Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle (a) - Match Thread - 03/01/2021

11 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

NBC is beginning to act like Sky.  45 minute pre-game show, ten minutes on Newcastle-Leicester, then the rest of the time on the 'big 6' upcoming matches.

Sky spent the first 15 minutes of the build up to Newcastle United and Leicester City constantly referring to the Manchester clubs as City and United. 🙄

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, majaco said:

I think Albrighton and Castagne may be wing backs today

I think we'll see both formations at different times during the match today.

3/5atb when Newcastle have a (hopefully) short period of strong play, and 4atb whenever we're in control of the game. No one formation is going to be 100% effective 100% of the time, so hopefully we'll be able to adapt as needed. It pays to be fluid, and Rodgers has done an excellent job in getting the team capable of playing both styles, especially when he's had to contend with so many absences throughout the last 12 months. Maybe now that we're starting to get a full squad back together we might be able to see just how much benefit that creates.

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They may not be that good but doesn't mean they can't pose a threat. It's good to have defensive cover. I don't get why it's such a contentious point for Albrighton to play. It means it's a side that can be well-balanced. 

No doubt if we were caught on the break because Justin attacked down the right you'd get some fans being like 'if we had some defensive cover that could have been prevented' :dunno:

I'm sure there would be. To do what you've done, if we create few chances and don't win then some people will be saying "if we played better attacking players we would have won that". Some people like Bielsa's style on here and some like Sean Dyche's football. We all percieve the game differently. Some people like to see attacking football and some people like to play it safe and be solid.

For me, a game against a deep back 9 and 3 centre backs is not one that I want to see a limited winger playing in. Under hopefully gets 20-30 at the end anyway, I'm assuming he can't be fully fit to start.

On the plus side, we will dominate the midfield in this game. The longstaffs are triers but not a patch on our midfield

Albrighton is currently playing because he gives Brendan tactical flexibility within the game. When Pereira is fit no doubt he will replace Albrighton in that role. 

We can switch between a 4-1-4-1 and the 3-4-2-1 with Albrighton playing and that’s not possible with Under/Perez.