheanacho and Schmeichel for Ward. Maddison not having as good a season as Praet so rotation between them pair is very likely. So I ask the question again, who out of last nights team shouldn't be first choice?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We missed 3-4 absolute sitters afterwards, that wasn't a case of struggling to create chances.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Bring on the draw on Monday!

I think our potential opponents are as follows (assuming we can't draw Braga as they were in our group and of course avoiding the other seeded teams):

Young Boys

Molde

Slavia Prague

Benfica

Granada

Real Sociedad

Lille

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Antwerp

RZ Pellets WAC

Red Star Belgrade

Dynamo Kiev (from the CL)

Krasnodar (from the CL)

RB Salzburg (from the CL)

Olympiacos (from the CL)

Am I really going to have to be the one who makes a quip about fancying Young Boys?

You disappoint me, @Costock_Fox

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Its called game management. We absolutely controlled it and didnt get out of 3rd gear all night which with all the fixtures coming up was great. Its just what we needed. It was basically an extra long training session. 

Seeing the high press and winning the ball back so high up the pitch was encouraging and seeing Wilf back doing what he does best was encouraging.