Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Ricardo Pereira

Technically he's good and as we don't play with overlapping full backs, then his role is either the one he play now or an out and out winger. I'm more than happy with how he's performing in a new role. We are only 11 games into a season, all the squad are learning a new style and his, Winks and Vestegaard's roles are essential to the the style working effectively.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sorry, but this just shows such a massive misunderstanding of the modern game and the way we play, it's laughable.

He's doing exactly what is being asked of him, and is doing it very well. So well in fact that we have won 10 out of 12 games in total. There aren't many fullbacks or CDMs in football that are good enough to play a role like his, where he has to change position and role depending on the phase of play and ball position. It's because he is so good at doing it that it gives us a platform of stability to base our attacks on.

In the last two games we've only given up two shots on target against us, but scored 5. And one of the key reasons for that is because Ricardo makes the extra man with Winks to give us all the benefits of a double pivot, without sacrificing an offensive player. In the last two games he's also been pivotal to goals with key passes forward in the offensive third. When teams sit back as deep as Bristol, Preston and Stoke, there is no space for Ricardo to run into or attack. Enzo Maresca's system is about shifting the defensive block of the opponent such that one of our wide players is 1v1 versus a defender. And the way we are able to shift their block so successfully is because of the Winks / Ricardo partnership. Ricardo could be one of those wide players, but he isn't as fast or as tricky as Fatawu, Mavididi or Yunus.

We should be applauding him for taking like a duck to water to a role that is extremely complex. Some high profile players that have been asked to do a similar job and failed badly are Sofyan Amrabat at Man United and Thomas Partey at Arsenal.

Sorry about that Arsene.

FFS..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I do agree that Ricardo has probably been the weakest player of our regular XI though tbf. It’s a high bar so it’s not a criticism, just an observation.

But sometimes people on here make out he’s the same player he was 4 years ago when he just doesn’t have that explosiveness anymore. Not convinced we’ll ever see him up and down the wing all game like he did 3 or 4 seasons back.

Seen several times he’s a “cheat code at this level” on here, I don’t really think we’ve seen that for 3 seasons since his injury though. Still think he’s a tidy player at this level and not a concern or anything but he’s not really a standout player or anything these days like he was pre-injury.

Weakest player?? You watch a different Ricardo to me. He was excellent today and he’s been excellent all season. He plays a key role and it’s quite a complicated one. Playing as both a fullback and a central midfielder receiving the ball always under pressure. Alongside Winks and Vestergaard, he’s been absolutely key in that central area to allow the team to play Maresca-ball. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Raj said:

Sorry about that Arsene.

FFS..

Dunno why the sarcastic response, he’s spot on.

Regardless of the system Enzo wants us to play, Ricardo hasn’t got the same marauding athleticism since his injuries that he used to have back when he was one of the best wing backs in the country. He’s certainly nowhere near as quick as he used to be.

• Haha 1

I do agree that Ricardo has probably been the weakest player of our regular XI though tbf. It’s a high bar so it’s not a criticism, just an observation.

But sometimes people on here make out he’s the same player he was 4 years ago when he just doesn’t have that explosiveness anymore. Not convinced we’ll ever see him up and down the wing all game like he did 3 or 4 seasons back.

Seen several times he’s a “cheat code at this level” on here, I don’t really think we’ve seen that for 3 seasons since his injury though. Still think he’s a tidy player at this level and not a concern or anything but he’s not really a standout player or anything these days like he was pre-injury.

Woah weakest player? Man he’s been class. Can’t imagine many championship players playing the inverted full back role 

• Like 1

Stopped reading this after the words weakest player

• Like 1

As if anyone is criticising him! His general footballing quality enables him to do this role, and do it well. We’re never going to see the Ricardo who we signed bombing down the wing, but given his injuries this role suits him down to the ground. He’s really good in close quarter combat as well, and tidy on the edge of the opposition box.

• Like 4

I saw he made a special effort to acknowledge Union FS at full time, to an extent. Plus him actually living within the city boundary, makes me happy to know he’s captain for many of our games this season. Feels like he loves being at the club. They like to wheel him out for media duties, he speaks intelligently and concisely for someone who is speaking in a second language! 

• Like 3