Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Everton (H)..pre match thread

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Evans getting suspended throws a spanner in the works, otherwise I am almost certain we would play 4141 with Under, Barnes and Praet all coming into the team in place of Perez, Maddison and Albrighton. Now I imagine that Ndidi plays centre back, because Calvert-Lewin is fantastic in the air, and that means Mendy has to come into midfield. And if we are doing that, then there's an argument to go 3412.

But for me, I think I would go for:

Kasper

Justin  Ndidi   Fofana  Thomas

Mendy  

Under  Praet  Tielemans Barnes

Vardy

Only thing I would say is that Richarlison is their most dangerous player with James injured, so maybe he will play Praet right wing with Maddison inside and bring Under off the bench. That said JJ did a brilliant job on Adama Traore when he came off the bench for Wolves, so it might not be needed, and Under deserves to be getting games to start because he's oozing quality.

Regardless of what we do, I am excited for the game. Rodgers changing the formation during the game to change it up today makes me happy he won't be too stubborn if it's not working.

I Don't think we'll go to a back four, I thought we would switch to that against AEK on thursday, I don't think a back five was needed and we could have done it as easily as yesterday but we didn't.

We expected Brighton to start with a back five but they surprised us having an extra man in midfield, we jusy matched them up and it worked and our midfield then controlled and took the pressure off our defence, Brighton were unable to start any meaningful attacks, but this was reactive rather than taking it to them so I think we'll revert to a back five.

When facing high crosses we've tended to trust Morgan but there are rumours that Calvert-Lewin might be rested.

Either way with our upturn in performaces this should be fascinating.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've seen Brendan Rodgers make more changes to his footballing beliefs this season than in his previous 10+ years as a manager put together:

- Set up a team to concede possession and hit opponents on the break, and ended up winning 5-2 away from home.

- Switched a formation after 15 minutes. (Maybe he's done this before, but not at Leicester).

- Changed set piece routine massively to try something new after weeks of not clearing the first man.

I find it refreshing to see and bodes well for us. Obviously he's made plenty of mistakes too, but we have massively outperformed expectations so far this season in my eyes. 

Why he's suddenly changed I don't know, but I would imagine that the end of season collapse plus Covid might have given him a lot to think about. 

This is spot on analysis.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've seen Brendan Rodgers make more changes to his footballing beliefs this season than in his previous 10+ years as a manager put together:

- Set up a team to concede possession and hit opponents on the break, and ended up winning 5-2 away from home.

- Switched a formation after 15 minutes. (Maybe he's done this before, but not at Leicester).

- Changed set piece routine massively to try something new after weeks of not clearing the first man.

I find it refreshing to see and bodes well for us. Obviously he's made plenty of mistakes too, but we have massively outperformed expectations so far this season in my eyes. 

Why he's suddenly changed I don't know, but I would imagine that the end of season collapse plus Covid might have given him a lot to think about. 

Whilst it is impossible to disagree with any of this, the return of Wilf has been another key factor in my eyes.

• Like 2

Lets face it, with Kasper glued to his line at corners and free kicks we are gonna concede headers and lose this one, no matter whether its a back 4 back 5 or back 6. If he were to come out and punch it occasionally (mebee when its 3 yards out????) then We would stand a very good chance of 3 points and top spot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Isn't Soyunco back training?

I wonder if he'll come in with Fofana?

Justin and Castagne as full backs maybe too?

Ndidi in the middle

Barnes and Under with Madders and Youri in the middle?

Vardy up front?

lol 

• Like 1

I don't envy Brendan having to pick a side for this one. Shame Evans is suspended, but at least he gets rested.

Scrabbling around for centre-halves now. Anyone know how close Soyuncu or Amartey are to a return? Or whether there are plans to recall Knight or Benkovic in Jan?

I expect we'll start with 3 at the back, with Fofana, Ndidi and any one of: JJ, Fuchs or Morgan. Not sure if Big Wes can last a full 90. Would be a good option if Cags is fit enough to be on the bench, but I don't think that's likely just yet, and it could be a waste of a sub. Fuchs should probably be rested, but if JJ plays CB, then Sharky probably has to play wing back, and he could also use a rest after last night. Besides, JJ completely owned the right flank yesterday, and I want to see more of that.

I'd be tempted to play Fofana and Ndidi in a back 4, but I doubt we'll see this, at least to start with.

Good chance we will see Barnes and Under start this one.

We might see Castagne return in this. I'm guessing he'll be on the bench.

I'd like to see:

Kasper

JJ    Fofana    Ndidi   Castagne

Mendy

Tielemans  Maddison

Under                      Barnes

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Morgan, Soyuncu, Thomas, Praet, Perez, Nacho

(I picked 2x CBs so that one can be used to get Ndidi into midfield)

Harsh on Perez, who is currently playing very well, but Barnes and Under are well rested and better out wide.

What I guess it will be:

Kasper

Ndidi   Fofana   Fuchs

JJ       Tielemans    Mendy   Thomas

Maddison     Barnes

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Morgan, Castagne, Hamza, Praet, Under, Perez

If we are going back 3/5, then it would be a good idea to pick a side that can switch to 4 atb without making a sub like we did v Brighton.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t concede. DCL is a big b@stars and a flat track bully. We may struggle there. I’d just go and out score them. Stick with the 4 and go for their throats. They are certainly suspect defensively and they’re to be got at. Plus Pickford... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Whilst it is impossible to disagree with any of this, the return of Wilf has been another key factor in my eyes.

Absolutely. Mendy deserves massive respect and I'd probably rate him as 8/10 for his season so far, but Ndidi is considered the best CDM in the league for a reason. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Ancelotti is clever he will know how to exploit the 5 at the back with Richarlison and Iwobi running in behind. Play 4 at the back.

But Ancelotti is clever, he will know how to exploit the 4 at the back, with Richarlison and Iwobi running in behind. Play 3 at the back. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

But Ancelotti is clever, he will know how to exploit the 4 at the back, with Richarlison and Iwobi running in behind. Play 3 at the back. 

No you see thats the thing the 3 at the back leaves us vulnerable to pace on the wings. I'd rather we played 4 at the back.

Given all my FM experience really unsure how best to lineup for this so heaven knows how Brendan in feeling :ph34r:

I’m hoping that one of Castagne or Söyüncü will be fit enough to start, and would go with a back 4 with 2 out and out wingers. Therefore to cover that want to keep Wilf in the middle of the park as we’ve seen how important it is to have him back there, which means trusting Morgan to roll back the years and put a shift in against DCL’s aerial presence. Would also go with Praet over Madders in the middle of the park to offer a bit more of a physical presence and defensive stability and fresher legs against Allan and Doucoure. If Castagne isn’t fit would bring Thomas back in at LB and shift the ever reliable Justinho to RB where he can cause more carnage.

Either way could go for a couple of different lineups and still not sure which is the best setup, formation or personnel.

Schmeichel 

Castagne 

Morgan 

Fofana 

Justin

Praet

Ndidi 

Tielemans 

Ünder
Vardy

Barnes

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Evans getting suspended throws a spanner in the works, otherwise I am almost certain we would play 4141 with Under, Barnes and Praet all coming into the team in place of Perez, Maddison and Albrighton. Now I imagine that Ndidi plays centre back, because Calvert-Lewin is fantastic in the air, and that means Mendy has to come into midfield. And if we are doing that, then there's an argument to go 3412.

But for me, I think I would go for:

Kasper

Justin  Ndidi   Fofana  Thomas

Mendy  

Under  Praet  Tielemans Barnes

Vardy

Only thing I would say is that Richarlison is their most dangerous player with James injured, so maybe he will play Praet right wing with Maddison inside and bring Under off the bench. That said JJ did a brilliant job on Adama Traore when he came off the bench for Wolves, so it might not be needed, and Under deserves to be getting games to start because he's oozing quality.

Regardless of what we do, I am excited for the game. Rodgers changing the formation during the game to change it up today makes me happy he won't be too stubborn if it's not working.

That 4-1-4-1 is the exact one I was thinking! If Evans was fit, I would be a lot more comfortable, but Mendy going in is alright too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Depends how we want to go at Spurs too, you don't want Fuchs playing 3 games a week if you can avoid it. Calvert-lewin will be a real threat given how we defend crosses and Kasper never leaving his line. Morgan could be an option but we'll have to play a three. Fofana, Morgan and Ndidi maybe. Can't see us risking Castagne from the start.

I hope we play 4, and concentrate on being a threat ourselves. Need to ensure we don't concede early on, we seem to need time to grow into a game. 

What difference does it make?

He’s either fit or not, and if he’s not he shouldn’t play at all.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Kasper

Castagne Fofana Ndidi Justin

Mendy Tielemans

Under Maddison Barnes

Vardy

Do Everton have Rodriguez or some fullbacks available?

Don’t think Rodriguez will be available to start, if at all.

Meanwhile, they had to play 4 CBs against Chelsea because their regular FBs are crocked.

2 hours ago, SuperMike said:

Lets face it, with Kasper glued to his line at corners and free kicks we are gonna concede headers and lose this one, no matter whether its a back 4 back 5 or back 6. If he were to come out and punch it occasionally (mebee when its 3 yards out????) then We would stand a very good chance of 3 points and top spot.

...the strange thing is, earlier in his tenure he always did this!!!

Not sure why he stopped as he was effective in doing so, but he now stands on the line, effectively putting the whole team under pressure. His kicking was pretty good and could consistently find his man out wide, down field, kicking out of hand.He obviously still believes he can pick out a player 50 -60 yards upfield and that is probably why he continues to do so.