Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Everton (H)..pre match thread

This is a game where despite always saying 4141 could be a game 5 could be ok for 3 reasons:

Everton arnt a ‘weaker’ team

A draw wouldn’t be a disaster here

Most importantly we are without Evans

I still think we could be good with 4 at the back as Everton don’t have much pace bar Richarlson and I think Morgan could cope with DCL especially with Fofanas pace next to him.

Kasper

Justin Fofana Morgan Thomas

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison

Under Vardy Barnes

Or we could go:

Kasper

Justin Fofana Morgan Fuchs Thomas

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison        Barnes

Vardy 

Perez Albrighton Under are all different options. This is a game where who knows what he will go with.

The one thing that he needs to not do though is move Ndidi to CB.

We need him in the CM position more than ever this game, with Docoure and Allan in there for them, we need a 3 with Wilf YT and either Praet or Madders. 

58 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Really confused as to how we should go for this. Everton seem to have no full backs, and with Under and Barnes fresh a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 looks dangerous.

But then its the whole Evans conundrum, do we go Ndidi or Morgan at the back, and does that mean we play it safer with 3 at the back?

Hoping we go for it, Carlo has said he will set up similar to they did at Chelsea so I expect them to sit deep.

4-2-3-1, Maddison in the hole, Ndidi at CB with Mendy coming into midfield for him. Under and Barnes on the wings (Unfortunate for Perez)

First league draw this season.

I don’t think we can afford to have N’didi in the back three. Particularly is Jàmes is playing.. really tough one to call, I wouldn’t trust Albrighton as a wing back against these either, just the type of game that would ruin him, so I’d be inclined to go with a three and bring Wes in, just because we need security at the back. Potentially a smash and grab kind of game, if they want to sit back then fair enough, Kean and Mina aren’t great, and if they play Awobi then we could probably afford to play Thomas as I don’t think he is up to much at all. 

Go with a back three, and let’s see if we can suck them out, they might come set up deep, but with the players they have it won’t stay that way, Vardy to pick them off and we squeeze a 1-0 victory! 

No way is Brendan not going to play the back five in this fixture.

It’s rapidly becoming our “away” fixture regardless of the opposition - and to be fair, it does seem to be getting results. 

I’m more concerned about what he does with the midfield. Can see him going very narrow again which will be bleak IMO. 

5 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

This is a game where despite always saying 4141 could be a game 5 could be ok for 3 reasons:

I still think we could be good with 4 at the back as Everton don’t have much pace bar Richarlson and I think Morgan could cope with DCL especially with Fofanas pace next to him.

Kasper

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison

Under Vardy Barnes

Or we could go:

Kasper

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison        Barnes

Vardy 

Perez Albrighton Under are all different options. This is a game where who knows what he will go with.

We need him in the CM position more than ever this game, with Docoure and Allan in there for them, we need a 3 with Wilf YT and either Praet or Madders. 

Might be better if Kasper is in the middle by the goal rather than over by the corner flag.

If we go 3 at the back wouldn’t be surprised if Ndidi is in the back 3 with (dare I say it) Mendy in DM role

Kasper

Albrighton, Ndidi, Fofana, Fuchs, Justin

Mendy

Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

Edited by Lesterlad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

If we go 3 at the back wouldn’t be surprised if Ndidi is in the back 3 with (dare I say it) Mendy in DM role

Kasper

Albrighton, Ndidi, Fofana, Fuchs, Justin

Mendy

Under Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

Might struggle to get away with playing 12 men! 

• Haha 3

N'didi would be wasted at the back, we need him in midfield. I'd play big Wes and Wes jr together. As long as we don't start with 5 at the back I'm optimistic about this. 4141 please. This should be a game made for Under (no Albrighton, thanks). A massive game indeed

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 2

If we have to rely on the oldest outfield player in the EPL, then we may struggle against Everton.  Hopefully Ndidi slots in and Mendy is back as DMF.  In BR we trust.

12 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I never said there wasn't a difference between those two things. You've got me wondering if you are being deliberately obtuse. Again, I ask, how do you expect him to get fit enough to play 90 minutes if you don't give him the time on the pitch he needs to build up that fitness?

How is a crowded schedule of games coming up an argument in your favour? That's precisely why it's so important that the injured players need to be reintroduced into the fold asap to lighten the load on the rest of the squad. What risk? The risk of a recurrence? There's always that risk. Are you just never going to pick him again in the fear that he breaks down again?

Juvenile. SMH

Regarding the SUBSTANTIVE discourse, not quite sure what exactly seems to befuddled between (1) if Timmy is only "fit enough to play 20-30 mins", I would leave him out altogether, and (2) if he is physically fit enough to play 90+ minutes but the staff think it unwise to do so, then I would play (and IMO, start) him with a predetermined substitution. The latter is how you build up his match fitness (distinct from physical fitness). 

As I previously noted, injuries can occur at anytime. Nevertheless, the risk here is that if a returning injured player is only "fit enough to play 20-30 mins" (your own words), which by definition implies that he's not 100% physically fit, there's a greater than lesser risk of recurrence. 

Edited by NaijaFox

8 hours ago, Guest said:

It's not really anything to do with literal or colloquial - that's just not what it means. Anyway, since you're evidently either a master wind-up merchant or a misguided AI experiment gone wrong, I'll leave you to it chief

That's okay. Can leave with your juvenile personal insults rest assured that while I have learnt the colloquial difference between 'spot kick' and 'set piece', you have learnt the literal difference between "shouldn't" and "couldn't". Learning is life-long, and I'm glad I can help. lol lol

6 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Kasper

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison

Under Vardy Barnes

Or we could go:

Kasper

Ndidi Tielemens

Maddison        Barnes

Vardy 

Personally, I think a makeshift five at the back including Morgan and Fuchs wouldn't be a great option, neither for me would wasting your best combative midfielder at centre half. 

A decent solid 4 with mobile competitive midfielders that can stop problems developing in the first place sounds a better option. Also, Everton's defence isn't likely to be at full strength either and a threesome of Barnes, Vardy and Under running at them would give them food for thought. Yes, we beat Brighton but, until Rodgers changed tactics, we could have been two down in the first 15 minutes. After that we seemed quite comfortable and Brighton didn't look like scoring. Calavart Lewin can't score if he doesn't get the ball but he could run Morgan and Fuchs ragged. Fuchs, as much as I like and admire him, is not a great centre half and I think it would be asking for trouble to pair him with Morgan who needs to keep an eye on Fofana. It's going to be an interesting one but I think we've got enough to deal with them. As someone said, a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

16 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Are you all sure we are playing tomorrow night?

5live were discussing Chelsea’s defeat tonight and the impact at the top of the table. They then talked solely about how Liverpool or Spurs can take advantage on Wednesday.

They're unbelievable aren't they!

• Like 1

Kasper

Forfana  Wes  Fuchs

Justin      Ndidi   Mendy     Thomas

Hamza Albrighton

Vardy

I honestly couldn't resist. Apologies if this joke has already been made!!! (It was for the guy who said we needed more defenders against Fulham!)

But in all seriousness, it's very exciting wondering who he'll pick between Maddison, Perez, Barnes, Under and Praet because right now any two are all brilliant options.

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

Oh, give over. You've already accused me of being stupid simply because I could not tell whether this:

"What difference does it make?

He’s either fit or not, and if he’s not he shouldn’t play at all."

...was meant as a joke or not. Surely, you can see how such a simplistic view of fitness might be deemed an attempt at humour?

I suspected you might be being deliberately obtuse because you will fight strawmen, move the goalposts and even change your position without ever conceding the point.

Re: your "SUBSTANTIVE discourse", the latter is him already being able to play the whole match. Again, I ask, how are you going to get him to that point? And by the way, I'll just remind you that you've already said "He’s either fit or not, and if he’s not he shouldn’t play at all," and also, "my position would be that it substantively makes no difference whether he starts and is subbed-off or he doesn't and is subbed-in." All of a sudden, there a difference between the two. Substantively.

You've said yourself that physical fitness and match fitness are not the same thing. Can a player not be 100% physically fit while at the same time less than 100% match fit?

Players returning from a long time out injured won't be 100% match fit. You have to give them minutes on the pitch to get them their match fitness. They won't be able to last a full match at first.

I have a suggestion borne of experience. Drop it fella :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1