Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Manchester United (H) Pre-Match

22 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Prawn Sandwich Brigade. 

In England, "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" is a derogatory term for the people who attend Association football matches primarily to enjoy luxury boxes and corporate hospitality, rather than support a team or enjoy the sport.

Source; Wikipedia.

Etc

This is marvellously entertaining.  :appl:

I did a vinegar wince when I read this word, however:

22 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

their city dwelling brethren's

lol

Edited by Vacamion

Just now, Vacamion said:

This is marvellously entertaining.  :appl:

I did a vinegar wince when I read this word, however:

lol

:worship: Thanks Vacamion, I appreciate this!

To make you Vinegar wince is why I write them :D

Edited by Danny Clender
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I really do not see that it will be the case!!!

We have approached games against United with too much deference and set up poorly as to negate any belief in the team. We tend to be like rabbits in a headlight and we do not function in these games.

It is not a case of injuries or suspensions, just an approach that does not work and I hope we look to be more positive. So long as Maddison is not pushed out wide, at least we will be attempting to compete rather than the abject surrender that normally transpires.

There was no intention on my part to imply this is anything approaching a done deal, yet I thought the way the whole team performed against Spurs hinted at a more disciplined and steadfast approach. So the proviso is that they don't fold under the 'onslaught' or don't fold if they go one or even two goals down. Even if they experience the latter, I'd still like to see them keep going at United. You're so right about the "rabbits in a headlight" response - in life you have to develop a coping mechanism to deal with adversity and some of the younger guys haven't got that. There also has to be an identification with the team - last season both Soyuncu and Evans forgot that in their fits of temper.

I think, as I stated, that N'Didi and Castagne brought two stabilising influences and Castagne's reported comments about not giving "stupid" goals away suggest that he demands as much of himself as anyone else might demand of him. That's just the kind of attitude that City need. Schmeichel is a top goalie and he tries to lead from in between the sticks, yet he can be awfully sloppy at times. 'Leading by example' is the phrase that comes to mind.

I agree totally about Maddison, he has the technique to justify his operating at the heart of the forward midfield. I think we also need a player who combines the attributes of Perez and Iheanacho - clever feet combined with the ability to hold the ball and then turn a defence.

Hands up who wouldn't want to see Mo Salah arrive on Santa Top's sleigh this transfer window :D :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gerblod said:

There was no intention on my part to imply this is anything approaching a done deal, yet I thought the way the whole team performed against Spurs hinted at a more disciplined and steadfast approach. So the proviso is that they don't fold under the 'onslaught' or don't fold if they go one or even two goals down. Even if they experience the latter, I'd still like to see them keep going at United. You're so right about the "rabbits in a headlight" response - in life you have to develop a coping mechanism to deal with adversity and some of the younger guys haven't got that. There also has to be an identification with the team - last season both Soyuncu and Evans forgot that in their fits of temper.

I think, as I stated, that N'Didi and Castagne brought two stabilising influences and Castagne's reported comments about not giving "stupid" goals away suggest that he demands as much of himself as anyone else might demand of him. That's just the kind of attitude that City need. Schmeichel is a top goalie and he tries to lead from in between the sticks, yet he can be awfully sloppy at times. 'Leading by example' is the phrase that comes to mind.

I agree totally about Maddison, he has the technique to justify his operating at the heart of the forward midfield. I think we also need a player who combines the attributes of Perez and Iheanacho - clever feet combined with the ability to hold the ball and then turn a defence.

Hands up who wouldn't want to see Mo Salah arrive on Santa Top's sleigh this transfer window :D :rolleyes:

.. never mind "Miracle on 34th Street ", it would be more " The day the Earth stood still "...!!!

• Haha 1

The Man U team are a bit similar to us in lots of respects.

The thrive against team that want to play and allow them to counterattack, but struggle against teams that sit back and let them have the ball.

They also have a tendency to self destruct and have a totally off day.

For me we approach it in the same we did the Spurs game.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

Like every other game against United, I expect Leicester to look like the better dude for most of the match and then concede a soft penalty to one of their players going down in the box at the slightest contact. Bruno fernandes will show and then we'll be chasing the game from behind and concede another goal or two on the counter.

Hope I am wrong lol

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

For me we approach it in the same manage we did the Spurs game.

I agree, our approach/mentality should be more like the Spurs game and not the Liverpool game. We have Palace (H) then NUFC (A) (28th & 3rd) which gives BR a chance to rotate a little. 

The thing I hope is at the end of the season when the team looks back they don't regret taking their chances against the "smaller" teams. Losing to teams like Liverpool are what they are, no shame in it. But if we'd just got a few points from Fulham, Villa, WH... (teams we'd hope to get points from) we could be top of the table going into the new year. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

The Man U team are a bit similar to us in lots of respects.

The thrive against team that want to play and allow them to counterattack, but struggle against teams that sit back and let them have the ball.

They also have a tendency to self destruct and have a totally off day.

For me we approach it in the same manage we did the Spurs game.

I'm amazed at the difference in Man U with and without Fernandes, He really makes the team tick, the difference in reults when he came in are quite stark, without him against West Ham they looked awful and West Ham could have easily been 2 or 3 up at half time. Enter Bruno at half time and they comfortably win and could of have scored more. I've not seen a better player yet this season.

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm amazed at the difference in Man U with and without Fernandes, He really makes the team tick, the difference in reults when he came in are quite stark, without him against West Ham they looked awful and West Ham could have easily been 2 or 3 up at half time. Enter Bruno at half time and they comfortably win and could of have scored more. I've not seen a better player yet this season.

I can't stand the way he dives around and cheats. He's a top footballer though and someone you'd love in the team. You can tell he has really high standards and expects everybody to match his effort, having someone like that alongside you will raise everyones performance levels.

If he was to pick up a long term injury they'd be mid table fodder.

• Like 3

What the heck is that stupidity going on with Fernandes' one-a-game-guaranteed penalties? The hop and the step- okay ; but the jump??? Its getting ridiculous now. Next he'll be pulling on Punch and Judy glove puppets and shouting 'whos a naughty boy then' just to put off the goalkeepers. RIDICULOUS. he's an a**e.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I think thats why Ndidi is so important for this game.

Be interesting to see who plays in the League cup game against Everton tonight. 

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

What the heck is that stupidity going on with Fernandes' one-a-game-guaranteed penalties? The hop and the step- okay ; but the jump??? Its getting ridiculous now. Next he'll be pulling on Punch and Judy glove puppets and shouting 'whos a naughty boy then' just to put off the goalkeepers. RIDICULOUS. he's an a**e.

I’ve got to agree.I can’t be doing with this running on the spot shit,and slow run ups.Just put the ****ing ball down,run up,and hit it as hard as possible wherever they want to put it.Must really piss off there team mates when they miss!

Edited by Speedwell 🦊
  • Like 1