Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

On 24/02/2021 at 16:53, Nick said:

This should perhaps be in the unpopular opinions thread but I’ve been impressed with Lingard since he joined the hammers... Maybe would be a great back up for Maddison in the middle of the park, plus as a utility as he can play just about anywhere in a front three - certainly not a ridiculous solution to the issues we face right now?

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

In retrospect a loan move for him might have been a good option for us, as it would have given us an additional body for the sheer number of games we have to play.

I can't say I'm his biggest fan as either a person or a player, but he's let his performances do the talking since going to West Ham, so air paly to him. He was actually on loan here once before when we were in the Championship.

Sometimes, it's not necessarily the quality of the player but the fit.

While Lingard has been a great fit at West Ham, I'm afraid that I struggle to see the same fit with us.

At West Ham, he seems to be allowed a lot of leeway that I just do not see Brendan giving him here.

Edited by NaijaFox

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Sometimes, it's not necessarily the quality of the player but the fit.

While Lingard has been a great fit at West Ham, I'm afraid that I struggle to see the same fit with us.

At West Ham, he seems to be allowed a lot of leeway that I just do not see Brendan giving him here.

Whatever that means 😆 

Think last night could be a real weapon for Brendon to use when discussing transfer activity for the summer. Granted the injuries we have are unlikely to be repeated next year, but there are a few players who are solid prem players at best, and to get to the next level they need replacing with players of european quality.

Striker, a couple of wingers & a central midfielder for me.

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Our first 11 when everyone is fit is very strong.

the problem is our 2nd 11 isn’t. This means the first 11 need to play more than they should and then when they do get tired/injured the back up isn’t strong enough 

I am not sure that's quite the way to judge it. You want your strongest 11, and then think about how strong your team is if you rotate out 3-4 players.  You would want to be able to cover any combination of 3-4 players being replaced at any one time. When fully fit, our first 11 plus 7 subs is very strong. In addition to the obvious injuries, there are some players, like tielemans and ndidi, that if you take them out, it just leaves a gaping hole. Whereas our defence is relatively strong, so you can cover playing Thomas or amartey, to rotate players out, without too much overall damage. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Our first 11 when everyone is fit is very strong.

the problem is our 2nd 11 isn’t. This means the first 11 need to play more than they should and then when they do get tired/injured the back up isn’t strong enough 

There are lots of places in the team whereby that's a tad incorrect. We have Fofana for Soyuncu, jj/Castagna/ricardo/thomas all play at either RB or LB meaning 2 arent required. Fuchs in a back 3. Amartey at RB or RCB. Praet is more than adequate for a backup for Maddison. Mendy for ndidi who has a good distribution of the ball. While ineacho doesn't necessarily play to our style, he's a good backup for vardy and his goal ratio proves that. Lastly danny ward for schmeichel is more than capable.

• Like 1

We will not sign Under... just doesn’t perform for me....

We have no depth on the wing x 2. Centre /attacking mid... 

A forward or two also needed.

A 4th CB

and I would probably say a fullback now with JJ out til Xmas probably..

with CL/EL possible next season we will need a strong squad..

Wes and Fuchs will leave along with Hamza i imagine...

we need to use the carrot of European football to attract players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UHDrive said:

There are lots of places in the team whereby that's a tad incorrect. We have Fofana for Soyuncu, jj/Castagna/ricardo/thomas all play at either RB or LB meaning 2 arent required. Fuchs in a back 3. Amartey at RB or RCB. Praet is more than adequate for a backup for Maddison. Mendy for ndidi who has a good distribution of the ball. While ineacho doesn't necessarily play to our style, he's a good backup for vardy and his goal ratio proves that. Lastly danny ward for schmeichel is more than capable.

They are all adequate replacements but let’s be honest there would be a meltdown of epic proportions on here if Ndidi was rested for Mendy or madders was rested for praet etc. For me there is a difference between a player being able to step in as opposed to being genuine competition for a place 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

They are all adequate replacements but let’s be honest there would be a meltdown of epic proportions on here if Ndidi was rested for Mendy or madders was rested for praet etc. For me there is a difference between a player being able to step in as opposed to being genuine competition for a place 

It’s not realistic for us (or any club bar the elite world few) to be signing “genuine competition” for our best players. Ndidi, Maddison, Soyuncu and Vardy are among the best players in their position in the league. To sign genuine competition for them would mean picking up the absolute top players in the league or on the continent (and paying for it) which is not going to happen - those players would have the pick of any club, so why would they come to one that is just below that elite level to be competition?

What we have sort of stumbled upon this season could be a sign of the near future for us - developing very good players who are comfortable in multiple positions. Justin, Castagne and Ricardo are the obvious ones, to a lesser extent the likes of Albrighton, Praet, Perez, Amartey, Fuchs and others. Being able to play in multiple positions keeps them involved in the squad and they get more game time. They are more familiar with the patterns and the players.

I think we will value that sort of flexibility more and more - the old image of a “utility player” who is just OK in a few positions is being replaced by genuinely class players who can excel wherever they play. To be fair, it probably also takes a good coach to understand which players can do this and how to assess their relative strengths and cover weaknesses or differences when they switch, which is something Rodgers can clearly do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

It’s not realistic for us (or any club bar the elite world few) to be signing “genuine competition” for our best players. Ndidi, Maddison, Soyuncu and Vardy are among the best players in their position in the league. To sign genuine competition for them would mean picking up the absolute top players in the league or on the continent (and paying for it) which is not going to happen - those players would have the pick of any club, so why would they come to one that is just below that elite level to be competition?

What we have sort of stumbled upon this season could be a sign of the near future for us - developing very good players who are comfortable in multiple positions. Justin, Castagne and Ricardo are the obvious ones, to a lesser extent the likes of Albrighton, Praet, Perez, Amartey, Fuchs and others. Being able to play in multiple positions keeps them involved in the squad and they get more game time. They are more familiar with the patterns and the players.

I think we will value that sort of flexibility more and more - the old image of a “utility player” who is just OK in a few positions is being replaced by genuinely class players who can excel wherever they play. To be fair, it probably also takes a good coach to understand which players can do this and how to assess their relative strengths and cover weaknesses or differences when they switch, which is something Rodgers can clearly do. 

A great post.  I think it is the way we are going, getting in players who are technically good enough to be able to play well in several positions.  It not only allows them to be able to replace different positions depending on injuries or bad form, but also makes it possible for the team to more easily change tactics and/or formations during the game.  I think we are beginning to see instances of this latter ability as this season has progressed.